Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Belti Guy

M.O.C. #20553
Newbe GPS request

Hello All, We just bought a Montana 3000RK this fall and have taken a couple short trips. We haven't camped extensively since the 70's and then in a tent, and this is our first foray into the RV world. There are two areas I want to address before we take off to Georgia and over to Texas in mid February. The first is tires and after reading several very informative threads on this forum on tires I've decided to get a set of Sailun tires. This forum is a fantastic source of information and ideas for maintaining and utilizing our Montana. My second area I want to address is a RV GPS unit. I've studied all the threads in this forum I could find on GPS units and looked at Amazon reviews for most GPS units and at the specific GPS websites. About the only common fact I could find is that people either really like or really hate a specific unit. Most units don't seem to have many middle ground reviews. Is this caused by widely divergent expectations, or are a large portion of each Make/Model defective, or are they not setting them up correctly? Most of the existing threads are a couple of years or more old, so I'm hoping that maybe a better consensus has developed in the last couple of years. So, would you please once again let me know what you would recommend for a RV GPS.

Belti Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think most GPS do a reasonably good job of getting you to your final destination, when used with a touch of common sense. They CAN lead you astray. I always use google maps on my computer or phone before I head out to new areas to make sure I know where the roads lead and I can anticipate what is ahead. Sometimes I even print out detailed maps before I leave home of any area where multiple turns and highway intersections are expected.

I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips on a laptop (many years ago and it took me to a dead end street with a rocky low water crossing), an older Garmin (wanted me to take a 4x4 back entrance into the Great Sand Dunes NP but I knew better), a newer Garmin (never led me on any bad routes, but wanted some I knew were not the most efficient), the built in GPS in my F350 and the built in GPS in my DW's Expedition. Of all of them, the F350 and the Expy have been the most reliable as far as getting to the final destination in the easiest manner.

I now use them more for the miles to next turn, lane to be in on multiple lane highways approaching turns and/or interchanges (the pictures that pop up look exactly like the actual highway lanes and signs), and estimated time of arrival features, and when nearing a destination and seeking a final address. When on the highway, I typically already know where and how I am going.

Lifetime free map updates is a great feature. I can still get free map updates on my years old Garmins. Wish they were free for my Fords.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
GPS is good to back up your route planning when something changes along the way such as a detour and they are not bad for finding food or other services enroute. I have had several different units, mostly Garmin but would not recommend a particular unit. If you have a smart phone with Google maps or Apple maps they work as good or better than most of the stand alone GPS units. I don't see a need for a RV specific unit. Any of the GPS units can lead you into trouble if you blindly follow it - it is not so much an issue with the GPS as the map program installed and how current it is.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have Garmin on my I phone and pad. It’s OK and that’s all I can say about it but I do like better than the one on my 2013 Ford. I put a Kenwood radio and Garmin GPS with backup camera in my MH and again it’s OK but that’s all. My all time favorite is Delorme Street atlas but it’s no longer in production. I will take me where I would like to go on any route I would like to travel. Since you already have the computer I might know where you can find one.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I use my trucks GPS and my iPhones Google Maps for my driving. The one extra step I do once I see where my route is going is to check any non-interstate areas I am unfamiliar with for potential low bridge/clearance issues. To do that, I use All Stays app and carry an Rand McNally trucker map/atlas book as a backup to check areas.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I use a Garmin RV 760 and like the fact I put in rig weight, length, and height. It has kept me off routes with low over passes and underweight bridges...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Those of you using cell phone, have you ever lost signal and needed to revert regular GPS unit?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Belti Guy

M.O.C. #20553
Thanks for the replies. Lynwood mentioned he liked the Delorme Street atlas, but it has been discontinued. I looked it up on Google and one of the other links was a link for CoPilot. https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/ It said it's the best replacement for Delorme Street atlas. It is an app that you can download on to a smart phone, Ipad, or laptop. Does anyone have experience with this app? It sounds good, but doesn't give a lot of detail on functionality.
Belti Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We use a Garmin & phone we update the Garmin about every 6 months to keep up
with all changes going on with the high way work going on across the country and have had good luck with it till they come up with something better. Good choice on the tire upgrade.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I use the Rand McNally that Good Sam partnered with. It has keep us off of roads with low bridge clearance in the past. You can plan trips on the Good Sam site and down load it into the GPS. It'll locate campgrounds for you and much more. Having said that DW also uses her phone and google maps as a backup. The pass summer we took a trip thru the Mid West and Great Lakes about 4900 miles. Used the web site to plot the trip. Worked out great for us. I guess the best fixture was the fact the you put your camper information in the GPS, then it uses that to plan your route.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Good decision on the Sailun tires, however they do require a 110 psi rated wheel and it is not likely your 2007 Montana has them if they are original wheels. More than likely yours are rated for 80 psi max and should be stamped on the back side of each wheel. Our 2008 Montana 3400RL had 80 psi wheels. Your Montana should be OK with a GOOD "LT" tire such as Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, etc. and you wouldn't have to upgrade wheels.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have used DeLorme Street Atlas for many years--bought the last upgrade in 2015. Then Garmin bought out the competition. No replacement for Street Atlas. So as long as Street Atlas works I will use it along with another Garmin for the most current routing while we drive. Fortunately--we are going over familiar routes after 11 years of traveling about 4000 miles or more a year. But, I am still looking for a product that might replace SA!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
We use the Rand McNally RV GPS and we have found it to be pretty accurate. Whenever we have a trip planned I use the Good Sam trip planner and set up the route we want to go and import it to the Rand McNally. The good thing about using the trip planner is that your trip is saved and you can change it if you like and then re-import it.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
timandsusan
I’m looking for replacement for Street Atlas but I don’t think we will ever find it. With the new phone apps why would any company even bother.
I have my SA on a 10 inch computer/ pad that mounts on a steel bar with a pad holder I made out of plastic in my machine shop. It tilts and swivels. The pad slides down in it for easy removal and converts back into a computer.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Good decision on the Sailun tires, however they do require a 110 psi rated wheel and it is not likely your 2007 Montana has them if they are original wheels. More than likely yours are rated for 80 psi max and should be stamped on the back side of each wheel. Our 2008 Montana 3400RL had 80 psi wheels. Your Montana should be OK with a GOOD "LT" tire such as Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, etc. and you wouldn't have to upgrade wheels.
Actually, Sailon states their tires can be run at 80#. They have a chart showing how much weight loss for each 10# reduction.
I had 80# wheels on my Cougar. Changed to Carlisle LR F tires, max cold psi 95#. Ran them at 90# without a problem but had steel valve stems installed,,,,, would not suggest anyone over inflate their wheels though.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have been using GPS for decades even back to when you had to feed the GPS signal to a laptop via a handheld GPS to get actual maps. Today we use a Good Sam GPS, Google maps on the phone and same on laptop while traveling. The standalone is really handy for lane changes and quick driver reference while the phone and laptop are used to look for points of interest or fuel stops by the copilot (IE: the good looking gal that sits on the right side of the TV). Only issue I have had with the Good Sam GPS is occasionally it will not find a signal when first turned on. That is resolved by pushing the pen sized reset button. Because of that issue and the fact that the power cord is hooked up to a plug that switches off with ignition, I make sure to tap the screen to keep the unit on when I turn off the truck at a quick stop so the unit will not lose the signal on restart. Other than that it is a fairly good unit that has yet to lead us down the wrong street. It has some really good features like being able to input the size of your rig and it will help you avoid areas where you might have issues (like low bridges). It also has the next exit points of interest which really helps for gas stops, campgrounds and restaurants while traveling.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Our 2010 3000RK has 80psi wheels and we use Michelin LT235/85R16E tires.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, navagation, trip planning