Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #61
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Dan, I drive pretty much the same way. the big difference is that I have a 5.9 with 4spd auto and no tow mode. When towing I pretty much do not exceed 60mph, though I do use cruise and OD on the flats. Once I do hit the hills the cruise and OD are off. $1800 is a lot of money to spend for me at this time. Once we get back to Illinois, in April, I'll look at my options again by going to the local diesel shop.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #62
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no problems with power. We drive by our gauges and stay within the parameters. We run 62/65. We do 10MPG at the end of any given day and that is not bad pulling @ 23K. Yes I would like to see better MPG but will not spend 2K or so to pick up another 1 or 2 MPG. We know many folks with chips and have never seen a significant increse in MPG pulling these heavy rigs...Power yes if you need it or just want it.

We have heard to many stories about chips and motors from our next door neighbor a diesel guy for GM and a friend at our local ford dealership.

I am reminded of the saying " Those who have power tend to not know how to apply it or abuse it" that seems to apply to chips as well.
I do not trust myself..We will stay stock.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #63
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
richfaa:

You are probably making a good decision for lots of reasons. Just to be clear I'm not advocating that people modify their TV the way I have. I was just sharing my surprising experience after reading other posts. There's lots of good reasons to not make these kinds of modifications. Also, I don't think its a good idea to add just a "chip" or a "tuner/programmer" without other modifications that help it out. We're currently in Mission, Texas and its raining...ugh!
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #64
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The more I read the more confused I become about a chip/tuner. My friend is a retired diesel mechanic and when I mentioned what I was thinking about doing he hit the roof. To summarize, using one of his comments, "it's a truck, not the batmobile". If I'm this confused now what will happen if I do make the changes. I think I'm convincing myself to leave well enough alone.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #65
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
In your Ford you will only get about 1 MPG increase but that is not why I tuned my truck. You can have a lot more power but that is not why I tuned truck, I do like the power. I tuned it because I became convinced I was abusing my engine by having fuel in the oil. Cummings reduced the estimated service life of their 6.7 engine by 100,000 miles when they put a DPF on them. That tell me a lot about a DPF. I don't abuse my equipment.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #66
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Before we got our MH, we had an 07 Chevy D/A dually to lug around our 3400. It had plenty of power and got reasonable mileage, therefore it never occurred to me to modify it. I still don't see how you could recoup the costs, not to mention possible warranty issues.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #67
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In my younger days I had a 56 Ford tht I spent many dollars on making it faster and louder. It was real fast and real loud.. I did it because....well..it was cool to drive it.

If I felt I needed more power I would not hesitate to put in a chip and have a speed shop do it correctly. But you know I am in my 70,s and not so cool anymore.
I would also ditch the DPF but it was strongly suggested that I do not by the State Of Ohio and Ford.
We do check our 6.4 for fuel in the Oil and so far we are well within tolerances Re Blackstone. Also we have never had a truck with anywhere near 100K on it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #68
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich weren't those days fun. You could hop up your car put 2, 4 barrel carbs on it. A high lift cam 411 gears. The nicest car I had for its day was a 61 Pontiac Bonneville bubble top full tripower coupe in red burgundy, 389, 348 HP. Looking back I had one of the nicest cars in high school and I bought it myself. We went to the drag strip every Sunday but I didn't race my car. I would like to have a mid 60s Vette but I wouldn't drive it. It would be like my brothers 67 GTO. It had air, power steering power, windows, Hearst his and her shifter, loaded but he never drove it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #69
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I have had two Edge tuners on my 08' Duramax. First the Edge Evolution-no increase in mileage, but like many before me have said-it was cool to play with. I now have an Edge Race Evolution. I purchased it after experiencing long regeneration cycles while towing in tow mode with the Evolution. I still haven't improved my everyday mileage that much-about 1.2 mpg increase, but I don't see the mileage plummet when regenerating. With the Race Evolution I replaced the DPF with a pipe. I don't anticipate going into any states that I might be under scrutiny for emissions. I tried the Race Evolution on the upper settings-it scarred the heck out of me. No vehicle should break all four tires loose on a public road.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote