Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Hurricane Dolly and damage

I will try to post on this thread about the damage that we see. Once we get real busy I might not be posting on a daily basis.

Bob is working for the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, which writes most of the windstorm coverages of the first tier counties on the Texas coast. I think they write about 17,000 policies in the Rio Grande Valley area, which is two or three counties. So we might be all over the area adjusting losses every where.

We left the house about 10:30 this morning as we were supposed to be at a meeting on Friday morning in San Benito. We called the Fun and Sun RV park and they said that they were open, but would be closed on Thursday, but would be open on Friday. We decided to head out and make the second day a short trip with less than 100 miles drive time. Well, we are in Kingsville, Texas, with this being as close as we can get with power for the RV.

The RV park that we are in is open, but the owner left the park to be with family some where in the valley. She told me to just write a check and put it in the envelope. Tons of palm fronds on the ground as well as the bark every where. Water every where, but it doesn't look like the mobile homes here in the park were damaged. I think I saw on the news that this area got 5.61 inches last night.

When we were traveling through San Antonio there was a tornado on the ground on the west side of 1604. Thank goodness we were on the east side and just had to deal with the rain. Lots and lots of heavy rain and heavy winds. Have no clue as to what our gas mileage was going against the winds, but we had filled up and we are less than half a tank, so maybe 7 miles a gallon because of the wind.

Lots of Red Cross/Walmart trucks passing us at top speed. We talked about all of the trucks that were passing us and what might be in them, and if they were headed for Harlingen etc.

When we were filling up with diesel two trucks pulled up next to us to fill up too. The were pulling huge generators to Mc Allen and to Weslaco. Not sure what they will power, but power is out every where.

I called one RV park and the guy asked me if we were 30 or 50 amp? I told him that we could get by with 30 amp, but if he had 50 that would be better. He then told me that he would park us on the road, I am guessing that to much rain and we would sink. I said fine we had several cords to reach the power pole. He then tells me "Oh we don't have any electricty."....... now why would he need to know if we needed 30 or 50 amps?????

Will report again when we move closer.

Still would love to know if anyone has stayed at Fun N Sun. Everything is water logged here.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good report, good to hear from you. We are with you in spirit.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
According to a neighbour that we called McAllen has power. Our park received a bit of damage. Lost our front awning (at least half of it) over the window on the Park Model we bought last winter. Lots of leaves and limbs on the ground. Across the road from us their patio door flew out and they had to board up the opening. There is lots of water laying on the golf course.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We made it to Harlingen and are staying at Fig Tree RV Resort. They are one of the few that has power right now. Lots of damage done to things around here and lots of water every where. They won't even let you go to Padre Island unless you have proof that you live there, or have business working on something. That means we will have to get passes to get on the island.

They are shutting down US 83 from Donna to Weslaco to restring power lines. Gas stations are without gas and diesel. We had to go to three different ones to find diesel. HEB is up and running and very busy. They were cleaning out all of the frozen food coolers when we went to get water today.

For the most part people are taking things in stride. No tempers flaring, people being polite to others. They showed on the news one store owner gave all of his ice cream away and cooked all of the raw meat up and feed hundreds.

Several sub divisions have water several feet into their house, but they are refusing evacuation help. As we drove into Harlingen on the right it looked like the ocean was there. They really got hit by some stronger winds than some thought. It was reported on the news that some of them near the eye with the whip of thunderstorms, caused winds up to 140mph. The rain amounts in one swatch that included Padre and Harlingen and up further are tremendous. Didn't catch the totals, but lots.

I will keep you posted... got to run, forgive errors I haven't proofed.

Colleen
Old 07-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Again, Colleen, we really appreciate the first hand reports. I have been looking at the local telie stations and newspapers online, but, feel the reports are behind time, NO SURPRISE there, eh?? So, your notes are so helpful to us all.

Thanks
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Colleen, we are thinking of you two.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Friends at Palmdale RV Resort on Highway 100 west of Los Fresnos report damage to some permanent units mostly car ports. The wood femces are down around the border of the park and around the pool area. The laundry roof was damaged. The pool and hot tub look like a palm branch salad.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I found that the newspaper from McAllen TX is totally free online, right now.

Google, McAllen Newspapers, the name of of the paper is The Monitor.

Snoop around once you get the paper up, and look for info that for now, it is free. It will take you to a new area, here is part of a URL

http://olive.themonitor.com/

I don't know if it will work or not. If not, try the google approach.

Anyway, there are about 18 pages of some interesting photos and reading on conditions, even by city name. Some full page ads from insurance companies on how to contact them.

If you are a RGV lover, or part time resident, you might find the reading interesting.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have just received an email with 50 pics of Fun N Sun after the hurricane....the damage appears to be widespread but not tooo serious.. mostly trailer skirting and utility sheds...shingle damage and trees broken or down...lots of water around.....If anyone wants to see them I will forward them on...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We are staying at Fun & Sun. If you need information about a certain rig here we can go look at it.

There is damage here, lots of homes with parts of all of their roofs (shingles) gone. Lots of leaking roofs. We are looking at lots of commmercial losses. Just looked at the Port Isabel Press yesterday, but had to deny the loss as they didn't have damage to the roof. Almost all of the rooms have water damage, but the strom didn't tear off part of the roof. Wind driven rain isn't covered on a commercial policy. Had the same thing at Dennys. The have gutted most of their ceiling and insulation as water got into the attic. Couldn't help them, because there wasn't damage to the roof.

Ask any questions and we will try to help out if we have time. Staying really busy.

Looks like the South Padre Island hotel (formally Holiday Inn) will reopen, but it is going to take a while. Lots of work crews down here working on the big commercial buildings.

Colleen
Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I will be staying on K134? in Nov....can you tell me anything about K132.. and M163(the old gent there is alone, we havent hear from him in weeks..) He would remember us as Don, Joyce and Bear the wondermutt from Canada)
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Don,

I will try to check out your spots this weekend. We are leaving the RV by 8:30 and not getting to sleep until 11L30 or midnight. Bob, will be writing up losses this weekend so I will have some free down time in the park on Sat & Sun.

The mosquitos here are just unreal. You don't dare go outside without having tons of Deet on you, and then you need to refresh it several times during the day. There is still tons of standing water in bar ditches for them to breed in.

What is strange, is that if you pulled all of the workers away from buildings, you wouldn't know that there had been a hurricane. Lots of interior damage to things because of wind driven rain.

Ozz,

Your fence may still be standing, but it might be loose in the ground. Saw some fence yesterday, that was still up right, but the entire fence was moved about two inches and was loose in the soil. We will try to look at your spot and see if it is tight.

Colleen
Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Colleen. Most installers down there just sink the fencing into the sand, water pack it. I buried my posts 3' down, and used a sack of concrete for each post, so I think it will be fine. I appreciate you checking on it. The picnic table next to my fence is just planted in the sand.
You should post something in the Campfire section about insurance coverage, it seems that many on the Island were counting on their policies to cover anything storm related, in reality, it seems there are many conditions common to storms, that they are not covered.
Edit;(removed profile)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen

Keep putting on the bug juice.

My curious mind registered the fact that you are complaining about the "skeeters", and I wondered if I could find the time it takes to breed them nasty buggars! So, google, and:

"Most mosquito species require standing water for a minimum of 10 to 14 days to complete their development."

Also a bucket load of info on how much water, how deep, and so forth, but not going there for now.

So, the skeeters that were biting when you first got to the RGV were probably already there, and not from water from the hurricane.

I don't know if that is good or bad??

Keep on doing the deet, cause all that water is gonna breed more. SIGHHHH Stay safe!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was reading my other Forum, the SPI one, they are really suffering the little buggers invasion, Brownsville is as well. Padre is spraying almost non-stop, it is worse than ever remembered there.
Sue and I were in Gulf Shores Alabama less than a year after their big Hurricane, we left there early.
At 5:00 or so, they were banging against the windows, thousands of them, it was scary, some got inside the trailer, we were miserable. Haven't been back since.....
Old 08-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

This area received about 8 inches of rain the week before Dolly arrived. They have been in a drought mode for awile and were glad that they had gotten rain. Of course Dolly brought 10 to 15 inches or rain to lots of areas, so there is still standing water in many places.

Ozz,

Your fence is solid as a rock. Sadly many of your neighbors aren't as fortunate as you are. Your picnic table was fine, as are most of the tables in the park. As I told you on the phone the park was closed for several days and they weren't allowing anyone in the park. They got electricity Wednesday of this week. RV's are starting to stay in the park, in fact some of the adjusters are staying there now.

The mosquitos in Padre aren't as bad as other places as you have a breeze. We were in Port Isabel yesterday and were eaten alive. Bob had sweated off his Deet and was covered by about 50 of the BIG buggers. I sparyed him with Off Deep Woods to keep them off of him. When he is on the roof he isn't bothered by them, the seem to love the grass and anyone that is walking in it. I can't tell you the number of bites that I have on me, and that is with spraying arms and legs several times a day. They are even biting through your shirts and pants.

Santa Rosa and Raymondville area are the hardest hit areas for the standing water. We looked at a Commissioner's house yesterday and the wife was complaining about the skeeters. They are spraying every other day, and putting out briquettes in the standing water. I am sure that it will be all ok when you winter texans get here.

Colleen
Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Don,

I checked out your spaces today. K132 has a Nomad trailer on it with a shed. The trailer is fine, but the shed has minor damage to the roof. Nothing is on K134 and the outlets look fine.

I went to M163 and there isn't a trailer there so not sure what happened to your friend. There wasn't any damage to the spot, so not sure where your friend is.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Colleen