Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Montana_5833
Established Member

M.O.C. #5833
Possible leak

I moved my 5th wheel from the side of the house down the driveway and back up in front of the garage to get it ready for the season when my wife noticed some water draining from the bottom. I jumped out to find it was coming from under the bottom enclosure material. I did not get to cover the camper for the winter due to some surgery I had. The water was clean or at least not black tank. I did winterize the unit by blowing out the lines and adding some antifreeze to each drain and of course draining all tanks and heater etc. I can't imagine how the water got under the plastic material they cover the bottom with. We checked the roof and all the walls and filled the fresh water tank and found nothing. I am on LI NY so there was a substantial amount of snow fall this past winter and I was thinking maybe from the acumulation between the camper and the house. Sounds a little far fetched I know but I can't figure it out. Should I be worried? Should I pull the plastic or am I getting too paranoid. Thanks.

Montana_5833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Anthony,
I guess the first thing is to use everything and see if more water comes out.
One suggestion, since you have filled your fresh water tank is to turn on the pump and see if there is more water coming out as well as hearing the pump turn on to rebuild pressure if you have not used the system. That will at least isolate your fresh water system.
The next and harder area is isolating the drains.
Troubleshooting intermittent problems are fun. WRONG
There should be many more suggestion along shortly. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I don't think I would worry too much yet. Probably just some rain water running down the side of the trailer and some how found a way to lay on top of one of the plastic sheets under the unit. Hard to say what angle your trailer was on, maybe down a little at the nose. I'd just fill all the tanks and pressurize the water system and keep an eye on it for a while.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The underbelly where it is attached to the frame on my brand new 3400RL had gaps in it all the way around..I could see the silver Arctic package material and get my fingers through in many, many places. I note were you are from and here in Northern Ohio we can get drifted snow 2 or 3 feet deep around the stored camper. I figured that snow could blow through those gaps and cause a problem when it melted. I will bet that is what happened to you.. I used about a half roll of black Gorilla tape and sealed the around the frame and all those large holes around the springs, Etc. For those of you who are thinking..how could melted snow water still be in the underbelly..it was in the mid 40"s here just a few days ago...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Did you winterize the black tank flush line? Mine had a big dip in it and would freeze up and possibly crack.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After hard rains, I can push up on the under belly and water will come out the end. Scared me at first until I realized it was not a serious problem. Now I have drilled a series of small holes at the low points of the under belly to provide an excape route for the run-off.

I would sure check everything out before assuming it is due to weather though.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote