Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2023, 11:49 AM   #1
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Angry 2007 3500 Dodge diesel 6.4 liter truck

We are stranded in Illinois our truck transmission over temp indicator light came on. It’s a 68 RFE Dodge transmission. We had to keep stopping on the way here to let the truck transmission cool down. Hoping to get it checked at a garage tomorrow. We were hoping someone on here might have any ideas on what it is? Thank you,
Terry and Claudia Downs

TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryClaudia View Post
We are stranded in Illinois our truck transmission over temp indicator light came on. It’s a 68 RFE Dodge transmission. We had to keep stopping on the way here to let the truck transmission cool down. Hoping to get it checked at a garage tomorrow. We were hoping someone on here might have any ideas on what it is? Thank you,
Terry and Claudia Downs
Oil cooler might be plugged or obstructed? When was the last time oil and filter were changed in the transmission?
Has this truck been pulling your 5ver all its life and how many miles has it done that? Sorry to say but it just might be time to rebuild or replace. Hope it turns out well for you.
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Issues with 2007 6.7L dodge transmission

Still stranded in Quincey, IL due to our 6.7L diesel 3500 Ram truck transmission slipping. I've been looking at potential repairs. Due to the holiday week, looks like I can't get into "Tranny Clinic" until July 10th. I've been looking at an upgrade kit (Sonnax Smart-Tech overdrive clutch housing kit) for the 68RFE transmission. I've seen several references that this transmission clutch has issues pulling heavy loads. I have been pulling my Montana for at least half of the 120K on truck, so may just be worn out.

Has anyone tried this upgrade kit?
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote