Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Draining Water Lines

I was trying to do a search but the system is just simply too slow!

Is there a place to drain the water lines?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On some model years.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
You will have to look under your unit for (3) plastic tubes with plastic caps on them. One will be under the fresh water tank, the other two "Low Point" drains will usually be under, or near the hot water tank.

It's a very poor design, I removed the caps, and installed gate valves to make it easier to drain. The two low point drains on my unit are reachable from the side of the trailer, the fresh water drain is not, I will be installing an extension on the drain to be able to drain it from the side of the trailer without crawling under it.

A link to a Forum Topic: Low Point Drains
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Depends on the year of the Monty. All have low-point drains under the rig for the freshwater tank as explained above. Older models also have the same type low-point drains for hot and cold BUT the newer rigs with the convenience station have 2 valved drains inside the convenience station.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
It really amazes me how poor some dealers/salespersons are about informing the buyer of an RV of items such as these as well as many other items when turning the RV over to the buyer! I have to give "kudos" to our dealer (Merz RV in Fond du Lac, WI) last month when he did the pre-delivery inspection with me on our new 3600RE. He took nearly two hours to go through almost everything about the unit, then gave me an hour to go through the unit, try out things, then bring him back to answer other questions that we came up with. He also went through the PDI that he/they had performed before my arrival (a check list of nearly 300 items). Though we have owned 6 different Travel Trailers and one 5th Wheel before this unit, we really appreciated the full "tour". It even included testing nearly everything about the HDTV and surround sound system, how each button of the "half-time" oven works, which lights were 12V and which are 110, showing us and testing all the "low point drains", etc. When we are in effect buying a house, we should expect and demand nothing but a full inspection/explanation of all systems.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpbcny

You will have to look under your unit for (3) plastic tubes with plastic caps on them. One will be under the fresh water tank, the other two "Low Point" drains will usually be under, or near the hot water tank.

It's a very poor design, I removed the caps, and installed gate valves to make it easier to drain. The two low point drains on my unit are reachable from the side of the trailer, the fresh water drain is not, I will be installing an extension on the drain to be able to drain it from the side of the trailer without crawling under it.

A link to a Forum Topic: Low Point Drains
I did find one valve which I believe is for the fresh water tank. I don't remember seeing any more but I will take a closer look.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

You would get a much faster and accurate answer if we just knew what year and model Montana you have.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I second Brad!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Am I missing something here???? It is listed in his signature or was that added later???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Bill,

You would get a much faster and accurate answer if we just knew what year and model Montana you have.
I thought the information was in my profile but I guess not, so I placed it in my signature.
On edit, I did find one more drain. At a glance that's all I could find.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Well that explains that, I must have had the timing just right on looking at this thread. Sorry guys, thought I was losing it for sure!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
BTW, I just returned from a weekend of camping with a record high of 93°F in our home area. I'm not sure what day it was but it was a record set by 1° previously in the 1930's according to what I heard. I really wasn't thinking of winterizing over the weekend with all of the highs we have had but the temp here in KY is cooling off pretty fast.

It was a nice weekend though for meeting up with old friends and catching up on things. We met our friends VIA the Airstream forums and planned an un-official rally together. We have been camping nearly every summer since if we can work it out. Our friends have an Argosy and they recently just purchased a new Outback fifth wheel. They are thrilled with it as much as we are with our fifth wheel.

Back to the low drains. After draining the fresh water tank I found only one more low point drain. It looks as though the lines all drain out of it together somehow. So now if my thinking is correct, I have drained the lines and now it’s time to continue winterizing. I think all I need to do is just simply flip the switch near the pump and pump the lines full of RV antifreeze.

So with all of that, thanks for the help!

Oh-again on edit, I have isolated the hot water tank and have it drained as well.

I also met another Montana owner who hadn't heard of the MOC forums, he said he would check it out.