Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
sewer dump

We have a 2019 high country 374 that has 2 dump lines. I no the larger one at the rear is black so does the front one do both kitchen and shower. only reason is for cleaning purpose. I don't like switching hose to other side before rinsing with grey water. Not there long enough to buy a tee and do the hole three way hook up.

vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We have a 3701LK and have 2 drain connections. With the wye, I have what I call a sewer system.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Isn't there another pull handle close to rear tires? My front handle is the shower....next one back is toilet and the last one is for kitchen sink
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree somewhere along the frame and near the tires you should have another drain for the kitchen gray tank.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Yes the other line drains both gray tanks.

Everyone is correct. There should be a three dump valve pulls
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
I have a 2018 375. Same as 374 but with residential refrigerator. Not sure if there was a change from 2018 to 2019 but I have 3 dump handles. One grey and one black in the compartment near the back of the trailer and another grey under the kitchen slide out.
KevinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Yes that's what I have but I was hooked to the black line at back and when I pulled the other valve in the compartment grey water shot out of the front sewer line under the kitchen slide. I do have another valve up by the first sewer connections which was for the sink.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
For no good reason keystone did not group the grey tank valve handles together. Instead (on ours at least) they put one grey handle by grey dump cap and other is right beside the black tank handle close to black tank outlet. It’s like they were doing as much as possible to confuse owners. I actually pulled Corplast down just to verify. Zero reaso to do it that way....,

And just to compound the stupidity the two handles that are together are directly behind a tire. Which of course is even harder to reach and assures if you have a blowout or catch a board with tire etc. that the valve handles will be destroyed.....

Amazing engineering
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
That's the problem I have no grey water coming out of the back drain when I pull the grey lever in the compartment. So only black in the hose,so I have had to disconnect a yuky black hose and connect to the front drain to clean it with grey water
Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #10
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
re plumb

Well spent some time last night and I think iam going to redo the plumbing under the trailer. My 374 fl model has a drain coming from the kitchen sink and drains in front of my tires. with the valve in the same location. My shower and bathroom sink drain into the same pipe but the valve is in the back compartment with the black valve. the only thing coming out of the back drain is black water and sometimes I have no way to clean sewer hose after dumping. so my idea is to repipe the shower back to the 4inch drain that way I have some way to atleast clean the sewer hose with some grey water.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Having 2 dump hoses is as stupid as it gets. I don" see any reason Keystone did this. What a pain in the but to run 1 hose so they thought lets expand the camping experience and add another hose. BRILLIANT.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
Well spent some time last night and I think iam going to redo the plumbing under the trailer. My 374 fl model has a drain coming from the kitchen sink and drains in front of my tires. with the valve in the same location. My shower and bathroom sink drain into the same pipe but the valve is in the back compartment with the black valve. the only thing coming out of the back drain is black water and sometimes I have no way to clean sewer hose after dumping. so my idea is to repipe the shower back to the 4inch drain that way I have some way to atleast clean the sewer hose with some grey water.
You have it exactly right. However there is a solution. First always drain the black tank first. Then you at least flush the hose with gray water. Yes this may require you to back trailer up a few feet depending on the location

Second you have a black water tank flush

Third if no flush water available at the dump station you can leave some water in your fresh water tank and use the onboard 12volt pump for flush water via outside shower/wash down hose. I use the pump even if there is flush water available as I have added a Y to make it easy
Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
You have it exactly right. However there is a solution. First always drain the black tank first. Then you at least flush the hose with gray water. Yes this may require you to back trailer up a few feet depending on the location

Second you have a black water tank flush

Third if no flush water available at the dump station you can leave some water in your fresh water tank and use the onboard 12volt pump for flush water via outside shower/wash down hose. I use the pump even if there is flush water available as I have added a Y to make it easy
I have always down it that way just makes me mad they couldn't pipe the shower 2 ft to the right inside. then I could of flush grey right after black thru sewer hose.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Having 2 dump hoses is as stupid as it gets. I don" see any reason Keystone did this. What a pain in the but to run 1 hose so they thought lets expand the camping experience and add another hose. BRILLIANT.
But they do depending on the layout of the 5th wheel.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
I have the 3700LK and I have 2 drains as well and the connect using a "Y" into the CG's drain connection and I gotta admit I hate it. If the "Y" isn't "downhill" just enough, the kitchen tank doesn't drain. I like the separate tanks, but I think 1 drain location would've worked just as well if not better then having 2
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Freedom2017

M.O.C. #20957
We have 2017 model 3921 FB and we have one discharge connection, but two grey water tanks and two black water tanks, both feed into the same drain. We also have two water connections to wash/flush the black tanks I usually drain the black tanks first then drain the grey water tanks second, while having the drain valves closed on both black tanks , I fill/ wash the black tanks while draining the grey. This way the black tanks usually flush mostly clear when I drain the second time.
Freedom2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
mpgarcia

M.O.C. #14040
From what I am reading, it sounds like the folks at Keystone build these things, but don't actually use them. I have a 2013 3582RL and the sewer system is very well laid out. Too bad they couldn't have done a better on the later ones I am reading about.

2018 Chevy High Country Dually w/Duramax
2013 3582RL
mpgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #18
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I have had 6 different fv,ers in the past 10 years. This the first with 2 drains. I don't care it has 2 drains I just wish at least one of the grey tanks had of drained with the black. Iam not keen on disconnecting the black and crawl under my slide with the hose in hand. Iam not in one spot long enough some times to run a tee and 2 lines, then flush the black out. Maybe when I retire I can slow down and enjoy it better. Lot of time spent dry camping at nascar, pull over in a rest area and drain
Old 08-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I suspect separating the gray from black tanks is a California environmental thing either already a law or soon will be. Nothing like a poorly thought out environmental law to make life more difficult without really improving anything. Sorta like the supposedly “no spill” gas can spouts!!!

There is ONE upside though. It does make it easier to equalize the gray tanks if needed....

But I am with the rest of you that it was better the old way alltied together with one outlet!!!