Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #1
Captchris

M.O.C. #32345
Morryde Independant suspension upgrade

After attending the Fall rally in Goshen, and all the talk about rough roads, I am considering installing the Morryde IS system. Would love to have some feed back. If you have up graded to IS and can you feel the difference?
Is the IS as good as they claim? I am willing to spend the money and travel back to Morryde , just trying to get some feed back before I pull the trigger.
As a second choice I am looking at the Alltreak 4000 equalizer upgrade.
Has anyone changed to the Morryde Alltrek 4000 equalizer system?

Thanks, everyone.

FYI the Fall rally was great and the people that put it on did a fantastic job. Congrats and thank you to all of them.

Captchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Put this in the search bar, Morryde IS, you can read for days!
Old 09-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Wouldn't be without IS, even had it installed on current unit before being delivered to our Dealer, avoiding the two day stay at MORryde
Old 09-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
One of our members told me about this

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...mfort_ride.php.

It's called the poor man's IS. Watching the videos it does give a smoother ride than stock leaf springs.
Very affordable.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:51 PM   #5
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I'd rather see a well designed air ride.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:44 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post

It's called the poor man's IS. Watching the videos it does give a smoother ride than stock leaf springs.
Very affordable.
The Roadmaster system looks interesting and I got curious about the cost (since I am a card-carrying member of The Poor Men). It looks like the parts and pieces can be purchased from several sources (etrailer screen shot below). With sales tax and delivery - round it up to $2000. I would guess the install to be 5 to 7 hours shop time @ (say) $200/hr or $1000 to $1500…so this system might run $3000 to $3500. Is that about right?

Edit: This does not include disc brakes!! I think disc brakes runs about $2000 (???) - so by the time you add disc brakes the cost is up to $5000 - $5500...closer to the cost of Morryde IS.

Edit: The information on the link above does not specify inches of travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	15578  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:59 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post

Very affordable.
MorRyde IS is 5.5 inches of travel. How many inches of travel is the Roadmaster?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #8
Captchris

M.O.C. #32345
Thank everyone for their input. I have made the decision to put the IS on, So up to Morryde in April24.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
If you have flexibility call MORryde and see if they have any cancellations. I was able to get in a month after our new unit purchase. I think you will like the handling of the RV as well while towing.
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #10
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
We LOVE our Morryde IS. If we had it to do over there would be NO hesitation about the Morryde. Love it.
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:49 PM   #11
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captchris View Post
Thank everyone for their input. I have made the decision to put the IS on, So up to Morryde in April24.
Great choice. We just did ours mid August. Noticed a difference immediately. Before when we hit a bump with the rear wheels of the truck shortly after we felt the same bump with each of the axles on our fiver. Now, no subsequent bump after the truck! Amazing difference. Over 1K miles home no damage experienced which is a rarity!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:17 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
There is no comparison to the IS out there. When I go over a pretty rough railroad crossing with the truck I definitely feel it but can't feel the trailer cross it at all. The disc brake system is even more impressive. Not saying I can stop on a dime but pretty close.
The main reason I did the is was not for any of those above reasons. It was to get away from Spring/ shackle/ wet bolt/ spring hanger issues with the old horse and buggy system.
Previous to doing the IS I personally replaced everything under there besides the axles. Even after doing that the problems persisted.
Trust me when I tell you this system is Beefy in comparison to what came off. If memory serves me correctly I believe the IS and it's related to Steel framework added around 900lbs of weight to the trailer
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:39 PM   #13
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Before the IS, I was replacing leaf springs and u bolts at least 2 times per year. We even moved up to the six-leaf springs, up from the OEM five leaves. I became a pro at changing them, and kept 5 sets of hardware on hand at all times, with all of the tools ready for the inevitable side-of-the-highway incident (which occurred).

I thought we were overweight. But, when we checked on the CAT scales, we were slightly below weight for the springs' max load. They should not have been breaking.

As an engineer, I prefer to have a little head room when dealing with maximums. So, when we ended up at MorRyde, we not only swapped out the suspension for the I/S, but also bumped up to the MorRyde 8K axles and the disc breaks.

1) The I/S suspension is much heavier than a simple bunch of leaf springs, so they add a few hundred pounds to the trailer weight. If we were close to Max prior to the I/S upgrade, we would be over Max if we stayed at 7K axles
2) with 8K axles, we could also upgrade to the better Goodyear G114 tires and larger 9/16 lugnuts that take up to 125 psi. This is a different class than the OEM tires IMHO
3) The disc brakes are much much better than the electric magnets, IMHO. My magnets were mediocre at best, and often one of the four wheels just did not work, even after verifying the electrical connection to the circuitry.
4) Finally, IMHO the ride is smoother with the I/S, and the laser alignment that they do during installation starts you off with a properly-aligned machine, which should help with your tire wear.

We are full timers, and since getting the I/S in May 2020 we have over 21,000 miles on the I/S, and couldn't be happier with the $11K investment (including all new wheels, rims, disc brakes, and 8K axles). I will not purchase my next full-timer RV without something equivalent.

My two cents!
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:49 PM   #14
Captchris

M.O.C. #32345
Thanks so much for the input. I have made the appointment and between now and then I am going to look closer at my weight and axles and tires/rims. I am going to up grade the king pin box also. I feel confident that these changes will make a big difference. Once again thanks for the inout it is always appreciated.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:40 AM   #15
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
It's not necessary to spend ~$10k to improve your trailers suspension system. There is an alternative IS system that's very competitively priced and offers both air-ride and AEON IS springs. IMHO you should compare other options when considering IS.
https://timbren.com/
Old 10-02-2023, 08:58 AM   #16
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2itcliff View Post
It's not necessary to spend ~$10k to improve your trailers suspension system. There is an alternative IS system that's very competitively priced and offers both air-ride and AEON IS springs. IMHO you should compare other options when considering IS.
https://timbren.com/
I followed the link and saw what I consider “leveling devices”. IMHO, this is not even comparable to an independent suspension system. With the AEON IS springs you still need to deal with wet bolts, etc. which are the bane of our Montana’s suspension. My suspension AND disc brakes were right at $8 with the 7K axles. For my use, the money was well spent.

Thank you for your input! Most of us here appreciate different ideas and the wealth of information they bring.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote