Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
ALASKA

Greetings,

I am considering a trip to Ketchikan Alaska the end of next summer.

Trip would take us up through Canada. One Question I have is Canadian gun laws. I always carry guns in the Montana but have heard horror stories about crossing into Canada with such. Please respond to that question and with any other input for the proposed Alaska Trip.....

Thanks, Ron

SDVIKINGRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Handguns are absolutely forbidden in Canada. Shotguns and rifles (non-assualt type) are ok, but you must pay a licensing fee. For more info, go here:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy...nto_canada.asp

For information of travel in general try this thread:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...chTerms=Alaska
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Hope you know that Ketchikan is accessible only by ferry or plane!!! Limited camping opps.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The stories I have heard are mostly from folks who head for Canada without doing their homework. There are forms and authorizations that should be acquired in advance and this is where most get tagged. They think they can just head for the border and tell the Canadians what they have and be good. Nope, I hear it's a little more work than that and some stuff might require permits because some guns and weapons are either restricted or prohibited and only advance investigation will educate you on them - some knives, some rifles, most handguns, even pepper or mace sprays.

The first time I crossed into Canadian with DW and 14 year old daughter and DW's Mom, they didn't require passports and we had left our birth certificates behind. Wrong. They kept us at the border in a building for almost an hour because all my daughter had was her Junior High School ID - nothing to show she was our daughter and not over 18 without an ID. The rest of us we had driver's licences. They let us go without much explanation and we never had another problem. Don't mess with the Canadians. Know your stuff.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Ron,
Traveling into Canada last year and having Texas plates that is almost a sure bet that you will at the very least receive the third degree on whether or not I was carrying. I our case we got searched from stem to stern and then they brought the dog out to do it again. They still found nothing because I left my pistol at home knowing I would be in Canada.

My advice is not to carry into Canada.

If you are just going to Ketchikan and want to carry, board the Alaska Marine Highway a Bellingham, WA and avoid Canada altogether.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Many thanks to all...I especially liked Allan's advise to avoid Canada altogether...I am going to look into the Marine Highway...

Thanks again,

Ron
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SDVIKINGRON

Many thanks to all...I especially liked Allan's advise to avoid Canada altogether...I am going to look into the Marine Highway...

Thanks again,

Ron
Another way is to have a gun store ship your to a facility in Alaska and then ship it back. a lot of work when a large can of bear pepper spray will stop just about anything at a safe distance.
Or buy a gun from Saraha P when you arrive at Alaska. Ha Ha
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SDVIKINGRON

Thanks again,

Ron
Another way is to have a gun store ship your to a facility in Alaska and then ship it back. a lot of work when a large can of bear pepper spray will stop just about anything at a safe distance.
Or buy a gun from Saraha P when you arrive at Alaska. Ha Ha
On our first trip to Alaska, we had a forest service guide talk about this very topic. She said to wear bright clothes, make lots of noise and carry pepper spray. She also suggested looking for bear signs such as their scat. Black bear scat will contain pieces of twigs as berries are a mainstay of their diet while grizzly bear scat will contain pieces of bright clothing and smell like pepper spray.

True story!!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
You might then say that grizzly bears like their meals served with bright colored garnishment and lots of salt and pepper spray.....