Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Door Latch Stuck

I remember reading somewhere but can't find it on search.
I locked myself inside the Monty. Thank goodness I have long arms.
I opened the window on the slide next to the door and was able to reach the outside latch and open it. I can see where a piece of the latch drops behind another piece and jams the latch. Has anyone found a correction for this or did you have to replace the entire latch.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Couple years ago this did happen to us only Lorraine got locked in. Back than I didn't carry a cell phone so she used her haed and got her TV keys. By using the remote key thingy she was able to blow the horn until a neighbor finally investigated. He found me and I was able get the door open.
I took the door lock apart and found a broken part. For the life of me I don't remember which part. I did run to a local RV store and was able to buy an entire lock set. I only replaced the broken part and the lock worked fine after that.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
5 years, TWO failures.

Locked INSIDE both times. Both Al and I. Used Lorraine's trick the first time to get out, keep that alarm going off and someone will come investigate. Second time we called the front off office of the campground and they sent someone down.

Both times, the door opened quite easily from the outside (the door was not locked either time).

First time we were able to repair, there is a "bar" that had slipped down, we pushed back up and silicone held it, but it was eventually replaced by the service center. Couple of years later that one broke (that was number 2).

We replaced that one in Little Rock Arkansas.

The last replacement seems to work smoother, and we hope that is the last time we have to deal with it.

IF you have to replace, here is a headsup, the numbers inside are not a model number, they are the key code.

The company's number is inside, they were very helpful while we were driving into Little Rock, and on the cell phone trying to find a dealer that had a lock. They will ship direct to you (or did then), but, we needed one right then, we were traveling with the door unlocked, out of our comfort zone.

The lock was about $30 then, the price was one of those priceless items, better than living with the worry of "will it break, won't it break".
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This is exactly why I always keep a screw driver in the rig kitchen junk drawer. Mine did stick and I just unscrewed the whole mechanism and knocked it out of the door. Most of the door latches I have dealt with have come from the factory with virtually no lube in them. This one I used bicycle/motorcycle chain lube on because it is very sticky and takes a lot of abuse. There were times when it was hard to open it from the outside and since I lubed it and put it back together everything works smooth as silk... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We just replaced ours. It was our closet door that broke. Got a replacement at local Home Depot.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
HamRad

We had TWO of those go, both on the potty room door, luckily, NO ONE was INSIDE that potty room when the door handle failed and we had to break into the room. It was not easy, took 2 men and a lot of grunting, swearing (ooops, did I say that) and sweating. The first one was replaced with OEM and it broke in something like 3 months??

As far as Dave's suggestion about the screwdriver on the entrance door, there was some reason we could not get to that lock??? Sorry, the old dripping memory banks don't remember why Al said we could not do that??

As with every other failure we MOCer's experience, I am sure there was a little bit of a different reason for each failure.

And for those that lived through the 2 potty door adventures with us, NO, I still will not go in there and shut the door, and Al replaced with really really good lock sets (from Menards??) he got two, did the potty door and the washer/dryer/storage closet door at the same time. I figure 3 times and I will not only be out, but, I will probably be IN that potty room when it won't open. Can we spell claustophobic??

Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Glad to know about the door lock failures, and the lack of lube. I will check mine right away. I don't do getting locked in anywhere very well. I would have probably torn the door off to get out. Yep, claustrophobic is the word.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dave,I just threw a screwdriver in one of the kitchen drawers.
I think I found out what my problem was,for now anyway. I went to remove the latch when I discovered that three of the four screws we're backed half way out. Duh!
Well, at least I learn something through these great replies. Thanks everyone!
Jack

Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jack, that is exactly what has happened to me a half dozen times this past season, the first time it happened I was having a hard time opening the latch from inside or out side. Then I saw that all four screws were very loose. Each time they come loose I tighten them up and hope they stay put but I finally did a Lock-tite job on them. The holes and screws are not stripped out, just loose. Have not had it happen again since but still carry a bottle of Lock-tite Blue in the tool box... Dave
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Great idea Dave,I'll go out and do that right now!
Thanks, Jack
Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I haven't seen this mentioned and I stand to be corrected if any part of this is wrong but don't forget that you have the emergency escape windows which should prevent any panic should you get locked inside you unit. I'm not certain but I think once they come out they will easily go back into place.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I haven't seen this mentioned and I stand to be corrected if any part of this is wrong but don't forget that you have the emergency escape windows which should prevent any panic should you get locked inside you unit. I'm not certain but I think once they come out they will easily go back into place.
Bill,Imagine this! A neighbor looks out his window and see's this 270 lb. old man stuck half way out the window of his trailer and with no phone to call for help.UGH!
Jack
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:

Bill,Imagine this! A neighbor looks out his window and see's this 270 lb. old man stuck half way out the window of his trailer and with no phone to call for help.UGH!
Jack
I try not to imagine something like that but if that happened I'm sure one would get some help!

On edit: I probably would do the waiting thing but my point was that it shouldn't induce panic with the escape windows available!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:

Jack
I try not to imagine something like that but if that happened I'm sure one would get some help!

On edit: I probably would do the waiting thing but my point was that it shouldn't induce panic with the escape windows available!
Just kidding Bill . Good point!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
No offense taken at all, and on the humorous side I bet I would be one that would get stuck trying to get out the window!

Edited for spelling!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I have practiced exiting both escape windows while Betsy was back in Illinois, both windows worked fine but both were a bit painful to slide out of and the bedroom is apt result in a painful fall if no ladder is there. I can see where it is better than burning up but as a form of normal egress it leaves a lot to be desired. I ended up with scratches and a few bruises on my stomach on both windows, and I did use a ladder on both. Shouting out the window is less painful and pulling the hamper out and going out through the basement are also less painful... Dave
Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

IF you have to replace, here is a headsup, the numbers inside are not a model number, they are the key code.

The company's number is inside, they were very helpful while we were driving into Little Rock, and on the cell phone trying to find a dealer that had a lock. They will ship direct to you (or did then), but, we needed one right then, we were traveling with the door unlocked, out of our comfort zone.
Just to add to this a little, if you lose your keys, take the screws out of the lock from the inside and call that phone number you see inside and give them the key code you also see inside. They'll send you a new set of keys.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I'm with Dave on this one,

I am NOT going out that fire escape if there is NO fire!

Dang,it is a long way down, and I am old enough to not look forward to broken bones! UGHAAAA

Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Guess you could buy one of rope ladders that are designed for that? However, my thought is that if there is a fire, you really don't have much time for stuff like that. Now, being locked inside is another matter. Rope ladder might work. What are those things rated for, though? I'm 245...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dunno Dave.

If it is burning, I ain't waiting to jump! I will get out, break a leg, whatever I can do.

If it ain't burning, unless I was in a campground alone, boondocking (like that is gonna happen any time soon? nope), then, I can wait for someone to open the door for me. So, I ain't jumping.

Point 3, those rope ladders take up a lot of room, room I would rather fill with crafts and books???

Might be an idea that works for some, and all good ideas should be considered, eh???