Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
No propane pressure to trailer

Yesterday I turned on the curbside propane slowly and the dial moved to half red and half green. Proceded to light the stove. stove working fine. Pushed heater button and heater ignited and worked fine. Pushed refrig gas button and the lights said everything was working. I am on shore power, ac working. Later that evening opened propane door and the dial is now solid red, slowly turned knob to off. Today I can't get the dial to move off red. Switched tanks. Still nothing. I move the tank knob very slowly still nothing. What should I try next?

Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Sounds like the regulator failed. check the inlet hose also,maybe collapesd inside
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Many of us have had problems with the ACME propane connector.

But, what I would try first is just turn both tanks on and leave them on for a half hour or so (so pressure can equalize) with no load at all on them. Make sure the selector lever on the auto-changeover valve is all the way left or right. If you get propane in one direcion, try the other to see if you maintain pressure. Let us know how you make out.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Open the valve very slowly and listen for a click. If you hear the click the valve inside the tank shut off. This will cause the regulator to turn half green and red.
Turn the valve back off and listen for the click when the tank inside safety valve opens, then just crack the valve until you hear gas leaking through. When it stops open the valve all the way. If you hear the click when you crack the valve repeat the sequence again until the pipe fills and the pressure equalizes. The regulator will be full green.
It takes a little longer to fill the pipe going to the other side than it does to fill just the short hose.
Hope this will help.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Thanks guys for the quick input. Will try again in the morning.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
As the valve stated above is a safety feature in case of a leak, you may have a propane leak causing the tanks to shutoff.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
slow means very - very - very slow when you crack that valve to feed the regulator. If you put your ear up close to the valve you can hear the propane start to charge the line - don't open it any more until you hear the flow stop and then you should be able to open it all the way. anyway it works for me.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does the curb side have that little red regulator? Many of us have had those fail. They can be replaced but I just took it out and replaced it with a connector. The input to the regulator differs from the output, so if you decide to go eith an adapter, take the red regulator with you to match it up with an adapter. I could not find what I wanted at Lowe's nor Home Depot but Ace Hardware had it. Actually, if I recall, I may have used two adapters to get the right connection sizes. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm outside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
sreigle/////I would advise against doing that....I did and it cost me a new two stage regulator ..the red regulator is there as a safety precaution against leaks.. it also prevents the propane safety valve shutting off when the demand is there for full pressure use from that tank.it regulates the flow of gas and prevents liquid propane from moving into the line...as it was explained to me.... the propane is in the bottle as a liquid..it forms a gas and flows thru the lines to the appliances...in times of full demand the flow is strong enough to actually allow the liquid propane to migrate out of the tank and across the pipe to the other regulator.. when that happens it will destroy the interior mechanism of the two stage regulator and then nothing will work.. there are numerous posts on the subject in the archives on this forum..most of them from last fall and early winter..replace the valve with a higher pressure valve/regulator...again its in the archives..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, my understanding is RVIA requires the little regulator to be there when for a new rig to get their sticker certification but there is no legal requirement for that regulator. The newer tanks have the builtin safety valve to prevent excess flow in case of damage so that little regulator is not needed for that reason. My understanding has been that its main purpose is to avoid tripping the safety valve in the offside tank when the valve is opened quickly. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

I guess I don't understand how not having the little red regulator on the off side could cause problems with the main regulator. Prior to a few years ago, none of the rigs had that little regulator. Our 2003 didn't. And I never had a problem with the main regulator. And no problems since I removed that little regulator on this Montana several years ago. I would think if this were a problem then all the older rigs would be eating regulators on a regular basis.

Don, I don't mean to dispute what you said. You sound like you know what you're talking about. But since I've had quite a few years with no problems and since they didn't used to have that second regulator at all, I just am not understanding it.

Another thing I wonder about is the strong flow causing liquid propane to migrate to the main regulator when the little regulator is not in place. There is no little regulator between the main regulator and the tank on that side and I'd think the shorter route between them would cause this same problem even more quickly. Obviously I'm missing something?

The one thing I do have to be careful about is that with the safety valves built into the tanks, if I open the valve too quickly it locks up that valve so no propane flows from the tank. Then I have to wait a bit for it to release. I just open that valve slowly and have no problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I understand your view and opinion...I dont know anything about it other than the basics...I repeated what I was shown and explained by an RV repair tech and propane dealer....I cannot dispute or debate it as I am basically unarmed...the info was passed on only so as to be some help...IE: dont take a tongue to a gunfight..lol
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote