Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Slider Problem/Question

Yesterday we went on our first trip for the year, just a little "shake down" to make sure everything is working fine. When we stopped my wife was moving out the sliders while I was watching clearance on the outside. She stopped and I thought the large slider was fully out but then she yelled for me. The "header" of the slider (basically the cosmetic wood frame), was not going out with the slider on one side. The slider had taken the nails but left the frame. I was able to sort of "push" it together but it's been bothering me all night.

My problem/question is this..... I can easily fix the wood frame, much easier than waiting for my dealer now that the season is close to full swing, BUT I'm afraid it might be something larger, a bigger problem.

We've had it out several times before leaving, getting ready etc, and I for the life of me can't figure out why this happened. The slider moves nice and quietly, no noise no apparent problems. I'm just at a loss.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Mac, you need to call me. I want to help you diagnos this issue. I think it will be a simple fix if you have some basic hand tools with you.

800-LCI-SVC1 desk
574-320-4974 cell
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Once again a GREAT reason to be a member of MOC, our in-house EXPERT Dale, aka MIMF2. Where else could you post a question and you not only get suggestions, but you have someone invite you to call and try and walk you through your problem. THANKS Dale! Just for the record you have to stay around these parts!

We're still not sure what caused my "problem" but it's just nice to have such a resource!

mac
Old 04-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
MIMF2's company made the sliders. Good idea to call him if you did'nt already.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
That is one of the nice things about the forum - the right people are usually only a few keystrokes away. MIMF2 has been to the rally's also and a big help. Best of luck with the problem. We have done the same thing, but on the 3400 it is usually the cabinet doors popping open and catching the molding. Double keepers helped solve the problem for us.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Before Dale's visit to the rally last Fall I would in no way attempt to adjust our slides. After Dale and his cohort showed me what to do it is no longer a daunting task. I've done some adjustments successfully.

Also, when we were ready to leave Moab about a month ago we broke one of the shear bolts on the kitchen slide. Thanks to Dale I had some spares and also knew what broke and how to fix it. One thing I did find out is that when you replace the bolt you need to make sure the slide is straight or it will not line up properly when opened or closed. Ours was sticking out in the rear a couple of inches. It was still sealed so we hit the road and I removed the shear bolt and got it all aligned when we reached our destination. Thanks to Dale I didn't waste time nor money calling a mobile service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

Good point, when I spoke with Dale he suggested I buy a couple of those bolts and just carry along with me. I bought them the first thing when I returned the following week. Dale will be along to correct me but I believe they were 2"x1/4" 20, grade 8, with nyloc nut, all in zinc. (How's my memory Dale?) One of those things that it's good to have along in case, most of the time that's the kind of stuff you never need, but just in case! I still think Dale is a keeper!

mac
Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
mac,

Your memory is great! You don't have Dimencia, yet.

However, the handiest device to have to turn the cross shaft with to "walk" the passive end of the room to match the driver end distance away from the sidewall, is the largest "Arkansas Fits-all" you can put in your tool box.

Have I got you all confused?

Dale
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dale,
Is that a metric or SAE fits-all? I have one that says its metric. Now don't that beat all?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Charlie,

It doesn't matter. They will both work equally well!!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ok, tell me more about this tool that we should have on the rig and the size bolts that we would need. Fathers Day is coming up and I never know what I should buy him. I think this might do the trick

And yes Dale you have my confused, but it doesn't take much when it has to do with fixing things.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Colleen,

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. But, Charlie and I were just "pulling each others chain". An "Arkansas-Fitsall" is nothing more than an adjustable wrench. The most common term for it, I believe it is called a "Cresent" wrench. Only because that used to be the name of the company that made it.

They come in numerous sizes from 2 or 3 inches all the way up to, I think, 64 inches. Guys, help me out here. I know they come big enough that it nearly takes two men to work one of the biggest.

Anyway Colleen, your husband needs one or two in the 8 to 12 inch size, or 10 to 18" size to use to rotate the cross shaft if a bolt shears. A couple different sizes along with a desent set of combination wrenches compliment each other nicely in a basically equiped tool box.

The bolts to keep on hand, say about four (4) of 'em are, 2X1/4-20 grade 8 zinc coated with 1/4-20 nylok nuts for each.

Have I got you more confused? If so, call me and I will be delighted to explain all of this better to you.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dale,

Nope, I am not confused about the cresent wrench. I do know what that is and have actually used one before.

Where would one go and get the bolts that you are talking about? I wish hubby would get on this board and read everthing, but that isn't going to happen

I just want his tool box to have all of the things that he needs in it so he can work on things when he needs to. Since we are buying the new 3400RL I will have to check on fuses, light bulbs etc for his emergency fix it bag. More than likely when he is out working he will not be near a dealership.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Colleen,

You can pick these bolts at about any hardware store. I picked up my spares at Lowe's. You can most likely get them at Home Depot or Menard's.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dale,

I've heard those called an adjustable spanner too, several other things as well. I probably could use a larger one in my "emergency kit".

mac
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, when I replaced a shear bolt recently I could not budge the square tube with my crescent. I'd have to look but it's either 10 or 12 inches. I had to have Vicki lightly tap the slide switch until alignment was attained. This was on our kitchen slide, which is heavy with appliances, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #17
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Steve,

Certainly the longer the wrench the more torque you will be able to generate. However, the best way to get both ends of the room lined up the equal amout of distance away from the sidewall is to remove the bolt in the shaft at the drive end. Remember, the drive end is the end of the mechanizm where the hydraulic cylinder is located. If that bolt is installed, you never will be able to rotate the cross shaft because, you are working against the cylinder.

The best way to line up the passive end with the drive end is as I suggested, to have the bolt in the shaft at the passive end and remove the one at the drive end. That way, you should be able to "walk" the passive end back and forth or in and out to get it at the correct distance and the bolt holes lined up at the drive end to push the bolt thru and mount the nut.

Most assuredly, that huge kitchen slide on the road side of your coach will be tough to move in the first place. But, it doesn't hurt to use the pump to move the drive end as close as possible to minimize the amount of cranking on the square cross shaft tube that may need to be done to get the holes to line up.

WHEW! That wore me out! I wander how many times today I will have to repeat this over the phone to dealer service techs? Oh well, it's all part of the job.

Have good day! Looking forward to seeing the two of you in about 6 weeks.

Dale
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dale..saw a thread on another forum about walking on the slides when they are in..some said ok..some said a no no..who better to ask than MIMF-2.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dale. I was working against the cylinder. I had enough trouble fitting the new bolt into that little hole as it was. I had to screw it through most of the way. I'm not sure I'd want to remove and replace the other one as well although I would have to if there were nobody there to work the slide switch for me. Thanks for the info.

Rich, at one of the rally factory tours the rep climbed up on the roof of a slide and walked around and said it is plenty strong to handle it. He was Keystone, not Lippert, though.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:31 AM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I just have to ask. When I am underneath my large living room slider where are the shear bolts located? I see one large bold by each tire but that might not be it. Where the "gear bar" meets the outside of the slider there are I think two bolts from that shaft to the slider.
The more I understand my Monty the better I feel.

Again thanks to our board for their knowledge and experience, can't put a price on it. And of course our resident Lippert expert, Dale, we all owe you for your help!

Getting ready to hit the road, having our two Grand kids with us, this IS what camping is all about!!

Happy Memorial Day to ALL!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote