Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
bryce_wes

M.O.C. #9060
Long Term Site in DC Area

I guess this is really a two part question that I hope I have posted in a reasonable section.

The first part of the question is if anyone knows of a reasonable long term RV park in the Washington DC Area. I received a job offer from a company in Alexandria, Va, and I am unfamiliar with the area.

The second part is whether my 08 mountaineer 295rk will have any issues with the climate in the area. I have been full timing in this RV in the Houston, TX area for just about a year now and would like to know if the climate that far north would be too extreme to make full timing possible.

Thank you
Bryce

bryce_wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bryce, If you have mil priveleges the CG on Andrews has extended sites. That's where we stayed this summer while there for a week......Other than that, I can't help....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Bryce,

I can't help with a campground, sorry. Welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions and put your .02 in for others.

We are fulltiming in our Montana here in Indiana which has about the same climate as DC. Your Mountaneer will do fine as long as you are prepared for the cold and expect a few "bumps" in the road. Make sure you insulate and heat your water supply. We have 2 electric heaters to assist the furnace but make sure the furnace is allowed to run because it supplies heat to your basement to keep the pipes from freezing.
I bought the fittings and PVC pipe to run a "hardline" for the sewer. This way I can maintain a good slope and keep my grey tank valves open all winter long.
We skirt our Montana to keep the cold wind from blowing underneath and this seems to help the heating a lot. You will go through a lot of propane to keep things comfortable. We use a 30# tank in about 2 1/2 days.

We have had one line freeze when it got down to -1 one night and this was a short hose section going from my water filter to my water softener in the basement. I had it routed too close to the basement door and it froze.

This morning it is 7* here and we are snug as a couple of fleas on a long haired dog. Maybe Icehouse will chime in and give you some advice on winter RVing, they spent a couple of winters in Alaska in their 3400.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Bryce, try this link,
http://www.cherryhillpark.com/index....eservation.new
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
You could also look into Capitol KOA in Millersville, MD or Duncan's Family CG in Lothian, MD. Both approx. 1 hr. or so from Alexandria.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bryce,
Also check Fort Meade. I don't know if they have long term or not. The Mil Campground web site may tell you.

Washington, DC is a small area compared to the surrounding states. Check VA, MD, PA, etc for CG's. Example: Capitol KOA is 18 miles from W-DC. (Call(800) 562-0248. ) for stays more than 28 days.

Happy Trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I'm in a similar situation, and this is the best I've found so far, but their rates are sky high!!!

http://www.hillwoodcamping.com/
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

You could also look into Capitol KOA in Millersville, MD or Duncan's Family CG in Lothian, MD. Both approx. 1 hr. or so from Alexandria.
We spent a month in Ducans in '07, it was"OK", only about 25 minites from Alexandrai.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Alsocheck out Bullrun regional park in Manassas.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
bryce_wes

M.O.C. #9060
Thank all of you for your suggestions.

I do not have prior military, so I guess those options are out of the question.

I will look into all of the others listed, and will try to post results from whichever I try.

Also, I would like those of you that assured me I was not insane for trying to full time at such a northern latitude.

Bryce
bryce_wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bryce,
I lived in the Monty for six months at Ft. Meade moving into a stick house 1 Feb 07. The Monty can handle it if you just pay attention to the normal things.

When you look for a place to park think about the METRO if it fits your travel requirements. That or the trains may give you a wider range.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote