Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
lcruzen

M.O.C. #3835
Slide Solenoid Failure

As with the problem mikeandbarb had I have had several times. In fact once a year I can count on either the out or in solenoid failing. We have an 01 Monanta 5er. Any idea what is causing this problem? We also have a crack in the outer skin fiberglass by the bedroom slide at the front lower corner and the upper rear corner. I understand from reading this forum that this is a common problem and I'd like to get this repaired. How do I proceed?

Thanx,

Lou

lcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Lou,

Welcome to the forum.

Since you have an 01 you probably have the older Dewald slide system like mine. Check in your battery compartment to make sure the pump motor is Dewald. If so do the following:

Go to

http://powergearus.com/

In the upper right click on "Manuals"
On the next search screen type Dewald in the search Box

You will see 5 different manuals associated with the Dewald system so go ahead and download the pdf files. The manuals might be able to help you.

Sounds like a switch or relay problem. You should be able to get them from Power Gear.
--------------------------

If your slide system is a Lippert system then your best bet is to contact MIMF or MIMF2 who can help you with these systems.

Good Luck
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
MikeandBarb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2332
Welcome Lou!

We also have the cracks - same area that you mentioned. May be wrong, but thought it was mainly a cosmetic problem so never got them repaired. Would be interested to hear from others to be sure though!

We followed Tom's advice about downloading the manuals if indeed you have a Dewald pump - the manuals help alot especially the troubleshooting sections. It has to be aggravating to have the solenoids go bad so often. I'll be anxious to hear what you find out!
Good luck - Mike
MikeandBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
lcruzen

M.O.C. #3835
Thanx guys for the info. I've downloaded the manuals but haven't had a chance to look them over yet. I'll do that soon and see what I find. I definitly have the Dewald pump. It is extremely aggrevating to be replacing these solenoids so often not to mention expensive.

Does anyone from Montana or Keystone monitor these boards like a customer service rep? I'd like some info on getting the skin cracks repaired. Is this a DIY project or a dealer repair?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sometimes these cracks in the corner of the windows indicate problems with your frame so I would be sure to check it out. Maybe do a search on frame problems here on the forum and see if any of it relates to your situation.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
MikeandBarb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2332
Lou,

I believe the cracks were considered a factory defect and to contact Keystone and they would take care of the work through a dealer. At the time it seemed like it was a fairly common problem with Montana owners. Its been quite awhile but think it was a rather simple job to take care of the problem. I took pictures of the crack with a ruler to send to Keystone but never did get around to it. Hope I won't be sorry! Since you wrote about it I checked to see if the cracks have grown - but they haven't - its been over a year now.

I'm anxious to hear if you solve the solenoid problem too - I could have the same problem down the road. You wouldn't mind paying for the solenoids if the slides would work but you're right - gets expensive. Again, good luck! Mike
Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
As far as repeated failure of the solenoids go you might check the wiring to the solenoids of maybe a rubbed wire on the frame or something like that. Check where the wires go through the frame.

You can probably check the solenoids out of the monty by running a power supply to them and check for proper operation. It does not make sense that you should have repeated failures unless you are are using the wrong solenoids. Try the manuals out and order parts from Power Gear. Check the switch with an ohmmeter to make sure it is not resistive.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Never had a sloenoid problem so can't be of much help.

However for the cracking at the slide corners I would contact Keystone Customer Service BY PHONE (NOT EMAIL)..

Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and
Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Indiana (Eastern) time.
(574) 534-9430 (Local)
(866) 425-4369 (Toll Free)

There have been like situations where Keystone has made the repairs Free of charge even though the rig was long out of warranty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
MikeandBarb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2332
Glenn and Lorraine -

Thanks for the info and phone numbers for Keystone! One person asks questions and this forum ends up helping many others - sure appreciate it! Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
lcruzen

M.O.C. #3835
Thanx for all the info folks! I'll do some reading this weekend on the solenoids and see what I can do about the skin cracks. I'll report back on what happens.

Happy Camping!