Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 AM   #21
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve:

Travel safely. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Here are a couple of other RV places you might try to call for help. They have been rated "Excellent" on a site that asks about rating service from RVers.

Creston RV Service
1163 Creston Road, Crossville, TN 38571
931-707-8605

Crowder's RV Center
4533 Bristol Highway, Johnson City, TN 37601
423-282-5011

Here's the link to the website, maybe you can locate another one in the direction you will be driving.

www.rvservicereviews.com

Bruce

Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the concern, everyone. We'll pull out tomorrow morning, will take interstates as much as possible, and will hold speed down to about 60. I also want to thank sectres and bigskyguy who posted the places to try. I wish I had seen those posts before running around this morning trying to find a replacement link or at least a spare. No luck so will just check it often on this trip. HamRad, if it doesn't seem to be holding I'll turn it upside down as you suggested. Hopefully we won't end up calling Good Sam ERS.

Fl Hobo, did you tighten up that loose bolt? Also, the shackle replacement our members have been doing has been out of pocket expense as far as I know.

John and Marge, we'll be at the Fairgrounds sometime late Saturday afternoon, leaving there Sunday. Our purpose is to get our laundry done before Keystone takes the house to work on at something like 6am Monday morning so we won't be able to go out anywhere but you folks are welcome to come over if you don't mind Vicki going upstairs to the washer/dryer, etc. while you're there. I made a reservation today but don't know what site. It dawned on me tonight, too, that last time we were there you got wifi by buying a login and password from the folks in the office. They close at 2pm on Saturday so we'll probably be too late for that. If I recall, it's rather expensive for a 24-hr setup anyhow.

The park we're at Friday night has wifi through Hotspots. Assuming they're not ridiculous on their prices we may have access tomorrow evening. Still remains to be seen, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #23
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

Got the answer to the question, I asked here. Was at My Dealers today and looked at the Cambridge's shackles. They have a massive shackle package on it, with Lube fittings.

I also had a conversation with Neldon the Service Manager at RV Traders in Mesa AZ. (1st Class Guy by the way). Neldon said he hadn't been hearing about the high number of shackle problems were seeing here. And he will definitely be looking for this and working with the Factory about a solution.

He did say he had one come in a little while ago for a Bearing grease pack and the Rig's shackles were broken on one side and the spring was riding up against the Frame. Good news / Bad news. Good news that the opposite shackle was able to take the lateral load and keep the axle under the Rig. Bad news, the owner wasn't looking for a potential problem here. We definitely need to keep the word out there about this issue.

We also talked about my fix. I told him I had to add a 1/2" spacer to get the clearance I needed, and about the Dexter Kit being offered in the 33" & the 35" versions. He speculated that the 33" was for 15" wheels and the 35" was for the Rigs with 16" wheels, which tells me the 16" wheel Rigs probably do have taller hangers and quite possibly won't need a mod. for clearance like the 15" wheel Models. Don't know if perhaps all the 5ers have 16" wheels?

Just thought I pass on the info I got today.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 AM   #24
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Fla hobo,

I have the AL-KO axles and replaced the shackles with Dexter.
They fit perfect.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
AZstar, fyi, ours has the 16 inch wheels, so, I guess that theory doesn't fit for us. Good thinking, though.

All, we arrived safely in Goshen this afternoon. We've visited briefly with John and Marge, who also are here, and will visit more this evening.

I ran my fingernail around the link above the bolt and found no break. So, while the hole is seriously elongated, it has not yet worn through. I checked it every stop yesterday and some stops today. It doesn't look any worse today than before we left. Thanks for all the concerns. We're here now and looking forward to putting this problem to rest, at least for awhile.

Meanwhile, I've had an email conversation with Jeff Rank about this shackle problem we and others are having. It turns out there's some maintenance we are supposed to do to our rigs and that's in the manual. I haven't checked my manual recently but Jeff quoted it so I'm sure it is there. I will post in another thread about this so it maybe will get the attention of more people.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #26
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve,

Are you saying you have 16" wheels and 33" center to center on the Axels? If you get a chance can you measure the height from the bottom of the Rigs frame to the end of your middle spring hanger. Mine are 3" with the hole at 2.25" down. I think yours are taller than the 15" wheel version. It would be nice to be able to understand this fully.

After doing my AL-KO to Dexter up-grade with the 15" wheel/33" spacing and having to cut the hangers off adding spacer and re-welding them, I would recommend others with my config. to change over to the Dexter lubed shackles, bolts, spring bushings BUT, re-use the original Triangle equilizer and replace the bushings in it.

It's a major job to cut the hangers off and re-weld. If I had it to do over I would do as I described using my old equilizers.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, I don't know the axle spread but will try to measure that and the other measurements tomorrow (it's dark out now), if it's not raining cats and dogs. They're forecasting rain for tomorrow. After tomorrow the rig will be in the factory service center so if I can't measure tomorrow it might be a bit before I can do that. Don't let me forget.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:38 AM   #28
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
azstar,

Just thought you would like to know. I measured my spring Hangers and they are just under 6 inches. My axles are seperated by 33 inch and I have 15 inch tires.

Question for you. What is the horizontal distance between holes in the Dexter Equalizer for the 33 inch kit?

My equalizer hole distance is a little over 6 inches.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, our axles (16 inch wheels) are 35 inches, center to center.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'middle spring hanger.' If you are talking about the U shaped hanger the middle of the equalizer is attached to, that's 3 3/4 inches long from bottom of the frame and the hole center is at 3 1/8 or very close to that.

If that's not what you are looking for, let me know. After this afternoon I'm not sure when I'll have a connection again. Could be tomorrow or could be about 10 days.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #30
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Great Info. Guys,

Tom,
The measurements for the holes on the Equilizer 33" CtoC Kit from Dexter are 5 3/5" Horiz. and 2" Vert. If you have a 6" hanger your in great shape. No Mod. required. Check to make sure the hole in the hanger is at least 2 3/4 down from the frame. I wish mine had that much hanger it would have saved me a lot of work. Maybe just the TT's got the short hangers.

Steve,
Sounds like your in good shape too. You would be able to use the 35" Dexter Kit. It starting to sound like the 16" wheel/35" spacing and the 15"/33" spacing is indeed correct.

It's starting to look like Montana 5ers with AL-KO are going to have no problem changing over to the Dexter Assy. and The TT Folks like us can switch over to the Dexter Kit but are going to have to use their old Equilizers, press the old bushings out replace and drill and tap for the Zerk in the old one. Which really isn't that big a deal.

The only other thing that comes to mind is we need someone to check a Mountaineer 5ers hangers. If you've got one of theese, just measure the center Hanger between the wheels. Measure down from the frame to the end and to the hole. Also give us the Wheel size and the center to center measurement between the Axles.

I think if can get all this data we can really help our fellow members as to what to buy and how to proceed, with the change over based on which Rig they have.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #31
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve (azstar),
Do you have any pictures of the shackles, equalizers as you had to modify (add zerks). I have looked at my shackles and the distance around the bolts look uniform and the bolts do not appear to have moved as I think they would if the shackle holes were elongated. I think I have around 10K miles of towing so far. I want to be sure I know what I need to fix and what should be reused from the old system when this becomes a problem. Also, did your jack the trailer against the frame on either side of the wheels and then use a jack to support the axles while doing the install? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be ready and do it right.

Thanks,

P.S. Can you explain the spacer you mentioned in your earlier post?
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #32
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Howdy Lamar,

You've got the right idea. Jack the frame in two places either side of axles and put on jack stands. Then remove wheels. Then place a piece of steel long enough to catch both axels and jack both axles up to take load off the Triangle Equilizer.

Go to www.easternmarine.com and go to "springs" and then "Equilizers". Look for the Dexter Kit K71-359-00. Enlarge the pic. and you will be able to see the Zerk fitting at the top of the Equilizer. Thats what you'll be adding to your old one. You have to replace the bushings in your old one and then drill the hole through to the ID. and Tap for Zerk.

You will use the rest of the Kit. replacing the Triangle EQ. with your old one. You'll need to order 6 extra bushings, enough to re-bush both of your old EQ's Those bushings look like the ones they offer.
.575 ID X .698 OD x 1.74 Long in Bronze. The best measurement I could get off my old ones looks like .700" The new bolts in the Kit are .562" so I believe their the ones you would need to re-bush yours.

My TT has 15,000 on it and they were shot. Really couldn't see it until disassembly.

As for the spacer. If you were to use the new EQ it's a little shorter in height. You loose some clearance. I did an experiment and was hitting the frame on about a 3" bump. I had only about 1.1" clearance. Dexter wants Min. 1.5". I really didn't realize how happy the Welder was the day he welded mine. I thought a few min. grinding the weld off the center spacer and I'd have the center hanger off. It took at least 30 Min. each side. The object was to lower the hanger a bit by adding a 1/2" steel plate between the frame and hanger and weld them back on. It did give me the clearance I needed, but it was way too much work.

If I did it again I would use my old EQ, re-bush it and add the Zerk.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #33
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

Thanks! I've printed this one out for future reference. All of our travels will be local this summer, so I'll replace this fall.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #34
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Steve (azstar) I have an 05 Mountaineer 328rls. The center U shaped hanger that holds the equalizer bar is 4" long from the bottom of the frame. From the bottom of the frame to the center of the bolt it is aprox 3 1/8" I am running 16" tires and have a center to center distance of 3 ft between the axles. IF this is not what you are looking for let me know and I will measure again.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #35
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Thanks Rick,

Very helpful. Sounds like your in good shape for the Dexter Kit also. The 35" version.

It's interesting that you have a 36" distance though. I could see a 1/4" off but that's a full inch.

Do you have AL-KO axles or are they Dexter? There's a Metal bracelet on the axle with this info.

It's starting to look like the only Rigs with a clearance issue, when switching to the Dexter Kit is the Mountaineer TT Folks.

We need one more piece of Data.

We need a Member to measure a Mountaineer 5er with 15" Wheels and I think we'll have it all.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #36
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Steve, I have Dexter Axles. After measuring many times my axles are (Door side) 35 1/2 other side 35 5/8 I dont know if an 1/8 of inch will make a difference but I sure would like to have gotten the same measurment on both sides... Ofcourse all these measurments are not scientifical...lol Just me and a tape measure.
Rick
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #37
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Gonefishin,
You may want to have your alighnment checked.
Usually when the axles are not the same on both ends it is an alighnment issue.
Just a thought.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #38
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Awaywego, Who would do something like that, the dealer?
Rick
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Steve, for that info. I, too, have saved it. Lamar, thanks for asking the question. I was going to do that today but am glad you already asked. This sounds like it requires tools beyond what some of us fulltimers have at hand. I may be able to round up enough jacks and jackstands and a steel pipe when in our kids' neighborhood though.

Gonfishin, I've seen that same phenomena when measuring the axles. I asked at the Keystone Service Center about this and was told because of the axle/suspension action (not sure that's the right terminology) you need to first be sure to pull straight ahead at least 50 yards to allow the axles to recenter after a turn, even a small turn. If it's still off then you may have an alignment problem.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #40
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
You know what Steve, I was laying in bed this morning and wondered about that. I backed up on a gravel pad and since the pad was not packed the trailer would sink slightly as I backed it. I got to thinking that may cause the measurements to be slightly off. I will recheck it when we take it out next week on the maiden voyage.
Rick