Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Durango, Colorado

We will be at the Blue Spruce RV Park at Vallecito Lake, Colorado. Just north of Durango. We will be there from August 28 thru September 9, site #87 if anybody is around there. Stop by. Terry and Barb

t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Terry and Barb
I'm envious! Are you going to take the train ride? Let us know about the area and what you do.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
We plan on taking a bus ride up to silverton and then taking the train back to durango. The train ride is about 3 to 3 1/2 hours long and we were told that a one way ride back would be plenty to see the scenery. Should have some pretty pictures. I am not sure that i am looking forward to pulling thru the mountains. Somthing about driving alongside the edge of the road without a gaurd rail and seeing it drop straight down. I am sure that barb will be putting fingernail marks on whatever she is holding on to.
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Terry and Barb,

We stayed at Vallecito Lake last Summer for a few days. I can't remember the name of the RV Park, but it surely could be the one where you are staying. It was "way in", near the trailhead for the Wemenuche Wilderness. In our backpacking days we have both entered and exited the wilderness into and from that trailhead. One time we entered on the Creede side of the Wilderness and came out into that trailhead on the Durango side. That required a vehicle on both sides and a long day's drive around when we got out to retreive the vehicle we left back at the Rio Grande, 30 miles out from Creede.

We have also taken the train to Silverton. Once we got off midway (at Needle Creek) and hiked into the Wilderness up to Chicago Basin then over Columbine Pass and, again, out at the Vallecito trailhead.

I do think you are wise to take the train only one way. You probably have good reason to go the way you have indicated, but, if possible, my preference would be to take the train UP to Silverton and the bus back to Durango. Though, I must admit, I have never taken the bus either way.

One thing I have not done is to pull a trailer over the 'million dollar highway' between Durango and Ouray, though I have been over it in an automobile many, many times. Ouray is one of our favorite places to visit in Colorado. Our stays there have been in B&Bs, not in campgrounds.

We were just through Durango last month, but we just passed on by. We were on the way home with stops at Yellowstone, Zion, North Rim Grand Canyon, and Mesa Verde. We just didn't have time to stop at one of our favorite places in Colorado: Durango. So have a great time! And let us know more about your enjoyment there.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote