Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
inflatable mattress

On April 25th we picked up our 2009 anniversary edition 3400RL. It's a beauty inside and out. Our show-through was rather fast and we were trying to take mental and written notes, but were told that "all that information is in the pack of manuals". Right???!!! Among other info missing was anything describing the inflatable mattress. They did show us how to set it up, inflate and deflate during the showing. What we don't remember is will the inflation stop automatically?? Also, we have noticed a manual-type valve at the foot end of the mattress. Is this for manual inflation/deflation or does it have to be open during inflation to prevent over-inflation?
Any and all answers would be appreciated... including any problems or suggestions for proper or better use of the mattress. Thanks!

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
I am sorry that we cannot be of any help. When we bought ours, we never did have anyone show us how to operate it either. We, too, will be interested in any response to this issue.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
I do not recall if we have any instructions with our mattress, I will have to look. I do not think that it has automatic shut off, you stop inflating it when the person that is going to sleep on it think it feels right. We have inflated it and then delated or inflated more after testing it. I believe the opening on the end is for manual inflation and we do not open it when inflating with the pump. I do not know if the pump runs on 12V (I would think not) so if you do not have electrical hookups you would have to manually inflate it. I would never walk away while inflating the mattress, it inflates so quickly, and I think overinflating to the point of damaging it would pretty obvious if you are watching it. Also like any air mattress, too much air is not very comfortable. These are just my opinions from using ours, our son thinks it is realy comfortable especially after sleeping on the hide-a-bed in our old TT with the bar embedded in his back. Hope this helps.

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
Congratulations on your new RV. We picked out new 10th anniversary on April 28th. It's a 3465SA. We love the new air mattress. On a previous RV with a hide-a-bed, we used to blow up an air mattress and put it on top of the existing mattress so that we wouldn't feel that bar across the back. Big improvement.
During our walk through, I recall being told that the shut-off is not automatic-you have to stop it when it reaches your comfort level. Same for the deflating-you have to stop it yourself. Although, I didn't really look at the valve at the foot of the mattress, I do recall the guy saying that there was a release so that you could deflate manually. I didn't look to see if there was a valve to inflate as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above. It does not stop automatically. You have to deflate manually also. All you need to use is the electrical pump to inflate and deflate.

Now, I snore, wife will sleep on air mattress. I woke up one morning and found her sleeping on the floor. The air mattress had deflated itself. She pumped it up 4 times during the night and then gave up. That little manual valve you are talking about at the foot of the air mattress, well give it a hand tight turn to make sure it is closed and you will not be sleeping on the floor.

Be careful when you are closing it up that it is not crimped between any of the metal parts. You don't have to be OVERLY cautious, but just be careful. There is a small repair kit that comes with the mattress. You will probably find it in the pull out under the sofa. Oh! Yes! Grab the bottom of the sofa nd gently pull. 99% of the newer air mattress beds have a pull out for storage.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey Wayne have you had your sleep study yet, I hate to start some fight in the house but I finally gave in and my mask comes next week ,,I guess its better for both as i am not breathing all nite as that is the next step ,, sorry to step on your toes but give it a try, if you never talk to me again i will know why , its not the tires that is the problem john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
Sleep Apnia is only one reason for snoring. My problem is I'm overweight AGAIN. I lost over 50 pounds in 2003-2004 and the snoring decreased considerably. Now I'm back up in weight and I need the weight police to monitor me.

I think the air mattress helps as it provides a better posture support when you are laying down if you don't overfill it using the autmatic pump. DW also puts a 1 inch foam topper on it.

I have , as of today, one of the two inch memory foam, temperature senstive. I know I'll not snore when I use it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What Wayne said...

The inflation is easy to tell when you are full - if you want it full - the motor will change pitch. The switch inflates one way and deflates the opposite way. I never use the manual valve. That would be your "12v only" solution.

Also Wayne mentions the temp (and the solution). On a cooler night, sleeping on the airbed with no thick mattress pad, or foam, will be a little cool/cold. The transfer of heat out of the air in the bed to the slide floor beneath is VERY efficient...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you one and all for your information, suggestions, tips and advice. We ordered a king bed in our 3400RL but if our 6'5" 20 year old college son should join us, he will be the one to "test" out the air mattress. And then there is a grandchild or two who may join us, and they'll get to test it too. Unfortunately, the young ones still love to jump on mattresses so we'll have to nip that in the bud right away! Happy Travels!!
PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also, FYI, that air bed is a queen mattress. Our first look when we got it... wife said "full" - I said "queen". We bought full sheets. Had to exchange them. 'Nough said.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Steve,

Our 18 year old son is also 6'5" and like I said finds the air mattress very comfortable.

Sharon

BTW Wayne, I started wearing ear plugs a couple of years ago so I could continue sleeping uninterrupted with Kevin. Sometimes he snores and sometimes he doesn't, we can't find any real reason even with memory foam toppers, pillows, etc. and yes he has seen a doctor. This is probably TMI but now I'm happy and you know what they say about that.

krtam is offline   Reply With Quote