Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2023, 10:57 AM   #21
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
As to the filter - my 2004 had a filter but my 2012 Silverado does not!!!! Why!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your 2004 was a GM, it was a "maybe it has it" year. Some had a cabin air filter, some did not. The determining factor apparently was what time of the model year it was built, as GM had 2 different vendors that year for heater/ac duct boxes. There was a modification procedure posted on the DuraMax forum back then for a do it yourself project to modify the airbox to accommodate a filter. Inclusion of cabin filters in the trucks has been an "on again off again" process.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #22
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana2019 View Post
If the sprays don’t totally nix the smell you could also try an ozone machine available on Amazon.
I’d open it all up cabin filter out etc, close it in car and let it run for a bit depending on size of machine you get. Then air the car out. Don’t breath the 03 of course, it’s toxic to anything living including mold.
Remove any rubber floor mats.
The machine will kill odors exceptionally well.
Best of luck
This is an interesting idea. The foam A/C cleaner didn't seem to do it although the odor seems to be a bit less so it may have done something.
I ordered the machine and it will be here tomorrow. I just got a small one for $25 but it will clean 350 sq-ft which should be plenty. I still have the cabin filter out and will set it right above it with the A/C fan on to draw it through the system.

I will report back.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Update

So here is a progress report.
I tried the ozone generator and that didn't do it.
Then I took it to a detailing shop and they shot some stuff into the outlet vents the is supposed to be good for odors and assured me it would work. It didn't. I won't ask for a refund because they didn't charge me anything.
I even looked at the air cleaner filter just to see if there might be an animal there, but nothing abnormal, (should replace that filter though).
So I'm leaning on my truck talking to my neighbor and I look down and see something behind the cab. It sort of looks like a thin pad or something similar about 1/4" think and maybe 12" high and runs about 1/3 across the width of the box. It's stuck to the cab and looks like I could pull it off. It has moss on top of it and I'm wondering what the heck it is and if anyone knows, please clue me in. The picture is looking down between the cab and the box.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2023, 09:59 PM   #24
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Looks like you're on to something. Can't tell exactly what it is from the picture but it looks like sound insulation board. If it's porous and got wet it probably has mildew and would explain why the AC treatments didn't do anything.

Here's a link to a discussion board where the bed is removed from a 2017 F350 and you can see in the pictures there are two cab vents in the rear cab wall. Doesn't appear to have anything like your picture between the cab and bed. Our 2021 F350 just has a gap between the sheet metal of the cab and bed.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-removal.html

Maybe you can get a coat hanger or yardstick and fish or push that material out.

If that's the culprit, thinking you would need to Lysol the vents and maybe the vent side of the liner behind the back seat from inside the cab. Here's a youtube video where a guy unlatches the backrest of his 2017 and you can see the liner that would cover the vents. Not sure if you would have the same seats but a detail shop or body shop could probably help you if you don't have fold down seats. There are youtubes on how to remove a back seat as well.

LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:28 AM   #25
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Thanks for the great reply. That box removal definitely shows a pair of vents there. And the seat video is a big help. I actually saw yesterday in a video where that hidden latch is. They actually make a kit for a release handle for that. I'm not sure why Ford put a latch there that you can't reach easily. They have one on the other side.
Anyway, that would explain why the smell builds up when the truck is sitting and diminishes when you run the a/c or just the blower as that would likely be an exhaust vent.
Hope to get into that later today. I have to deal with dead batteries first. I got 6 years out of the OEM so I guess I can't complain. Then have to cover the pool before the leaves start falling. I will report back.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:54 AM   #26
Montana2019
Established Member

M.O.C. #22614
I think your on to the source now! Once the source is eliminated, if you have residual smell, that is where you will find your other previous methods like ozone will be effective on.
We just recently eliminated smoke smell from a new used car we purchased. It took about 3-4 half hour runs with the size of unit I purchased, but I was also leaning in with caution as I didn’t want to over do it. I’ve heard o3 can damage rubber parts in excess.
I think after using it however, with my little machine, it would be hard to do.
Looking forward to hearing About your progress
Good Luck
Montana2019 is offline   Reply With Quote