Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
water softner/holding tanks

New thread...just to clarify. Were we talking about water softener or fabric softener in holding tanks? I heard references to "calgon" which is a fabric softener in the discussions. I can't seem to find water softner except for salt blocks or pellots for a water softner. We have a softner in our stick house, but have never heard of a powder product. Looked at Wally's,etc. but could find no powdered water softner. Maybe we are missing something??? Please enlighten us as to what you are using. Thanks...Barney

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

Found in the laundry aisle, NOT the stuff for taking a long leisurely bath.

Comes in powder OR liquid

other brand names do the same thing, Borax, I believe was one other members mentioned, they'll happen along and give me to ya!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I think you are having the same problem I am having. The water around here isn't hard and so none of the stores around here carry water softner. There's no market for water softner in an area where the water is soft. You can either buy it over the internet or if you happen into an area in your travels where the water locally is hard, you'll probably be able to find it in the stores. Good luck with your search.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
so adding the water softner pellets (basically salt) will not have the desired effect in the tank?

Bill

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bill

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Salt and this Calgon(or Calgon wanna bee) are TWO different animals.

The Calgon takes minerals out of your clothing if you use it in your laundry, I have very hard water here at the stick built and the Calgon assists in keeping the whites from getting yellow.

Have no idea what salt might do down there, but, IMHO, it would not be good, might even be ugly!

Not sure the intended results of using the Calgon in the holding tanks, but believe it is to help keep em slippery, so stuff does not stick to the stupid sensors. Personally we don't use it for that reason at all, we use it to keep the ickies from building up. We use it to float out the soap scum and food particles.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Salt is used to recharge a water softener. It does NOT do the softing alone.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/how.htm
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
My guess is the solid waste in our black water tanks actually contains minerals from the food we eat. As it stands in the tank in suspension within the liquid, I suspect it in effect creates hard water which will cause the waste to attempt to cling to the walls of the tank and therefore not rinse out properly. I suspect the effect is much like soap scum in a bath tub. I believe the water softner acts as a release agent allowing our tanks to be more effectively rinsed and drained. We don't really want to retain old build up in our tanks as that would make them stinky!
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I buy water softner (calgon) at Walmart at the bath section and also put in Dawn dishwasher soap, the calgon makes tank more slippery and dishwaher soap helps breaks down the fatty items and cuts the smell in tank.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
I bought a portable water softerner at CW last year for less than
$300 and it works very well. It uses rock salt(ice cream salt) to charge the system. We are fulltimers with a washer/dryer and we have to manually backwash and add about a 1 1/2 boxes of salt about every 3-4 weeks.
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote