Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
Fireplace Mantel

Just wondering if this is a concern. When using the fireplace, the underneath of the mantle gets very hot. Thought of putting a refective material there. What is everybody's thought on this?

Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I did ceramic tile over wood on my fireplace and the tile never gets beyond warm to the touch.

My Dimplex Electric fireplace has it's own metal shield at the top.

If your wood ever gets too hot to touch, I would be concerned.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I have watched this very carefully, we just came back from a little trip Missouri, Arkansas, Tenn and Mississippi. It got very cool in a few of the state parks up in the hills of Arkansas. We tried the electric fireplace. used it all the time, your right about the mantel getting extremely hot, but never to hot to touch. The first few nights I was concerned and got up several time's to check.. All ok. We used it all night long... Our furnace never kicked on and we were very comfortable. This Monday I believe I will call Dimplex and ask them about OUR concerns and I will relay their comments on this thread.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Have been using my fireplace over the past 3 summers. To date I have not had any issues with the mantle getting hot, or any other issues from the heat of the fireplace. I do leave the metal grate down while I have the heater on as that baby gets really hot to the touch.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We don't have any problems with ours and I have candles sitting on the mantel. Warm, yes, but not so hot that I would be worried.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
When we first started using ours, I noticed the underside of the mantel got very hot when the louvered grate was left down. When it is up, the louvers seem to direct the heat out and down away from the mantel, leaving the mantel much cooler.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We've seen the same thing with the louvres. We also keep the ceiling fan going to circulate the warm air in the room and it seems to help move the heat away from the mantel.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Dimplex Customer Service just returned my call The Ladies name was Cheryl. She advised that the mantel should be safe, when the fireplace is in operation. HOWEVER OK HOWEVER she said this fireplace is not by any means to be used as the MAIN HEAT SOURCE. She said it would be unsafe NEVER leave on over night while sleeping. She said to leave the fireplace on no longer than 3 hours at a time and then let it cool. She was very concerned that some folk's were using this as a main heat source. ( I am going to post this in the General Topic also as many more read that. Don't want anyone burtned or hurt. Safe Travels John
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
John,

I got the same message when I told them about the burned connector block inside the unit.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
John, thanks for the heads-up. I think this is really outrageous. What did they think people were going to use these things for? This spring we used ours almost 24/7. We didn't have any problems, but it is scary to think we may have unwittingly put ourselves in danger.

I hope your post gets through to everyone using these things. If the fireplaces are unsafe, the company needs to recall them, or at the very least warn people who have purchased them. Some personal injury lawyer will have a field day with this one.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Bob - I too was shocked when the Lady told me how to use the fireplace, From what she indicated to me, most of us have been very lucky SO FAR.. I do believe that there should be more information provided in the owners manuel. I wasn't all that concerned until I talked to the Lady, She was addiment about it's use. I hate to think that these issues were omitted from the owners manuel, as in my case it was used by the salesman as being a safe alternative to the LP furnace and a cost saving device for us as owners, by using CG electricity. Anyway I just hope this information make's everyone a little more aware and everyone is a little more careful. John
Old 10-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I think Dimplex is just doing a standard CYA reply. I think the real message is an electric fireplace is made to supplement your main heat supply and not a high enough quality to run 24/7 for very long. I think they are more worried about the cheap little motors turning the tinsel shaft to create the flame effects than they are the main elements.

I personnally would never leave any little electric heater unattended.

I bought the Dimplex electrc fireplace insert for my 2955RL and built it in myself. Nowhere in the manual did I read that 3 hours was the maximum I could run it. I will read the manual over again tonight to make sure I did not miss anything but how can an appliance maker limit the number of hours you use something?
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
For those concerned about the fireplace mantle getting too hot, it takes about 500-550 degrees F. for auto ignition of wood. My opinion is that the mantle does not come anywhere near these temperatures if the fireplace is used properly.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have not read anywhere either about the 3 hour runtime...Thanks for the info on this!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote