Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
tacodave
Established Member

M.O.C. #1366
Black tank split

I've not had much luck using the search for this subject but wondered if any of you have had black tank failures? My 2000 3555RL has a broken tank but only when over 3/4 full. My dealer confirmed the break and says even my extended warranty will not cover it's replacement. I contacted Keystone and talked to Denny then Brandon Tom who told me it would my responsibility to pay for repairs. This seems strange since I have had both sides replaced due to delamination ...the last one just last winter '05 . I was pleased with this repair and assumed that since I have done nothing to cause a tank failure since we have never even come close to filling this tank except when I filled it with a hose down the toilet to completely clean and flush it out in the past month and that's when I saw the water gushing out from the underbelly. This sure seems like a defective tank and who knows how long it has been cracked since we never let it get full. Sure am disappointed with Keystone even though my unit is 6 years old. The replacement of the sides in '04 and the other in '05 had led me to believe that they would stand behind any design errors or flawed parts. Any suggestion from those who have had this problem????

tacodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had a similar problem and repaired it with a epoxy that you can purchase at Wal*Mart. I used the type that will adhere to wet surfaces. Be sure to rough up the tank surfaces with a wire wheel before applying the epoxy. I have taken my Montana from California to Oregon and back and a couple of other trips since the repair and it is still holding.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Had the same problem with the black tank, after sending thme pictures of the problem, they will give me a new tnak but I have to pay for the labor to have it replaced.
I didn't find the problem til after the 1 year warrenty was over.
Is the leak from the tank or from around the fitting that is glued into the tank where the pipe come out?
If it is leaking around the pipe it coould be the fitting coming out of the tank
They do make a plactic two part expoxy that worked well to repair my tank til I can get it changed out.
What I would recommend is first repair with the two part expoxy for plastic then after 24 hours, rough up the area again then fiberglass the area, that should take care of your problem
Good Luck
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
tacodave
Established Member

M.O.C. #1366
Thanks for the advise. I actually haven't seen the crack yet but my dealer said it is near the top next to some bracing. I plan on picking it up from the dealer Sat. and attempting the repair myself if I can get to it. We may consider trading it in on a new 3400.
tacodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
I had a similar problem with my grey tank. It developed a leak from a defect in the tank. The tank should not have been installed in the first place. I have an 03 3295 Big Sky and it was out of warranty but thought it should have been fixed at their expense since the tank was defective when installed. Keystone said the best that they could do was to give me a new tank but I would have to have it installed at my expense and that I would have to come up to the factory and pick it up ( 150 miles ), so that it what I did. However, after I got the tank I found a body shop that repaired it, do I still have the new tank in case the repair fails.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Doug, What's the name of that epoxy you got at Walmart? We have a leak in the gray tank and Virgil would like to see if he can fix it himself before having it done. Thanks Karen
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I had a similar problem and repaired it with a epoxy that you can purchase at Wal*Mart. I used the type that will adhere to wet surfaces. Be sure to rough up the tank surfaces with a wire wheel before applying the epoxy. I have taken my Montana from California to Oregon and back and a couple of other trips since the repair and it is still holding.
Doug,
Please post the name of the epoxy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
get the liquid two part expoxy that are in one tube with a plunger for each part.
It is developed for plastic and sets in 7 minutes, you can find it in most hardware stores.
The thing to remember is to rouigh up the area first as it will work better.
Don't try the expoxy that is in a tube and you roll the two part together between your finger, it does not work well.
Also at camperworld there are patches that are alunumum or white and about 6 x 6 inches and stick to about anything, you may want to expoxy then patch or fiberglass
Good Luck!!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our gray tank was leaking. But it would only leak when it got about three quarters full. This made me think the split had to be up high on the tank. But as it turned out the leak was by the area where the pipe comes out of the tank. And the reason it would leak when nearly full was because of the water pressure. Once the water level was high enough in the tank it would build up enough pressure to open up the split.

Went down to our local RV dealer expecting to find some sort of "leak kit". What we found was a Radiator fix kit! It has the two different epoxy materials plus a 6x6 patch of fiberglass material. First time we did not use the fiberglass. That was a mistake! You NEED the fiberglass. It worked fine once we followed the instructions. That was about a year ago. No problems since. Also clean and sand the area as necessary to get a good seal. Sure saved a lot of money. Dealer wanted about $500 to $800! Our total cost for two kits was about $30.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Virgil worked on the gray tank yesterday. He found it leaked where the pipe came into the tank at the bottom - when the tank sagged with a certain amount of water it would pull away from the caulking around the pipe. He used a fiberglass repair kit with 2 part epoxy and fiberglass patching material. He roughed up the area he applied it to and took it all around the pipe where it joins the tank. It will be a while before we can test the repair, but hopefully the leak is gone.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
I hope Keystone is listening -- our tanks should not leak...at any time. With a number of tanks leaking where pipes are coming in or going out -- or leaking because the tank sags due to weight load....GRRRRR.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
This is where my tank was leaking also.
I agree the more liquid in the tank the more flex in the tank and it starts to leak around the fitting that put into the tank.
Yes they need to look quality control from the tank company about the problem.
But what they are going to say the problems at a low percentage of the total about of tanks we put in.
Well, when you have the leak in the black tank and end up with 15 gallons for sewer water coming out on you, I don't care if it a small percentage, it was still a real S_____y situation for me.

The other thought.
How do you know that you have a leak in the tank??
If you have a well installed ARTIC Package.
The belly area is well sealed.
You may not see the problem.
It may sit in the belly and whn you travle it may drip out.
SO THEREFORE,
If you are covered under warrenty and see and sign of a water drip from under the coach, get it checked!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Our galley tank was cracked under the drain pipe. I tried the liquid with the fiberglass cloth and while it may work fine on the top but now so well upside down as I was. What a mess, I was picking epoxy off myself for a week. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a "CarGo" Quicksteel Plastic Tank Repair Kit. This has a 2 part epoxy stick, sandpaper, degreaser, and screen for large holes. Since this is puttylike there was no mess and so far it is holding good but I have my fingers crossed. If you are repairing a crack it helps to drill a small hole on each end to keep it from spreading.
Eternabond makes a reinforced tape that they claim will repair cracked tanks. If it works an well as regular Eternabond this might be a good way to repair a leaky tank.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote