Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Fort Wilderness Disney World

Has anyone stayed here before? I would like any info!

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Haven't stayed there but last year we did rent a golf cart and took a very lengthy tour. From what I saw for camp sites and amenities I would not hesitate staying there. As long as you're in the WDW complex, you can use Disney's free transportation and never have to move your TV.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Hi Dave and Emily, We stayed there for five days in 2003. The sites were nice. We were in the pet section. As nice as the sites were we didn't use them much. We made crockpot meals so if anyone got hungry they could come back and eat. We never used our truck the hole time we were there.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #4
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We camped at Fort Wilderness for a week last October and found it typical Disney, very well done, but very expensive camping. The sites are wooded, private, and the comfort stations are beautiful. Besides the bus lines for transportation you can go down to the dock and take the boat (free) directly to the Magic Kingdom. You are also eligible for early entry into a park each day as a guest of Disney World, just like you were staying in one of their hotels. We used a backpack each day and carried our lunches & snacks, along with camera,sunscreen, and the rest saving us the costs of restaurants and the lines involved with eating.We did more of WDW than anyone I know on a much smaller budget.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We stay there 3 to 4 times a year and have since they opened the place. We love it. Most times we don’t even go to the main attractions. We just stay in the camp ground. They have a nice Wild West dinner show in the evening ($$). The pool is heated and is open 24/7 which is great about 2 in the morning when everyone else is in bed. They rent golf carts which you need to rent early or forget it, they will all be rented out. They have a nightly movie with a big camp fire. The Disney characters (Mickey and Minnie etc) come through the camp area nightly and some of them (Goofy, Donald Duck etc) several times a day. Recently, Disney renovated the camp area making most if not all the sites larger to better accommodate the bigger rigs and rigs with slide outs. Bus service to downtown Disney and other areas run until 11:00ish depending week day or weekend. The campground is very pet friendly and even has a pet kennel for day time pet care. There are horse stables, and down the road a golf course for those that golf. The last 3 times we have been there we never even went to the main parks. It’s a very safe feeling place and the kids love it. As far as being pricey, I have paid more at several big RV Resorts and down in the Florida Keys than I have paid at Fort Wilderness.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Stayed there for 10 nights earlier this year and found all the positive comments above to be true. Would like to add though that some of the loops are very tight and it is possible to get a large 5er through them only with care and caution. It was also very tight backing our Montana into our assigned site. But once we were setup, we relaxed and became VERY HAPPY campers!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I love Ft Wilderness. I think it's one of the best ways to "do" Disney. Of course I have never been during peak season and get the FL resident discount, so it's no as expensive for me. Like others have said there is a lot to at the campground. The camp stores are expensive but that's Disney. The restaurant has morning, noon, and night all you can eat buffets, but they also have a to go menu of snacks that can be enjoyed in the rockers on the big covered porch out front, while watching the Disney-ites go by.

The Cast Members also do an excellent job of taking care of you during a hurricane.

If you are thinking of going to disney hop over to disboards.com. It's THE all things disney forum. There is a discussion topic on Ft Wilderness
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #8
TheDawsons

M.O.C. #1334
Greetings,

My wife and I just got back from 10 nights there (2/14-2/24). We have a Mountaineer 335RLBS with the 2 slides and awning. It was tight backing into our site (1428) and once in they had to come and trim the trees to let us get our awning out all the way, but it is the BEST campground we've been to, ever. I camped there when it opened in 1972 with a conversion van and our family has been there every couple of years since then with a tent, popup, and finally travel trailers.

The sites are starting to show they were designed for smaller units without slides and talking to some of the people who work there they agree Disney is going to have to do something to make the sites bigger. Maybe will the areas that had a lot of trees knocked down in the hurricane they can build new loops for the bigger rigs.

Feel free to contact me about any other questions you have. I will add a recommendation about the golf carts.......reserve now especially for the summer months!

BTW the camping charge was $41 per night which was less than the $47 per night the KOA in Ocala FL just up the road wanted.

Steve and Patty Dawson
TheDawsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Off season rates aren't too bad $40 - $60.00 but they're quite high during the peak season. They add $$ any chance they can get, such as for pets. It's a nice campground and really great if you're doing the Disney thing. We parked our car and never drove again until it was time to go home. We, too, saw some people struggling into sites. We got in our site okay, but barely had room to walk around it. I would suggest calling the central reservation office and discuss sites with someone before making a reservation. That said, they are hesitant to assign sites until just before your scheduled to arrive.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:13 AM   #10
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Yes, FW sites can be tight. When you make your reservation they do ask you your length but that still does mean they won't assign you a site where you be standing around scratching your head saying, "I don't know, don't think it's going to happen". (Ask me how I know)

At that point you just walk over to the comfort station, pick up the phone and call the office. Politely tell them your concerns and they will find you another site. If you have taken a walk around and found a better one, they will just tell you to take it.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
This is great, the wife and I leave on Tuesday for Bey West ( Boyds) for 5 days, then un to FW at Disney for a week, I cant wait. Glad to hear all the good things about Disney.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Hate to be the sole naysayer but we had a terrible experience there last month. We arrived at 1:10 p.m. Advertised check in was at 1:00. The rather abrupt girl at the booth gave us a card and told us to go to the 'overflow' parking area and to call the number on the card to see when our site would be ready. We called for an hour straight without a single human answering the line. At 3:00 we went back and a different person in the booth said, "Oh, a lot of people are having that problem lately." Not what we wanted to hear. We got sent to the site we had reserved a half-year earlier only to find a rig there. Flagging down an employee in a golf cart we were sent to a new site. We have the 3400 RL and as I came around a very tight circle, I attempted to avoid parked cars and other stuff and by the grace of God I glanced in the mirror and slammed on the brakes. I was an inch or two from smashing the top of our rig into a bent tree. The next day, I pointed out to my wife that the tree had numerous marks from previous collisions. Finally getting to our space, we jockied back and forth in small increments and managed to get the rig in, much to my dismay. We weren't set up until 4:30. Having bought park passes for the first day and later, we lost out. The cable tv gave us about 3-4 staticky channels and the site was basically a small slab of cement. Disney is Disney of course, and I have no disagreements about the park's quality and scenery but we agree we would never go back again based on this experience. Again, I don't mean to dishearten anyone who is going. But if you have a big rig, take it very slowly. These sites were built in the sixties or seventies I think, when big rigs were 29 feet or so.

This is great, the wife and I leave on Tuesday for Bey West ( Boyds) for 5 days, then un to FW at Disney for a week, I cant wait. Glad to hear all the good things about Disney.
[/quote]
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well it's been a few years since we have been, and we did have a smaller rig then....with no slides....so I can't say I would have noticed it. we would now of cource.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I am at FW ow, and this place is great. Definatly tight for the big rigs and the slides, though, will need to use the Slider for those of you like me with the SWB truck, other than that, and excellent place to camp.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote