Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Door slamming

I've notice when I'm staying at campgrounds on the way to Fl. and back that campers with the big motor homes slam the door every time they go in and out of the coach at anytime of the day or night.Is this in the manual that come with it or is this my luck of neighbors

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It’s just your luck,
Have a great day!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I always thought those were called "vanity doors" no matter what kind of rig (motorhome, TT, 5er. etc.) they were on. You know, the type of person that always has to draw attention to themselves (the "vain" type) simply because they have no concept that they may annoying others in "their space!!" Whoops, I take that back, or else I would have to dim our "vanity lights", you know the ones..... the campground-lighting, neighbor annoying, garish string of super-bright globe lights hanging from the awning.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
It's not just Class A owners!!! We have a 5th wheel next to us with a very nice couple who are apparently incapable of getting into or out of their truck or go in or go out of their rig without slamming their door!!! And they have 2 dogs so that's even more going in and out.

They're going to be here almost as long as we are and I'm predicting that I will be in a rubber room somewhere long before our departure date.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
When we first started full timing way back in 1994, We complained to each other that our door made such a noise everytime we shut it. We decided to make a habit of holding the door latch open when we shut the door, then release it and push on the door. It's worked for us well. Like you, just wish some others would get into the habit.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Yep I have been next to those campers also, it could be a misalinded door that does not latch properly or too much weather stripping around the door making it necessary to slam to latch. but sooner or later it will involve the door to become worst due to loose screws.
I treat RV Doors like a Chevy never slam the doors, the windows will be jared out of the track at the bottom, but we dont have roll up windows do we.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
o yes i can understand the feeling of the slaming doors or the engine warming up at 5 am in the morning, but then again i guess i can fall into some of that also it kind of hard not to make noise with our camp sites being so close. the one that really get to me is after 10 pm when there all outside with radio on still having a party.......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I do like Footloose and hold the latch when closing the door. They seem to last a lot longer that way. What ticks me off is people that slam my door shut.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I hate slammed doors, we try to shut ours easy, I think it saves wear and tear, slamming doors on car or RV cost money
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I believe all camper doors can get out of alignment easy especially if the trailer isn’t leveled well. I’ve noticed that the door on our camper is sometimes difficult to shut. I think people slam doors a lot quicker than trying to quietly close them. I have on many occasions done like footloose and pulled the handle while gently pushing the door closed to release the handle afterward.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
On both my previous3400RL and my present MH I have had to close the door hard to get it to latch. I firmly believe that it is a state of levelness. Sometimes when we park and level the door closes easy, and other times it hs to be closed hard. It is difficult to close from the inside as you have to pull it towards you, but on the outside, I'll close it with a soft touch and then just push on the area the latch is in and it closes fine. I feel bad at 10 p.m., if I have to close it hard, but I do have to close it.

Yes, there are those that even slam car/truck doors. Just stay awake until 2 a.m., then go out and in a couple times slamming (NOT).
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
FlashG
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7971
The motorhomes I have owned you need to slam the door to fully latch the door so it doesn't rattle going down the road. You probably dont need to slam the door unless you are enroute. Me thinks most people do it by force of habit.
FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I was told a long time ago if you stay at a rest area and try and sleep in your car someone will pull in next to you and they will have to slam their door three times to get it closed. A number of months later I took a trip to Medford and decided late at night I would stop and take a nap at a rest area. I just got to sleep and guess what, what I had been told was true. He parked, opened his door and got out and tried to close it quietly and it didn't go closed so he tried again and still not closed tight. Then slam bang and it was closed and off he went. I waited till he came back and sure enough it was the three slams and he's gone again. But the worst of it all was the next two cars did the same so I decided it was time to keep driving.
I try and always hold the latch and and close it quietly as has been mentioned before.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I think I am a slammer. I never thought about it before, but I think I slam the door. We are going out for a few days next week and thanks to the MOC I won't be slamming anymore!! Thanks for the intervention
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Slamming causes the door windows to fall down too! There are two little knoby thingys inside that window frame that hold the glass in. Slam too many times, and they will break and the window glass will slide down.

Ask me how I know?? HMMM??

We do not slam now.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Never had a problem hearing others slam their doors, but will be more cognizant in the future.

In hot weather, the slamming of the screen door is annoying. With the closer spring on the screen door, I haven't been able to figure out how to keep it from making that metal slamming metal noise and still be able to latch closed.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Have to say Guilty...as hard as we try the door just somehow slams at times.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
A little candle wax on the strike plate and bolt will make doors latch a lot easier on RVs. Seems the aluminum and steel don't like to slide on each other. Couple of times a year is enough, candle wax stays put pretty well and won't stain clothes. Silicone or dry lube helps on the automotive style latches too.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm a slammer...

Hi, Steve!
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #20
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have noticed, that my DW slams a lot of the time, don't know why. I pull the handle then shut and give a extra pull. I also noticed that when it rains the door will not shut easily. The trailer is fairly level. I will try the wax trip.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote