Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
strong ammonia smell

Today we went into the Monty and found a very strong ammonia smell in the kitchen. I assume the cooling system for the refrigerator has sprung a leek. Anyone else experience this? What kind of time line can I expect for repair/replacement?

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Go look in the back of the refigerator from the outside. I assume you will find some yellow residue. If you do, the colling unit is gone. If you buy new and you have it installed the cooling unit will set you back about $1,400. I bought a new refrigerator which was about $1,800. The warranty on the unit is two years. Mine lasted 3 1/2. good luck.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We had this to happen to our first fifth-wheel, a Prowler Regal. Since it was a used unit (we bought it used) we found a nearby dealer who was able to install a "rebuilt" refrigerator unit. Seems like it cost us around $400. but I could be wrong about that; it's been almost 10 years ago. For sure it was a fraction of the cost of a new refrigerator.

The point is: the ammonia smell clearly indicates a leak in the cooling system, and there is an alternative to complete replacement. We got a 3 year warranty on the rebuilt unit, and it took just a few days for the installation.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The refrigeration unit has sprung a leak and needs to be replaced.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
By now you know that you have a leak and the whole back of the ref. will need to be replaced---that is the Dometic fix. As far as warranty, check to see what yours is. Ours was three years and we have an extended warranty, too. If it isn't under warranty, IMO you're best off getting a new one. When we had ours fixed (leaving out the rest of the BS) Dometic wanted to verify that it was broken, so a trip to the dealer. Took them about three days to get the part and about three hours to install. However, we recently had a hinge break and it took them six weeks to get us a new door.

If you are going to replace your ref., think about just putting in a regular 120 volt one. We had one die while in Mexico and did just that. For about $350 got a 9.9 cuft one that fit with some modification. It holds the cold on our travel days OK. If you boondock, install an inverter. Think that Alpenlite as a option to install a regular ref. and they have no problems. Having a regular ref didn't affect our trade-in.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Yea, I kind of felt that the coolant system had ruptured after smelling the ammonia. Now all I have to do is find a reputable repair shop in south Louisiana
Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I know I’m late responding to this thread but this topic is very near to my heart. In 1993 this happened to me with a 28ft Road Ranger. I was carrying groceries into the trailer when I too smelled a strong ammonia smell. I though some cleaning fluid had spilled. In one motion while inhaling, I opened the fridge door, and bent over to look inside. The next thing I knew I was face down on the floor, my throat was closed and it felt like thousands of needles in my eyes and nose. The break in the system had allowed the refrigerant to leak into the fridge box. To shorten this story I’ll skip to the end. I now have what is called chemically induced asthma. But it could have been fatal, and what happens is you drown in your own fluids. My advice to anyone who smells ammonia in their rig is to get out and call a repair service. At least open the windows and door before you start to investigate where the smell is coming from.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Garin1, Check this thread out...http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18361 maybe your fridge is in this Dometic recall? Looks like mine is and not sure how this will play out as my unit is 2002.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
This is interesting and scary. my fridge went out on the 28th, I didn't find out about the Dometic problem till I read about it on this forum and, luckily, I am running on park power although the fridge is in "AUTO" mode. My 3650 is a 2004 model and I won't get back to it to check the numbers till tomorrow. There is a pool of coolant at the base of the unit next to the gas pilot.