Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Question for those with a South Dakota domicile

Our annual vehicle registration renewal cost has increased significantly in the three years that we have had a South Dakota domicile. For our 2012 Ford F350 dually and 2013 Montana Big Sky 3700RL, our renewal for 2013 was $297. In 2014 it increased to $351 and for 2015 it is now up to $414.

Has anyone else in South Dakota experienced a heavy rate of increase like that?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We haven't renewed for 2015 yet, but we have been notified by our mail service that the fees will increase 20% on all registrations after the middle of April- The increase is to fund road and bridge repairs that have been neglected for years- We are aware that Iowa has increased the fuel tax 10c a gallon for the same reason- We feel South Dakota is still the way to go for us for other economic reasons- Remember the old adage " If you want to play, you got to pay" My question is " Why have our governmental bodies been so reluctant to do the right things?" Adequate taxation is necessary to keep our country safe and private enterprise [ our road and bridge and support businesses ] functioning- JMHO- RANT over- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Varies a bit by county. We still consider SD a good economical decision and Dakota Post (Alternative Resources) in Sioux Falls has always taken good care of us. We also were notifIed rates are going up for roads. So what else is new!! Just look at grocery prIces..
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
As long as all South Dakota folks have experienced the same thing, we guess we can't complain.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
I have noticed the fees have gone up every year since we changed over. At the rate they are going if it were not for the lower insurance cost, I would be tempted to find some place else.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We had to move from SD to TX due to not being to get healthcare as fulltimers under the age of 65. Let me tell you if it were not for healthcare we would have stayed in SD as the cost to register and insure the truck, trailer and motorcycles is a lot more, a lot more in Texas all combined.

In Texas there is a lot of issues with uninsured motorists which we all have to pay for. Registrations, titling and licensing is about the same but we have to have the vehicles inspected every year.

Now as for the increases, it is understood that our nation's infrastructure is in dire need of repair and raising "fee's" or taxes or however the politicos want to spin it is not the answer. Maybe if they stopped stealing, I mean borrowing from the transportation trust funds in both the states and feds there would be no need to continue to raise the taxes.
Ok, I feel better now.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 AM   #7
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Can't wait to get to SD and leave CA. SD fees are chump change compared to CA.
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Florida doubled our tag fees a few years ago.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
2015 TX registration renewal for my:
2011 Chevy 3500- $68.50
2006 Montana - $125.50

All online
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'd be happy to trade any of you guys/gals who have South Dakota domicile and your fees. I'm paying nearly three to four time what you guys are but that is because I have property here in Nebraska and HAVE TO REGISTER our unit and truck here. I do register both in the county that the farm is in which lowers the taxes/registrations some but they are still high compared to the SD fees. Thank your lucky stars that you can register it there. I've heard they(South Dakota) has started to realize the goldmine they are missing out on with all of the RVer's registering their domicile in their State and have started to cash in on it some. Some States are watching now for rv's being registered in SD and being stored in their home states. I've heard of lawsuits going on because of this and back taxes charged to those doing such. Not a good thing to play roulette with the DOT and the State tax agencies!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I agree with Rondo. Some states are so starved for tax revenue that they will chase it anywhere they can. When we moved from Missouri to Ohio about 15 years ago, it took three years and a long paper trail to prove to Missouri that we no longer owed them state income tax. The former governor of Ohio hated snow birds who lived in Florida for 6 months plus one day and Ohio for 6 months minus one day to take advantage of the tax benefits in Florida. He tried to pass a law that everybody who entered Ohio would owe state tax for the period that they were in the state. It didn't matter that there was no way to collect the tax, he wanted the money.

Since we became South Dakota residents we maintain a spread sheet. We can tell where we spent every night since day one. We can tell how much and where we spent every sent on our truck and the Big Sky. We can also tell if we left the rig in one location while traveling to visit in another location. Everything on our spread sheets can be backed up with credit card or bank records.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Why was getting Healthcare a problem in South Dakota? We are retired Full Timers and currently have healthcare through Obama Care and it works great for us here in Tennessee.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We didn't have a problem getting healthcare. It's just that the way the government has the system set up, it is illegal to have your health insurance cross state lines. Our Ohio Humana coverage was cancelled when we left the state. We had to have it replaced with a policy authorized for South Dakota.

We don't want to turn this post into a political argument, but since the enactment of Obama care Don's long time GP Doctor and Urologist has stopped taking Medicare. They will file the insurance with Medicare but make it clear that Don will be responsible for any charges over and above with Medicare will cover. Bonnie had 3 GP's refuse to take her as a patient before the 4th agreed.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We are fulltimers and legal residents of South Dakota and have been for 15 years- Our Medicare and our supplement has been accepted in every state where we have needed care without exception- I suspect your problem is the policy you had, not with the Affordable Care Act- Shop around and you will find the coverage you seek- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
No, it's not a matter of coverage. Our Ohio policy was and now our South Dakota policy is accepted anywhere we go. At the time that we changed domiciles, Humana terminated our coverage that was written in Ohio. We did shop around and bought another Humana policy that was legal in South Dakota. Although most insurance companies do operate in multiple states, the policies that they write are prohibited by Federal law from being issued across state lines, thus our move required a different policy.

To clarify my Obama care comment. Part of the legislation reduced the payments to doctors for Medicare services to patients. As a result there are numerous doctors who have opted out of the Medicare network either by refusing to accept new Medicare patients or charging their patients for costs above what Medicare will pay for.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #16
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Why was getting Healthcare a problem in South Dakota? We are retired Full Timers and currently have healthcare through Obama Care and it works great for us here in Tennessee.
Scott,

The problem with getting healthcare in SD is if you are under 65 and do not qualify for Medicare. The way the state laws are set up the insurance companies do not and will not recognize the mail forwarding addresses us fulltimers use.

There are some who have tricked the online systems with their addresses to sign up for HC but that is a gamble we are unwilling to take as should you make a claim they might very well reject it as you would have committed fraud.

We wrote to our representatives and the Governor and they pretty much said we are SOL unless the laws change.

We consulted with Kyle Henson from www.rverhealthinsurance.com where he also explains the issue.

The other good source of info is a fulltimers blog, www.wheelinit.us
where she goes thru the issues as well. Check the healthcare section.

Good luck!

We are now Proud Texans!

Les and Sue
Old 06-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We cannot comment on Bigboomer's post since we were both on Medicare at the time of our change of address.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #18
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Bigboomer: We use a mail forwarding service, UPS Store Mailbox, and have not had any problems with our insurance through the Health Care Act. We have a policy with BC/BS that is good anywhere in the country for about a year now and have made several claims as DW has had a knee replacement done. Neither of us is on Medicare. We got this policy through Kyle Henson and he knew our situation and recommended it.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Bigboomer: We use a mail forwarding service, UPS Store Mailbox, and have not had any problems with our insurance through the Health Care Act. We have a policy with BC/BS that is good anywhere in the country for about a year now and have made several claims as DW has had a knee replacement done. Neither of us is on Medicare. We got this policy through Kyle Henson and he knew our situation and recommended it.
Scott,

I see you are in Tennessee. Not sure how the laws are set up there but if they are similar to Texas then the insurance companies cannot play the games they are in SD.

Each state is different such as Florida where you can get insurance with a mail forwarding address like Texas.

Does Tennessee have their own exchange? That may also make a difference.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #20
SHILO1977
Established Member

M.O.C. #18330
Rondo hit the nail on the head, I live in California in my fees for my 2015 3791RD WAS 345.00 and for my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500hd was 505.00 so South Dakota here I come when I retire.
SHILO1977 is offline   Reply With Quote