Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
San Diego Area

We left Yuma this morning and arrived in the San Diego Area this afternoon. We are staying at the Bernardo Shores RV Resort for the next month. It is almost on the beach at Imperial Beach. Our site number is 55. I know we will love it here after so many months in the desert. The Water is beautiful. The weather is too. If anyone is in the area, we would love to hear from you.

Bill and Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Did we tell you that's where we stayed our first year of full-timing? It's a nice bike ride to the beach from that park. There are some really nice amenities in that park.

That's also my old stompin' grounds ... IB (Imperial Beach), Coronado and Chula Vista (my hometown). It's changed A LOT since I lived there, but the beach is still there and the weather is absolutely fabulous. Did I remember to put Old Town San Diego and the Mission San Diego de Alcala on the list I emailed to you? Don't forget to email me if you run out of things to do.

If you want a great hamburger, try the Boll Weevil. There's one in a strip mall with a Von's (grocery store) on the north side of Palm Avenue (that's the main drag through IB). From the traffic light at your park entrance, turn left, stay on Palm Ave to Saturn Blvd (last light before the I5 entrance)... less than 3 miles from your park. Turn left, then right into the parking area. Boll Weevil is at the east end of the shopping/parking area.

Steve says that Boll Weevil burgers are up there in the Top 3 of the best hamburgers he's ever had!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Vicki,

We can't wait to start seeing all the things you have told us about.

Helen
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Bill-n-Helen,
Not sure what Vicki sent yu as a list for things to do or see; but from reading your post, I see you'll be in the County for about a month. This may be a "hike"; but the Indio Date Festival kicks off this weekend and runs through next weekend. Its quite interesting and if you like dates, this festival has plenty of them...!Indio from IB is about 150 miles or so---its out by Palm Springs. Assuming our weather will hold, it should be very pleasant temperature-wise. here is the URL for the festival: http://www.datefest.org/default.aspx
Pick up a copy of the Union-Tribune on Thursday I think, and it has a section called "Weekend" and it lists all of the activities around the County from plays, movies, restaurant highlights, craft shows, and many other catagories. In the on-line daily section under "entertainemnt", there is a week of events listed by day. Here is the link: http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/
Have fun---only if this drizzle would stop....!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Bill-n-Helen,
I forgot to add this. If you are planning to visit downtown San Diego, like Horton Plaza, the Gaslamp District, Seaport Village, I would suggest taking the trolley. I'm not exactally sure where the nearest station is to your park, but I would assume the park folks could tell you. Most if not all of the larger trolley stops have park-n-rides where you can park your truck then take the trolley to where you want to go. Parking downtown is a pain and pretty darn expensive. The trolleys run from the Border to downtown and an interconnecting line to East County (El Cajon). There are stops adjacent to some of the larger malls in Mission Valley and actually, I think there is a stop at Mission San Diego Alcala---the first mission built in California and the start of what is known as El Camino Real---the road to the Missions of California. here is the URL for the stations: http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...eyStations.asp
Here is a map URL of the trolley routes: http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...trolleymap.asp
and of course, the fare schedule: http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...ares/index.asp
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Thomas, I have printed out all of your suggestions. Looks great. The date festival sure looks like fun but one that we will have to skip. We do not like to travel more than 100 miles from our camp site and we will be going to the Palm Springs area a little later in our journey. Too bad because that is one of the things that we really like. Now if someone can tell me when the swallows come back to Capistrano we would be thrilled. We just missed it a few years back but we can't remember the dates.

Helen
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Looks like March 18-19 is the Return of the Swallows festival. Here is the Mission's site on the topic.
http://www.missionsjc.com/swallowsfest.html
Old 02-15-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
For one of the best Deli's in san Diego, D.Z. Akin's is just plain great. The "Ted Leitner Special" sandwich is superb. The place is located off Alverado Blvd. near the san Diego State University Campus---about 15 miles from IB on I-8. Here is their website along with the price list.
http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/menu/lunchanddinner.htm
Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh, I can hardly wait to try the deli. My sister is coming down and loves good deli too so we might wait for her. Then again, we might try it first and go again with her. Thanks for the info on the swallow festival.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The trolley stop for that park is just past I-5. I, too, think the trolley is a great way to get around. Bill and Helen, if I recall the trolley runs to or near Old Town as well as to the downtown sites. You can park at the trolley station.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Steve. We found that out. They also leave from Coronado and our next trip will start there instead of taking the ferry across. We have become addicted to Coronado.

We had planned on trying one of your favorite hamburgers tonight but we are still full from our lunch so will try it this weekend. Can't wait.

Helen
Old 02-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
Montana_3380
Established Member

M.O.C. #3380
Have you tried boondocking on The Silver Strand beach? It's beautiful but a tad pricey. You do need a reservation with Calif. Parks. We left there Feb. 4.
Montana_3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks. We stopped at the Park the other day. It is a beautiful place but it actually cost more than our full hook up park that we are at for the month. We do plan on doing some boon docking on our way up the coast at the State Parks. There are a few Monty's there right now.

Helen
Old 02-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Steve and Vicki, I have put some pictures our blog that should bring back lots of memories for you two. What a nice day yesterday. We are getting ready for more today.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #15
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I know you were just up in this area....this is one of our favorite spots just to relax:
Located 20 minutes north of San Diego in Encinitas, California, Quail Botanical Gardens features over 35 acres of exhibits, including rare bamboo groves, desert gardens, a tropical rainforest, California native plants, Mediterranean climate landscapes, the Undersea Succulent Garden, Landscaping for Fire Safety and a subtropical fruit garden. In April of 2003, Quail introduced the West Coast's first interactive children's garden, the Seeds of Wonder.

230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas CA | (760) 436-3036 | Fax: (760) 632-0917 | e-mail: info@qbgardens.org
http://www.qbgardens.com/

Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh good. That looks like another place that we would love to see. After spending all of yesterday walking around the zoo though, it will be awhile before our weary bones will be ready for another long hike. We might have to wait until at least tomorrow. )Thanks again Thomas,
Helen
Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #17
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Great pictures at the Zoo! Are the flamingos still right near the entrance? And the Bird of Paradise remind me of my mother ... she loved those flowers and planted lots of them in our yard. Thanks for sharing!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great pictures! Isn't that a terrific zoo?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote