Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Montana_6705

M.O.C. #6705
Rear Kitchen Gotchas

I recently purchased a 2006 3000RK Monty and have taken it on three trips. On the first trip, I discovered a potentially serious problem that owners should be aware of, Since I just joined MOC yesterday, and this is only my second post, I would bet that this has been discussed before, but will go ahead a post anyway.

With the rear slider closed for travel, the drawer under the fridge in the back of the unit cannot be seen. When traveling, this drawer can slide out. If you open the slider without visually checking to ensure the drawer is closed, you can destroy the drawer, but it's difficult to put an eye on the drawer without first opening the slider. I looked for some type of fastener to insure the drawer will not open and discovered something used to secure computer components during earthquates. It's a simple strap with two adhesive backed clamps. Installs in less than one minute. I found these at a computer store for about $10. Very cheap insurance.

As backup insurance, I extend the slider just far enough so that I can put an eye on this drawer, AND on the doors to the fridge. Either would be a very large bill to repair if caught by an extending slider.

Montana_6705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Spooner,
Others have mentioned this. Another method for securing is child proof latches. Good thing you noticed before major damage was done.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Spooner, can you share a picture or web site showing this latch?
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum and thanks for this great tip. We have found that it is a wise thing to take a few peeks as we open the slides as drawers, cabinets, and their contents can shift during a bumpy ride. Sounds like you've found a good solution.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I put a child proof catch on mine. Pics are on another puter, but I will fire it up and post them later.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I have a 3295RK and have had the slide room edge catch a drawer when sliding out. I now use bungy cords to lash 2 drawer handles together. Seems to have solved my problem.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 3295RK had three vertically stacked desk drawers that could catch on the slide. A dowel rod through the three handles and touching the carpet did the trick for us.

Thanks for starting this topic. There are probably many out there who are looking for a solution or maybe didn't realize the danger.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Spooner, welcome to our family. We found out the hard way on our old Challenger that we needed to make sure the drawers were closed when we open the slide. We opened up once a long time ago and heard this really nasty CRUNCH. Needless to say we had pretty much ruined a drawer. Now before we open up when we park, we do a visual of each drawer in the kitchen and the entertainment center. Haven't had any problem since. I am thinking about putting on the child proof latches or a dowel rod.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Friends had SOB with a rear kitchen and had problems with drawers and dishes. It seems to be a problem with some and not with others. My question is to the ones with rear kitchens if anyone has a air hitch or pin box. As you can see by my profile that we have a Trailer Saver and the bounce has been eliminated considerably. Has this addition,air hitch or pin box, helped or eliminated the problem of drawers and/or dishes being broken or coming open. We are just wondering about this.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Spooner,

I'd sure like to see a picture of the strap you are talking about. It sounds like it might work pretty good, and installation is faster than the childproof catches.

Here are some pics of the catches I installed, just cheapies from Wally World, ( a couple of bucks for a package of 4 ) but with 2 screws in each slot they are pretty sturdy.

http://i3.tinypic.com/33kub60.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/3yngcvo.jpg

On Edit - hazmic, I don't have the air ride hitch or pin box, but I'm sure they help.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #11
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
hasmic,we have a 3295rk ,put a fifth airborne hitch on ,huge difference,highly recommend it.
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
By the way, this problem is not restricted to the rear kitchen models. Our prior Montana was rear kitchen. This one is mid-kitchen. We still have drawers and cabinet doors with potential to catch in the slide. The cabinets that could be a problem get the handles tied together with velcro straps to keep them from opening. Small ball bungees would work, too. If it has the potential to be a problem, we want to make sure it doesn't happen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Another thing to think about with all cabinets is items inside the cabinet falling against the door. It is important to look at how you have items stacked inside the cabinet. Rolls of toilet paper and paper towels make for good packing of blank spots to keep things from moving. And you never run out of TP that way! For those using the little end table that came with the Monty, watch the drawer in it. We have a boo-boo on our wall because it came open and the slide caught it.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Spooner I have a 3000RK '07. When I bought it, I had the dealer put a latch on th drawer under the frig, just like the latches used to hold up your trash shelf. Thanks to the many people on ths forum, I knew about that problem, as did my dealer, who was all to happy to put in the latch. Welcome to a great forum and a great rv.

bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Spooner I have a 3000RK '07. When I bought it, I had the dealer put a latch on th drawer under the frig, just like the latches used to hold up your trash shelf. Thanks to the many people on ths forum, I knew about that problem, as did my dealer, who was all to happy to put in the latch. Welcome to a great forum and a great rv.

bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #16
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Minkid,thanks for the answer.We have no intentions of getting rid of the 3475,we are quite happy with it. This is something DW and I have discussed and figured that this would be a asset to a rear kitchen 5wh and if we decided to trade later this would be something to look at. Those that have either the air hitch or pin box have said how much smoother the 5wh rides.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote