Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #21
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
From what I have read, it's better to use 2 6 volt in series than 2 12v in parallel. If You don't want to trash a perfectly good 12v then use 2 12v but wire them through a selector switch. This way 1 battery can get run down while another is fresh. They will last longer used seperately than together. This is especially true if 1 battery is stronger than the other, the stronger one will discharge to attempt to even out the other.

Just what I have read.

John

NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #22
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We we bought our current TT, I put in a 2nd 12V battery (in parallel). Never really seemed to do the job, it would discharge after no more than 2 days. I finally said "enough" and went to our local independent battery shop where the owner is also an RVer. We put in 2 new 6V golf cart batteries in series. On our next "dry" trip we went 5 nights without having to recharge! It was well worth the expense (about $150 for 2 batteries). I highly recommend using the 6s instead of the 12s.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:01 AM   #23
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Dave and Shirley,
If your going to buy a extra battery do a little more investigation on what kind to purchase.(a 6 or 12 volt) Last spring I did the same thing and purchased a battery equal in size (12 volt) to the one that the Montanna came with. I made a wood box and lined it with tin, I made a drain in the bottom of the box that would take care of both batteries. I attached the bottom of the box to the Montanna frame so that it was not able to slide around. In the cover I made for the batteries I made a vent hole that I could connect a hose too and drilled a 1" hole in the front of the Montanna which I installed a small vent that I bought from our dealer. To hold the cove on I installed four luggage type latches that I could remove quickly. When I want to check the water in the batteries I just open the front compartment pull of the vent hose relase the four catches and lift the cover off. If you would like a picture of this send me youir email address and I will be happy to send you one. My dealer even said it looked very professional. Back to the point, the reason I said to investigate the type of battery more is, I was informed that I would have been better off to purchase four 6 volt golf cart batteries instead of the two twelve volt. They claim you get better results with the 6 volt. It was to late for me to do this because I had already invested $70.00 in another 12 volt. If I ever have to buy a new battery I will go the six volt way. The extra 12 volt battery does help though. For my generator I installed another lawn mower battery which is plenty to get my generator going, it doesn't take up much room either.
Anyway it's winter now and you have time to do this research. Enjoy you Montanna, I am really pleased with our's.

Bill & Rita
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:56 AM   #24
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We would like to add a third battery. We put in a second one when we got the rig. I have a third battery that I use for a boat motor. I would like to have it hooked up so it would charge and it would extend the use of our inverter. Any advice? Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a quick update. I purchased two 6 volt "golf cart" (Trogan) batteries on Thursday. I have everything I need for installation except the battery box I need -- either one new one or a two battery box. I really have not yet found the one I want which would be as nearly identical to the original battery box that came on the Montana as possible. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance. I am makng progress.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #26
Montana_562
Established Member

M.O.C. #562
Last winter I went to Walmart - bought two battery trays,straps with quick release latches(camping dept) and a plastic box (household goods) that fit the 2 trays and batteries. fastened trays thru the big box to bottom of front compartment . Cut a hole in the snap-on lid of the big plastic box and inserted original air tube. Works like a charm - snap off the lid and let it hang when checking fluids.
Lots of ways to cover 2 batteries, this was mine and I'm stickin to it.
Montana_562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Sound like a great idea to me. I will be visiting WalMart in the next day or two.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #28
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
No luck at WalMart. Purchased "Bluesea" battery box for two golf cart batteries online. Just got the box and new batteries installed today. So here's how it looks:

Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 AM   #29
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
That install looks good. Did you have any problems putting it in?

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Really no great problems. We had to relocate the grounding cable (easy) and relocate the screws which hold the sewer hose container which protrude up into the front storage area (finally, just cut them off) Made an opening in the box cover just to fit the vent hose at the top and another in the bottom of the box (were able to use the original hole through the bottom plate (just barely fit). Drilled a pilot hote into the "shelf" above and attached the switch with a self taping screw. A couple of hours work if you have all the tools and fastenings. The batteries will not be easy to take out. They are very heavy! Will have to slide the whole box over to the left then remove the batteries. Hope that is not needed for a long while.

Just a note. We had a power outage in our home (all electric) while we had guests. We 'repaired' to the trailer and fixed breakfast using the batteries and propane. (glad for the coffee perculator). Plenty of DC power and the batteries still seemed full of charge.

I heartily recommend this modification. Will be glad to answer any more specific questions.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm reading this thread with interest. I've heard in other forums that two 6v batteries is the best way to go. Or four if that's what you want. I'm reluctant to toss out our perfectly good 12v battery but when it dies (28 months and still going strong) I'm going to seriously consider making this change. Thanks everyone for the informative posts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #32
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Our system for the Montana's is for 12 volts, correct?

The reason I ask is because…….

We have two 6v Interstate Batteries "Workaholic" Deep Cycle, U2200. These batteries came from our previous camper and were hooked up in a series. I had the batteries switched to our Montana. The wonderful folks at the dealership decided to hook up only one since the Montana comes with a battery box to fit one battery. After I got home with the new baby, I quickly discovered some ominous sounds from the battery, a foul smell, and no juice. I unhooked the battery quickly jerry rigged the other battery in the camper with two sets of bungee cords. I set them up in a series. No problems since with same level of performance as in our previous camper. Didn’t give it much thought afterwards but figured the culprit was the camper trying to run off a mere 6v instead of the 12v allowed by running in a series.
Just a lesson learned!

If anyone else is using these batteries (they are big and heavy) and know of a tray/box to support them, let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it!
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:33 PM   #33
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We use 12V deep cycle marine batteries. Bob added a second battery positive to positive, negative to negative, in its own box. They are a pain in the patootie to check and he is thinking about moving them one of these days.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, they're 12v. The sounds and smell may have been from the converter's charger putting 12v into a 6v battery and the no juice situation because of just 6v of battery trying to power 12v systems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #35
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Smoketrain.. the idiots at the dealership owe you two new batteries. This is not rocket science... the incompetance of the guy who did thid to you would scare me off that dealer completely. What else have they mucked up??? Your brakes??? Your propane???

This is a case of pure negligeance... don't let them get away with it.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #36
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Smoketrain, I am just wondering if you have read the previous pages of this topic? You will see there a photo of the new battery box I have just installed in my Montana. Indeed, the 2 six volt batteries are very heavy, but this battery box is just a fit for them, and wired in series they produce 12 volt output, and seem to be longer lasting in producing power.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #37
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Gruffy,

If they (the batteries) did not perform to my expectations set by the other camper they were installed in, I would have been waiting at their door. It's been several months since with no problems so far. They were told about it and apologized for the mistake. I probably let them off easy. I ended up bringing the camper back to the dealership for warranty issues and they have been awesome. Looking back at everything, my approach worked out for the better.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #38
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
padredw,

Your set up is nice and deceiving at the same time. How big are your batteries?

Each, mine come in at 7" W x 10-1/4" L x 9-3/4" H with the posts adding another 1-1/4" H. Looking at the website, it looks like I could fit both of them in the box.
If I'm reading correctly, the box inside measurements are 10-3/4" W x 14-3/4" L x 11-2/4 H.

It would be close but it would fit. What do you think?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:58 AM   #39
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Smoketrain, I just checked the Trogan web site and I believe my batteries are the same size as you note above. If so, they just exactly fit in the battery box I purchased and installed. As I said in the earlier post, I could not get them out without moving the box over from under the shelf above, but I hope not to do that often (ever again?). The box is, in fact, designed precisely for two "golf cart" batteries. As I said, mine are Trogan brand. Let me know if you have any question about installation.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #40
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
padredw,

I sent you a PM.