Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
Power Out

Just got back from our first weekend out this year with no problems. I get back home and can barely get unhitched even with shore power. Batteries are dead and no electrical even though plugged in at the house. Any ideas?

bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
It won’t even work plugged into your pickup?

Mark
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There is not enough info to answer. You need to tell what rig, model, year, and in this case, what batteries and anything else that can be related to your problem.
Without any of this info, it is very possible that your battery bypass switch is turned off, which would cause your batteries to not be charged, as your converter, which is what makes 12 volts DC out of 120 volts AC, needs to be connected to your batteries to get them charged. If the red switch in your convenience center is off, and this is when the key can be removed from the switch, your batteries are not connected. It is possible that you went all weekend running on batteries and they are now dead, and even when connected to shore power, the power from the converter is not enough to operate the jacks. You must have fully charged batteries, or very close to fully charged to get the jacks and leveling system to work.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We need more information to help you out? but jest in case is thew battery cut off out?

Bob & Carol
2017 352RL
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
Still no 120 volt power

The unit is a 2015 353RL High Country.

The battery disconnect is on and was not off. I have charged the batteries and have 12 volt power. I have checked all breakers in the panel and everything is good. I have pulled the panel in the basement to get to the converter and checked the fuses, all good.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Check your 7 pin connector, possibly blew the fuse in your truck and it is not charging when hooked to truck.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright View Post
The unit is a 2015 353RL High Country.

The battery disconnect is on and was not off. I have charged the batteries and have 12 volt power. I have checked all breakers in the panel and everything is good. I have pulled the panel in the basement to get to the converter and checked the fuses, all good.

Any other ideas?
Can you pull the key out of the battery disconnect switch? There is always confusion on which is the disconnect position, if you can pull the key out, your battery is disconnected. On meaning that the disconnect is ON and the battery is disconnected. Just a thought.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
IF all the 12volt is dead in the coach. Before you do anything else follow Bob's advice and check the battery isolation switch. You will have to give the inverter a while to recharge the batteries. To get around that you could use jumper cables from your truck to test to see if it is actually a weak battery issue. Bob is right the inverter is by no means strong enough to power the jacks alone you need the batteries charged.

IF only the jacks are not operating: Hook up your jumper cables (make darn sure your battery cables are good) from the truck to the power leads for the jacks and see if they operate normally. It is fairly common for landing gear to get bent or not have enough grease or the motor to get weak etc....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
I'm not the best at explaining things sometimes, however, the problem is not with the batteries, I do not have 120 volt power in the RV.

All was fine last weekend at the lake, got home on Sunday last week and I have no 120 volt power.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You need to check your power cord first if it is good then check the the plug in in the back of the trailer I have seen them come apart inside if it hasn't then start checking the rest of the way up to the breaker panel. make sure you use a volt meter

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LN 4x4 6.7L

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
You need to check your power cord first if it is good then check the the plug in in the back of the trailer I have seen them come apart inside if it hasn't then start checking the rest of the way up to the breaker panel. make sure you use a volt meter

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LN 4x4 6.7L

Happy Trails
Ditto to Bob. You threw us off with the couldn’t unhitch comment. The landing gear are 12 volt.

A volt meter is a must have tool for an RV owner. It allows you to start at the power source and work your way downstream fairly quickly and isolate your problem.

Since your entire coach is dead it is most likely one of the issues Bob mentioned or it could be the plugs themselves. Those plugs have a lot of high amp juice on them and can overheat and or arc over time. Need to inspect them often.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
I finally got some time this afternoon do a little more digging in to the source of my lack of 120 volt. After a quick trip to Home Depot to purchase a Non Contact AC detector, I found that my 50 amp to 30 amp adapter cord was defective. Really strange how it worked one day and not the next.

Problem solved! I had an extra adapter in the RV and quickly had 120 volt power to the Montana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-50 amp plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	1428