Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Biltmore Estate

In Gatlinberg, we are only 90-100 miles from Biltmore so we spent the day there on Thursday. It was well worth the trip as the drive over the mountains towards Asheville was also beautiful. The spring flowering trees are out as well as the new growth on deciduous trees.

In the gardens around Biltmore, he tulips and pansies were in full bloom. In a few weeks, the azaleas and roses will take over.

The mansion itself is awesome. We recommend that you take the self guided tour and use the audio guides that are available for $7.00. They use a headphone and small portable radio-type setup. You punch in the code and it gives you 1-4 recordings for each room. We could have shared one, in retrospect. Even the guided tours didn't give as much info, based on the speed that they moved through the mansion.

It was an enjoyable day and a trip that we would recommend. April is the Festival of Flowers months and the tickets double in price.($38) There were flowers outside as well as in the mansion itself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/vhyvxx.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vhywpj.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vhyykn.jpg

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Judy, I have to agree with you about the Biltmore. It's quite an experience. We used to have a mountain vacation home not far from Asheville. That was back when we had some spare time (before we got into RVing).
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Judy,

I have always wanted to see that place. I am a home improvement, Lowes and Home Depot junkie. I've seen it on TV and it looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing the photos they are stunning. You always take just great photographs. Wish I had your talent.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you, Patty. It's easy to get good pictures at a place like that. We couldn't take any photos inside the mansion itself. Hope you get a change to go there some day.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great photos Judy, Biltmore is on our list of places to do.

I LOVE that ride from Pigeon Forge over to Ashville, breathtaking beautiful views!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, if you think the interstate view is beautiful, park your rig and check out the side roads around Gatlinburg or anywhere in this southeast/eastern area of Tennessee. It is unbelieveable. Just be prepared to test your driving ability. We took a side road off the parkway into Gatlinburg and found ourselves on more switchbacks and high altitude than we expected in just a short distance. And people have built new cabins up there! If you're here in April, you have the benefit of color from the beautiful trees that are in bloom. Don't miss it! It's a wonderful place to explore.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Been there Judy, spent many happy hours driving around, even owned property in Wears Valley for a number of years. The property was less than 5 miles from an entrance to the Great Smokies National Park. I want to "do" the area sometime when the rhododendron (how DO you spell that??) are in bloom in the Great Smokies, they say usually June/July time frame. Yep, entire area is one of our favorites.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As you know, Judy, we spent almost two months there and we recently commented that is an area we want to repeat. We really enjoyed the beauty of the scenic drives and the hikes and all the waterfalls, the wildlife, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Was there parking for the rig at Biltmore? What is the road like from Tennesse down to Biltmore? We will traveling the Jamestown, VA and are considering a side trip to Biltmore.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There is a separate area for parking with RVs and a trolley that you can take to the mansion itself. Some of the roads are narrow but there are tour buses all over the place so you should be able to fit just about anywhere. It's a wonderful site to see. There are some pictures on our photo site at MSN spaces if you click on the link below. Enjoy the trip.