Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #41
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
My previous camper was a 1974 GMC motorhome,it was the best riding motorhome I have ever riden in.Torsion bar front end and air ride tandem wheels in the back,and front wheel drive.What I didn't like about it was when I needed propane I had to drive it to the filling station. What I do like about the 5th wheel is everything.But best of all is I get to keep my GMC K3500 DRW.

priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #42
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
A couple items not mentioned. I went from 31.5 class C to fiver. I'll never go back. I had bad knees prior to 2 TKRs, hitching up my toad was harder on back and knees than hitching up f/w. If you tow with a tow bar you can't back up w/o damaging the toad. I found myself being forced to back up in an emergency situation. I had 5 seconds to avoid a disaster. No time to unhook toad. Damaged steering on Jeep G/C. To get the comfort and space in a diesel pusher and toad comparable to my truck and F/W would be more than double the expense. If you travel extensively, a MH makes sense. If you sit for long periods, I think a f/w or TT makes more economic sense. IMHO
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #43
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
For the best motivation of all to go with a fifth wheel.....

Heard a story today about a guy who left his wife behind (thought she was sleeping in the bed room) at a fuel stop for their MH. 100 miles later the state police pulled him over to deliver the DW. Now that could strain a marriage!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #44
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
That's what you call a big OOPS, I bet he'll never put the MH in gear again without first checking where the DW is.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #45
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Ken might look at that story as a great motovation to get a MH!!! ; )
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #46
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

For the best motivation of all to go with a fifth wheel.....

Heard a story today about a guy who left his wife behind (thought she was sleeping in the bed room) at a fuel stop for their MH. 100 miles later the state police pulled him over to deliver the DW. Now that could strain a marriage!

I wonder if she believed that...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yea.. We have that same picture......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #48
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Most of the points have been covered in my opinion but I did not see the point of you can change the trailer with out changing your TV or change TV with out changing trailer. I have most likely bought my last TV but I doubt I have bought my last trailer.

It all boils down to you have to look at what works best your needs and desires. Most would not consider my choice of TV for example, but it works very well for us and our needs. We found the 5th wheel was the best solution for us. The wife loves the features and livability. It feels more open to us and less cave/tube like. We also like that we do not have to look past the steering wheel to see the outside world.

We have not ruled out a MH in the future. As we get older a MH may serve our needs better than a 5th wheel.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #49
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
In our Elks rv group we have several who have had both the one's who went from MH to 5ers said their biggest complaint was every time they went somewhere after the warrenty was over. They were consistinly fixing it and it just nickeled them to death. Everytime we go somewhere they are either getting something fixed has to take it in.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
We believe that the answer to your question depends on each individual. We have friends who have both.
As a rancher I have always had trucks to pull ranch and commercial trucks. It has always seemed natural to have a 5th Wheel RV since we had the trucks to use. We are on our third 5th Wheel now, Montana 3750 Model.
When we tour the RV shows, and examine the coaches of some of our friends, we admire their Class A's but see nothing that we prefer over our current Montana 5th Wheel. With our 5 slides out we also have more floor space than the Class A's of our friends. And, of course, the license and insurance cost is much lower with the 5th Wheel.
Over the years I also noticed that when it it time to trade and upgrade a unit, I easlily trade a 5th wheel or a truck without trading both.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #51
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Interesting thread, as we have sure considered both. Personally, I'd think a big motor coach would be easier to deal with, but for us, it comes down to having one "drive while parked" vehicle. Perhaps after we are in the full time world for a while, we'll change our mind. Since we already have the dually pickup, just can't jump out and get a MH, as my lady would have to follow me (or the other way around).
But, a lot of my thinking on going with a fifth wheel is we plan to be in about four spots for the entire year. So, less time on the road.
Trust me, if anyone hires me as the next great rock singer, I'd be happy to get the giant bus.... and the double decker toy hauler trailers. As I don't expect anyone to pay me to sing (since I can't sing), then I think a fifth wheel will do us well. My eventual goal after we get the fifth wheel is to get a medium or heavy truck to pull it, then upgrade to a larger fifth wheel. In my very unlightened and amateur opinion, seems easier to swap out either the pull vehicle or the fifth wheel rather than one big bus. But, again, I'm just getting into this, so any comments (or slaps to the head :-) will be taken as a learning experience. As I want to haul my motorcycle, seems that limits my motor home choices, but again I just am not positive.
For now it will be the Mountaineer 347THT and then see what happens!
David West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #52
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Generally, more room for the size, you register it as a trailer instead of a motor vehicle, the insurance is cheaper, tires are MUCH cheaper,and you always have a vehicle with you when you want to explore.

I didn't read all the responses, but these are my reasons for buying a 5er over a Class A.

Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #53
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
We have owned: a 5th wheel (Montana 3400), a gasser motorhome (Allegro Bay 37DB), and currently a diesel pusher motorhome (Phaeton 40 QDH). For us, the MH is the preferable option because (1) DW is an incurable cat rescue person so we always travel with a small herd of felines, (2) I much prefer to drive the big one and tow the little one than the other way around, (3) I never enjoyed driving around town and trying to park a pick-up that was big enough (according to specs) to safely haul our 3400, (4) I got to the point where the set-up and take-down of the 3400 was more than I wanted to deal with, (5) the total cost of the Phaeton was not significantly greater than the combined cost of the pick-up and fifth wheel we would have purchased had we chosen that option, (6) wife refused to drive a pick-up and wanted a Jeep anyway ... so we were buying a Jeep (now our toad) regardless, (7) I have more CCC than I need even when fully loaded so don't worry about weight anymore, (8) the Phaeton drives and rides like a dream.

On the down side: (1) my insurance costs are much higher, (2) oil changes, etc. are much more expensive BUT only performed once every 12,000 miles, (3) the interior layout is neither as roomy-feeling nor as cozy/homelike, (4) many gas stations sell diesel, not many have the room or the height to handle a 40-foot motorhome towing a Jeep ... so have to locate truck stops and plan diesel fuel purchases carefully, (5) tires are obscenely expensive, (6) unlike fivers, 40-foot motorhomes do not like and cannot accomodate campsites that are not level (auto-leveling systems are wonderful but limited in their ability to deal with unlevel ground), (7) in our experience, motorhome chassis and other structural components (roofs, sidewalls, floors, windshields, etc.) are subject to greater levels of stress, strain, torsion, and twisting (i.e., greater potential damage) than we ever experienced with the Montana.

On balance, the MH works for us. Clearly it does not work for everyone. I expect that is why they build and sell both!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #54
plattj1

M.O.C. #9528
We started out with motorhomes and then moved to a pull trailer, after 6 years in a smaller unit we moved up to a Montana 5th wheel. I do miss the ability to move around in the motorhome while traveling, but everything else is better in the 5th wheel.

The room you have once setup is amazing, the hooking up and unhooking is a breeze, I would say that it tows better than my Class A drove in every condition. When I do have a problem with the tow vehicle I can just call the local Chevy dealer. Also, I am not out of my rig, I do not have to give up my home for routine mehcanical work.

I do not plan to go back to a MH ever, when I can no longer handle the 5th wheel it's time to get off the road.
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #55
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
We love our 5er and have no complaints. I owned a Newmar diesel pusher MH before retiring and liked it too. There are certainly advantages to each. Here's a big one for me: Living in Alaska I have to be careful with my 5er to not head home through the Canadian mountains too early in the spring because towing my Monty on slick roads is mighty stressful. Especially steep downhill runs (and there are plenty in that country). Sometimes there are snow storms in those passes in late April and frankly I get stressed out worrying about that. In our previous MH that was not an issue...it took the mountain passes and slick roads with ease. On the other hand we really love living in our Monty which we do way more days of the year than we spend driving on or avoiding slick roads. Our Monty feels like it has more room than the MH even though the MH was a 38'. The other big factor for me is the cost of a MH. We live year around very nicely in our 3400RL and get great service from our Dodge dually for less than half of what I paid for the diesel pusher. If I won the lottery I may go back to the MH concept but that's not likely. Have fun making your decision and enjoy being on the road.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote