Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fireplace problem.

OK. So while we were working on the furnace it was cold in the rig. We turned on the fireplace to help take the chill off. Mary Kay immediately noticed that while the heating element came on the fan did not seem to be working.

So after finishing the furnace we turned our attention to the fireplace. We take it out of its hiddy hole and start taking it apart. Once we got the top off where the fan and heating element are located we couldn't find anything wrong and could not find a fuse. So while it was still apart we plugged it in and turned it on. Guess what? It started working!

It was really dusty. So we took it outside and got the compressor and blew all the dirt out of it. It was really dusty! Checked it again and it is still working. So we clean it up nicely and put it back together and then reinstall. Turned it on and it worked just like it should.

Our thought is, at this point, that it was either the dust that was shorting things out or that we have a bad switch. And that while moving things around we got it to working. We will wait and see.

We live in a very dusty climate so we really should be cleaning all such things on a regular basis. Something we don't do!

So if you live in or do a lot of traveling in a dusty climate I would suggest you check and clean these type devices on a regular basis. Here is a case of "Do what I say, not what I do."

Ozz,

Here is another one of those, "It was the wires", things! I bet if I took it to the dealer I'd have a new fan and heating element!

Good luck.

Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad you were able to solve the problem even if you are not sure what it was. Often just messing with a gadget seems to fix it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, you are so right.
Glad it is back in service, and I'm glad you had it out to check all the wiring.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I forgot to mention that we were very surprised to discover the main electrical supply wire was 16 gauge! My brother couldn't believe it. That has to be on the "ragged" edge of acceptable engineering. We may change that out the next time we have to work on it.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dennis,

I had my fireplace heating element work intermittently. I took it apart and reseated all of the wire nuts. It then worked, but later, the element burned out, and Dimplex replaced the entire element/fan assembly without charge.

Beware, you may have just dodged the bullet temporarily.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
simonsrf...did that fireplace come with your unit? What model is it?

Bill M.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
biznsa,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I didn't see your post until now.

No, it did not come with the unit. I installed it myself.

I installed the Dimplex 23" Model DFB4047. Lowe's Item #219615 for $297.00

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote