Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Roof Damage

I got a little too close to overhanging tree limbs and there are a few small tears in the rubber roof.
We had a hard rain storm to drive through and when I set up camp the ceiling was leaking over the bed.
On examination there appears to be a couple of small holes near the edge. I couldn't find any large tears or holes.
Is there a patch product others have used to seal the holes?
There are alot of products to use on homes so I believe there should be something to use on the Montana roof.
Thanks to all my Montana friends for your help and advice.

Danny Lovelace
ps. I live in Gainesville, Texas and we got about 12 inches of rain Monday morning and had alot of flooded areas. We are high and dry.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Go to a RV supply. They have a tape to repair the roof. I believe it is made by dicor. I just had the same problem with trees that you had. A dealer in Mi. temp patched mine. He said i needed to replace the whole roof. I have turned it over to the insurance co. $3400.00 to replace the whole roof.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I repaired dimple tears with Dicor sealant, no tape
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Been there, done that, X2 (in 2003 - learning curve!!) I had a mobile RV guy do the repair with the Dicor tape. Actually, it is a fairly thick for "tape", and about 4 - 5 inches wide. Be sure to follow the instructions re cleaning the to-be-patched area before applying the tape.

As I recall, the tape was fairly expensive at CW, but sure beats a $3500-$4000 (or more)re-roof job!! Mine has been fine for almost 4 years now..

Should work fine..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use Eternabond tape and carry an extra roll with me...just in case something like that happens or I come upon an RV friend who needs a little help. You can buy it at Camping World (pricey) or you can get patch kits from CW or any good RV dealership. As for the Eternabond, I buy it on line at www.bestmaterials.com Tjere you will find that the 4" wide Eternabond rolls are just a little over half the cost of the same roll at CW. When you put it on the roof, make sure you clean the entire area (where you're going to put the tape) with rubbing alcohol. Then be sure that you put the tape exactly where you want it because once you put it down you can't move it! It sticks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
As Orv said, it is Eternabond tape, not "Dicor" tape, that I used....just couldn't remember (CRS syndrome) the correct name of it..LOL,

PJ

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I used a product called by Kool Seal, called Kool Patch Patching Tape, a pliable, butyl rubber press-on repair.

Comes in a 2" x 42" roll for less than $10 from CW. Has worked just fine for 6+ months on a small hole about the size of a dime.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
If I use the Eternabond tape, how long will the repair last?
On other posts users are talking about replacing the entire roof rubber. When should the roof be replaced instead of repaired?
Others talk about the insurance covering the replacements and repairs, less the deductible of course. I need to check with my State Farm agent to see what coverage I have.

What warranty does dicor have on the roof rubber and what does it cover?
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
My guess is that any insurance company that would cover damage to the roof of your RV from branches that you drove under, would be some pretty expensive insurance.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The Eternabond patch will last FOREVER !!

For me, I think when to completely replace the roof would depend on whether I'm paying or the insurance co. is paying !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

My guess is that any insurance company that would cover damage to the roof of your RV from branches that you drove under, would be some pretty expensive insurance.
why would that be any different than an insurance company paying for any other damage or damage to any other vehicle for that matter, its got to be someones fault! Isnt that why we buy the insurance in the first place?
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

If I use the Eternabond tape, how long will the repair last?
On other posts users are talking about replacing the entire roof rubber. When should the roof be replaced instead of repaired?
Others talk about the insurance covering the replacements and repairs, less the deductible of course. I need to check with my State Farm agent to see what coverage I have.

What warranty does dicor have on the roof rubber and what does it cover?
The repair will last as long as you have a roof. I believe that Dicor warrants the roof for 12 years. I think you'll find that in the papers you received with your unit.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote