Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
mystery water leak

While it is raining water can be found on the floor under the refrigerator behind where the large drawer pulls out. This is a 2007 3475RL. The vent for the furnace on the outside has been sealed after finding water standing inside the cover, however this does not seem to be the area of entry as the leak is still present. Has anyone come across this situation before or have any helpful hints.

Bob Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Bob, I have a 3000 RK, I too had the leak below the refrigerator.It took a lot of looking, but I found that the outside frige vent cover was the culprit. When the vent frame was installed,the screws drew the frame down and the water made it's way through the bottom drains. I used silicone to build about a 3/4th inch dam across the bottom.In a blowing rain, I still get a little in,but not near as much. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
Hi Crossthread, thanks for the reply. I have had the vent cover for the frige off and did not find any indication of water being present. The entire inside was very dry. The search for an answer goes on.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Naw! Not a mystery.

See if this will help:

Refer Vent Leak Repair
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
Still searching for water leak under frige where the large drawer pulls out. This is a 2007 3475 with a different layout than a 3400. The vent cover for the refrigerator has been removed with the result being there was no sign of water being present...the area was very dry. As was stated before the problem appears only when it is raining. Thanks for all help and future comments.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In our case the fridge is in a slide. In every case where we've had this happen, and there have been several times, one of the external vertical seals for the slide was turned under. Did not fully turn out when the slide extended, in other words. Now I check the seals and if one is turned under I just run the rounded side of the "L" of the awning rod under the seal to turn it back out. Quick and easy and no damage to the seal. And no water even in the hardest blowing rain.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bob,
Is this your 3475 layout?

The position of the stove, refrigerator is very similar to the 2008 3400RL I had. Your pantry is in a different position, and the 3400RL had a counter between the stove and refrigerator. The counter was a cabinet, with a drawer on the bottom. That is where the water came from into the RV from the link I posted. Water was not present on the inside of my refrigerator vent either, but it sure did seep in and the link I posted fixed it for me and others. For sure it may not be the case with your situation, but.

2008 3400RL
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
suunto
Established Member

M.O.C. #10173
So I pulled off the cover this weekend and opened up all of the slides to air out the Montana. Upon inspection I found that the carpet under the fridge and stove was soaked and there was mold growing on the wood work underneath. So I thought I would try the fix for the two vents on the fridge, hoping that takes care of everything. I've got everything dried out for now and will have to monotor my fix to see if that is where the water was coming from.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
The location of the leak coming from under the frig in the 3475RL was found to be the cover for the furnace on the outside wall. After sealing the cover and after the next rain there was no leak. Hope this will solve the problem for me and others.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for posting what you found. I've not heard of that particular source before so being aware of it will be valuable. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
suunto
Established Member

M.O.C. #10173
Although the furnace vent is not on the slide out, I suppose that doesn't mean that the water could still be coming in from their. And although I have my slide pushed out and haven't noticed any water on the carpet yet, I don't know if it does matter if the slide is out or not. I am still looking at all of the possibilities.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
This morning my wife went into our 2955RL and found water on the floor in front of the fridge. The rv is sitting a little slanted so if the water is coming from under the fridge that would explain why the floor is dry on the floor at the cabinets or bottom of fridge. Most of the water was soaked up in the small rugs on the vinyl floor. Sorry you guys had problems too but I was glad to see about this when I first came to the discussion. I am going to look at the vent door on the side for water. Happily we don't have carpet under the fridge. We live in North Idaho and have been haveing a ton of rain and even today we are haveing a few snow showers. The wind and rain blew like crazy last night. Our rv has been outside uncovered for a few years and this is the first time.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote