Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Slide Squeek

We have a 3400RL. All four slides work well, but the slide on the kitchen table/sofa side has a very bad squeel when going in or out, like a cat with his tail caught in the mechanism. I have sprayed silicone spray on all the moving parts I can get to from underneath while the D/W runs it in and out. No help, still squeels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
TL - ours squeek, as well. We use the lube spray from Walmart; about 12 bucks per can. I spray when they start to squeek, let the spray sit on the metal parts, then retract. When we get to where we're going, I spray again, heavily. This seems to help *minimize* the noise.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
TLightning

The noise may be coming from the rubber seals. They make a lube for that too. Ours makes a little noise but apparently not as much as yours.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Mine would wake the dead. I have been doing the same as snfexpress stated above and I can now live with it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I suspect the squeals we get when bringing the slider in is from the outside rubber seal at the bottom of the slider opening, rubbing against the bottom covering of the slider. I've been tempted to try to lube the rubber seal with something but am afraid it would coat the underside of the slider which, in turn, would then get the lube all over the carpet inside. The vertical side seals can be lubricated but we probably have to put up with the noise from underneath. Any thoughts? mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Mine squeales so loudly that the neighbor across the street asked when I was going to lube my garage door. I took it to a Montana dealer and they spent three hours adjusting the slide rails, lubing it. That worked good for about two weeks. I dropped the bottom on the left side and saw the fixed slide rail. I know the book says not to lube it, but you could follow the sound across the floor from operating the slider switch.I took a 1 1/2 in cheap paint brush,taped it to a broom stick, and lubed the inside of the fixed slide rail. That stopped the squeak. That was in Feb, and it hasn't made a sound since. While I had the bottom totally off in that area for another item, you can see in the end of the slide rail that runs in/out ,a roller.Theres no way that I can see to lube the shaft on it,or remove the roller except to remove the rail completely.I forced as much grease against the ends as I could hoping a little would get in. I have about 8,500 miles on it since I did that, and the grease hasn't collected dirt,dust yet.I keep the holes sealed with the spray foam. Sorry about the long post, but this is how I handled it. Maybe a little grease at the assembly line on the roller shaft would solve a lot of complaints. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, the rubber seals usually are the culprit when you get a loud, high-pitched squeal. A little seal lubricant should solve the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mine are awful - sounds like SOB when I set up . All I've ever achieved is quieting it down until the next time it gets dirty. I always thought it was the Magnesium Chloride on the roads that caused it during delivery last January. The Dealer said it was completely black when it came in, and it took spray lube to even get the the steps moving again.

Interesting resolve Xthread. Mines going to the Dealer in two weeks and I'm curious what they offer. If nothing, I'll be looking at your cure.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote