Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
bingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #18899
Bike Rack on Bumper

Does anyone have any experience with a Bumper mounted Rack. I have read about warranty issues ect. But I am more interested in strength of the bumper.The bumper is welded to a 2x4 or a 2x6 tube steel but I just noticed that that is then welded to a 2x2 piece. Any thoughts?

[/URL][/img][/URL][/img]

bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Rather than mess around and risk warranty issues and/or having the bikes beat to heck bouncing on the back we just bought some fat tire folding ebikes that I can fit in the front storage area of our 3790rd as there is virtually nothing up there due to all the storage space at the back. We took one of the bikes for a ride on various terrains today and then fold them up and checked sizing and weight for lifting, all was good so we bought them. Solved the problem without putting a roof rack on the truck.......... makes me feel much better and the ebikes are a blast.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I have seen the bouncing of the bike racks, especially if the rack is extended on a longer lever, eventually break the bumper metal and ruin three bikes. So it depends on how heavy the bikes and how big the bumps.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Personally, I would never hang my bikes off the end of a fifth wheel. Too much commotion! There are other alternatives. Mine are on the roof of my truck, which, though tricky at times, are about as safe and out of the way as you can get. Others here have welded a hitch receiver to their pinbox, another good idea. If your bikes are heavy, something is going to break, good reason not to put them back there. If they're light, that means they're expensive, so again, not back there!

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have mine on the back. Just like the photograph. I have a piece of a bar and clamp that I attach to one of the bikes and the ladder. I believe it prevents any bouncing. Don't have any photographs,
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:41 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
My bicycle rack (Allen brand) came with bolts that will secure it to the factory installed receiver both 1 1/4 and 2" and it is totally movement free using the appropriate bolt instead of a pin. I also installed a piece of 1" aluminum angle from the bicycle rack to the ladder attaching it to both sides with stainless u-bolts.

We are full-timers and have carried 2 adult aluminum framed bikes (Townies) on our rear rack with no problems regarding movement.

BTW my rear receiver is factory mounted to the frame.....not a bumper.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have a bike rack that fits in the 1 1/2 receiver on the back of our Montana. Have been across the U.S. and down to Arizona 5 times along with other trips and various other rough roads with no problems. Nothing wrong with putting bikes on back of trailer. DON'T use the ladder for attaching bikes. Putting bikes on top of cab is too high and awkward for me.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

My bicycle rack (Allen brand) came with bolts that will secure it to the factory installed receiver both 1 1/4 and 2" and it is totally movement free using the appropriate bolt instead of a pin. I also installed a piece of 1" aluminum angle from the bicycle rack to the ladder attaching it to both sides with stainless u-bolts.

We are full-timers and have carried 2 adult aluminum framed bikes (Townies) on our rear rack with no problems regarding movement.

BTW my rear receiver is factory mounted to the frame.....not a bumper.

I think that is the big difference, you have the factory installed receiver, and that's made for that. I had the bumper mounted receiver and rack on my old unit, by buddy behind me said it was rocking a lot. On my Monty, I didn't try it, I called Keystone and they said NO WAY. SO I leave myself, too, trying to figure out a solution. I thought about the ladder racks, but a lot of people say they have issues with those. I don't want to modify my pin box, I think all that is left is my roof. For now, its just 2 adult bikes, I can still fit the kids in the storage up front, but when they get bigger, they will have bigger bikes....
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:07 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I made a pin box mount that does not require any modifications to the pin box. It just uses the pin box bolts to attach it. Only cost about $20 for the receiver tube at Harbor Freight. I had some 2"x2" angle iron laying around and I welded it myself. If you don't weld, a metal shop could probably do it fairly cheaply. I can easily carry 3 adult bikes and maybe a 4th with my long bed. No bouncing up there, out of the way, and always in sight. Loading/unloading is easy. I just back the truck near the mount, lift the bikes into the bed, step into the bed, and lift the bikes onto the mount. And reverse to get them off.

There are commercial mounts available, but for several hundred dollars I think.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
bingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #18899
Thanks everybody!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I did what BB_TX did. I have a SB TV and able to mount 2 full size bikes and am extremely happy. Very solid!
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I put my bike rack on the front of my F250 after I had a 2 inch receiver installed. The 2 bike have ridden there very well for over 10,000 miles. Even when I am at home, I leave the bike rack in the front. Easy to load and I can see the road very well while also seeing the bikes. I got the idea from other MOCers--I appreciated their advice. This all just my opinion--offered for free. Travel safe!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
I have the swagman carrier that fastens to the bumper with two u-bolts. The two bicycles tires sit down in the carrier which makes for very easy loading and unloading. At the time I ordered from Amazon I saved about forty dollars verses Rv Dealer.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
I did much as you did on my Mountaineer. I mounted a Curt 2" receiver on my rear bumper and used a Swagman bike carrier. The only modification I had to make was adding two angle brackets under the bumper to the frame which the bumper is mounted on. I had an acquaintance which had his bumper pulled down from the frame connection without the support. I learned from his experience. We have traveled all over the West with no issues yet. I tapered the outer end of the angle brackets to keep them from digging into the road when we go through dips in the road.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I put one on and it seems very secure and no flopping around. No sticker was on the bumper advising me my warranty would be voided, like was on the former Wildcat bumper.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #16
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by speedster100

Rather than mess around and risk warranty issues and/or having the bikes beat to heck bouncing on the back we just bought some fat tire folding ebikes that I can fit in the front storage area of our 3790rd as there is virtually nothing up there due to all the storage space at the back. We took one of the bikes for a ride on various terrains today and then fold them up and checked sizing and weight for lifting, all was good so we bought them. Solved the problem without putting a roof rack on the truck.......... makes me feel much better and the ebikes are a blast.

How do you like your fat tire folding bikes? Are they the EBikes? I was looking at those the other day.

Pam
pammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Bingle,

We had ours on the back bumper using a rack just like you had pictured. However our reciver was tied into a custom welded piece of heavy 4x4 square tubing that was bolted into the frame about 2' in front of the flimsy rear bumper. Later I even added two more recivers and we carried a lightweight Kawasaki Enduro (street legal dirt bike) on a piece of channel iron that was supported on top of three hitch sized square tubing. At various times we also towed a jet ski or 14' jon boat using the center reciver. We never had any issues with this setup but it was considerably heavier duty compared to the lightweight factory bumper. I would not put anything heavier than a bicycle on that factory bumper!

With that specific bike rack (which we really love) you can also mount it to the reciver on your tow truck and it will work great. If you get a piece of square tubing that is long enough you can setup the bikes to slide back far enough that you can drop the tailgate and unhitch without having to take the bikes completely off the truck (I have that sort of setup as well but I am a welder and fairly handy).

Or you can get a HC 381TH which has a basement garage and cure all your troubles...
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I did the front hitch method for our bike rack. I picked up the hitch from etrailer.com and installed it myself (~1.5 hours) and use a Swagman 2 place rack I picked up at a CW sale. We traveled about half the summer with it and worked well so far. It took a little getting used to wrt visibility as I sticks up a little into the line of sight, mainly when cresting a hill when the truck nose is higher.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I made a pin box mount that does not require any modifications to the pin box. It just uses the pin box bolts to attach it. Only cost about $20 for the receiver tube at Harbor Freight. I had some 2"x2" angle iron laying around and I welded it myself. If you don't weld, a metal shop could probably do it fairly cheaply. I can easily carry 3 adult bikes and maybe a 4th with my long bed. No bouncing up there, out of the way, and always in sight. Loading/unloading is easy. I just back the truck near the mount, lift the bikes into the bed, step into the bed, and lift the bikes onto the mount. And reverse to get them off.

you weren't in Kentucky in October of 2017 i saw the exact same setup and loved it

2017 F350SD/4x4/DRW
Montana 356TBF
Cory
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #20
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

I did a very similar similar setup with both of our Sandpipers. I used a platform rack and carried three bikes. Never a problem and you can see them at all times. When/IF the back gets better, I will do something very similar to yours for the Montana and the TrailAir pin box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140425_170741_zpsd12ac440.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	803