Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 AM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
While on the subject of batteries, My unit came with both batteries in their owned sealed box connected to each other with a vent hose and then another hose vented to the outside.
The dealer did a real neat job and I hope that is the way they all come.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #22
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Dave, Information above is correct if you indeed on doing some long term boon-docking then go with 2, 6-volt batteries in series. The best would be Trojan T110, gives you higher KWH and Amps in the long run. If someone is buying T105 for $65.00 or so then they are getting them below wholesale market price. I retail them for $93.00 each on T105's 115.00 on T110's.
Dave RC or reserve capacity is what should be left in the battery after proper discharge. The thing we are forgetting is that the Monty's we all own the chargers in them are not designed to bring a fully discharges battery back to life, believe it or not they are just a maintenance charger in the converter. They will only but out a few amps per hour back into the batteries. i would recommend a good battery charger to haul around with you, and once per month or two fully recharge them with good 10-12 amp charger. Now if some one has upgraded there converter some out there do put out better amps back into the batteries, like a 1800 watt converter or something to that affect. I noticed on my converter when I was installing my VoltasgeBooster that there was a plug phone cord type or Cat 5 type plug on it for rapid charger install. I assume that there is an add on charger that plugs into the converter to charger the battery better, or at least at a better charge rate.
If I were going top a 6-volt battery I would definitely go with the Trojans, they make the beast. i sale all kinds in my industrial battery business, Exide, Trojan, US battery you name it I can get it, but the Trojans out last them all. Optima is great as well but hold onto your wallet the are expensive. they are probably the best sealed battery out there but the are expensive.
i use what was in the Monty form new, we don't boondock any at all, it serves us good with what battery power it has and we need till we hook up to AC power.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rodney - Great info, I will copy and file.

Don - I had heard that batteries are strictly a dealer "gratuity", along with sewer hoses, etc. Montana does not come with these items and it all depends on your dealer as to what they want to throw in on the deal. If you got that setup, that is great! If what I've heard is true about dealer prep.

Now, I could be wrong on this, as I wonder how contract haulers pull these to dealerships w/o batteries? Maybe that can be done... I don't know.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 AM   #24
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Hauler use the pig tail off the Monty that is for lights etc. You should have a plug on it for 12-volt power all the time. Your truck should have 30amp fuse just for this purpose to supply power to this plug. You may need to check your new truck out on Chevy I believe you have to add this to the fuse block on outside under the hood, since it does not come from factory pre installed. may want to check that out I may not be correct on from the factory installed, but I had to install it on my 1999 Silerado we had. Since you bought a used truck it may already be installed by previous owner. Anyway the pigtail will supply power to all the slides, it will also trow a charge into you battery while pulling down the road from the alternator.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The previoius owner has a gooseneck installed and used it to pull a trailer. I would think I should be OK, but will check for thaty 30 amp fuse. Thanks!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
We do not dry camp, but there has been a time or two when we've been out used the battery (it is a cheap one that came with the trailer) for a day and it drains fast,once we start driving again it charges.

Would a AGM battery be better?
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have always used two good 12's in parallel for the increased amps..we do not boon dock, the camper is , except for traveling, hooked to power so the batteries are charged and we have a generator. You kinda have to look at what you are goingto use the batteries for before you spend more $ than you have to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:56 AM   #28
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
AGM's are not designed for this type application.