Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Screws pulling out

Hi All....Starting to notice a problem with some of my cabinets. At the present I have three different cabinets with the screws pulling out. I noticed that the hinge was raising and the screw holes are stripped. Any body had this problem and if so how would you fix it? Would wood glue fix it or cause bigger problems? The unit is new and I hate to pull it to a dealer for a simple fix. Any help would be great...Thanks...Mike

RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
This has come before here, I use glue and flat tooth picks.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I use a piece of soft wood (like pine) or wooden match sticks to fit the hole and a dab of glue in the hole first. Seems to hold up fairly well for me.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I had / have same problem and used the toothpick as a stop gap measure. Someone on MOC used a nut/bolt solution where he had access to the inside of the cabinet, which is what I plan to do before taking off again in May.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15583

Try this link.

Doug
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A common problem due to our skilled old world craftsmen being not so skilled in the use of a torque tool. We had more than 20 loose screws and one cabinet door fell off. Not to worry as we MOC 'ers are skilled in cleaning up after those other guys..We used the matchstick and glue method..works fine.We were told at the Fall Rally that the Montana plant now has torque tools that can NOT be over torqued.Nothing is to good for our skilled craftsmen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The toothpicks and Elmer's glue resolution has worked for years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
A mixture of sawdust and a good glue works very well.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We just got longer screws. No problems yet.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Anybody that uses a power drill knows when you strip out a woodscrew. What bothers me is the fact that the worker just sends the unit down the line with no thought of the consequences.

I know how widespread this problem is but I was fortunate and the only screw I ever had come loose is the big screw into the plastic cabinet of the big TV and that was all the excuse I needed for putting in an LCD so it was a good thing.

I had skilled people putting my unit together and it shows. I am still impressed by the fit and finish in my Montana and I am a very fussy guy. I think mine was built when all the good guys were at work and not off on vacation. I made my deal over the phone subject to my being happy with the quality of workmanship. I was happy and bought the unit. Still Happy.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Our unit was a week old when one of our hinges on the cabinet doors in the kitchen fell off. So far I havent fixed yet. I keep all the pots and pans down there and since my bride isnt here cooking. I havent had to open the door
I guess I will have to fix it before she gets back up here.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I keep a stainless steel wood screw kit in my camper. I put the next diameter size longer screw and this solved the problem. After the first few I went through with a hand powered screwdriver and found couple already stripped and many just loose. Cabinet doors are staying on now!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bluegill

Our unit was a week old when one of our hinges on the cabinet doors in the kitchen fell off. So far I havent fixed yet. I keep all the pots and pans down there and since my bride isnt here cooking. I havent had to open the door
I guess I will have to fix it before she gets back up here.
Welcome back James, where have you been?
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I too have a few screws loose.Some can be fixed ,some maybe not!!.I think most of my cabinet screws that were loose was due to the hinges being stamped too tight,and being installed too close to the door,or door frame,really tight.I removed them, lubed them with some teflon lube, worked them for a while to loosen them,then did the toothpick/glue . So far,none have come loose again. What I am wondering is where replacement wood,vinyl covering can be found when water gets to the composite wood.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The wood glue and wood shavings or tooth pick fix has been used by carpenters many years. My dad was a carpenter, so I saw him do that 50+ years ago. Forty years later when he sold the house, those door hinges were still holding.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:10 AM   #16
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I just put some plummers goop on the screw and stick it back in the hole. Of course if some goop gets on the hinge you may never be able to remove it again-but then who wants to!

I have used goop to seal everything from a leaking propane regulator to leaking water lines. Also used it to mount towel hooks to the shower door and to mount an aluminum channel under the outside refrigerator vent to divert water away from the furnace vent.

If you want to join two pieces of ANYTHING together, use goop, but don't ever expect to take it apart!!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:26 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The stripped screw thing should NOT be occurring any more.We spoke to Ahram at the Goshen Rally and he said the line was being equipped with adjustable preset torque guns that would NOT strip the screws.If that is still occuring we should let them know..as something could be amiss on the line.If we do not let them know about these things they can't take corrective action.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you don't have travel any great distance I would take it bake on warranty. If they pay enough maybe they will improve. The manufacturer of are old unit payed bonuses for production but if you had to many claims from your section you get deductions from your bonus
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote