Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Breaker Bar

This thread goes with the one on torque wrenches.

I read somewhere that the torque wrench should not be use backwards, to remove a lug nut. Assuming that was correct, I am going to get a breaker bar, once again from Harbor Freight. Yesterday I received their flyer in the mail, the 1/2" drive breaker bars are on sale: 18" bar for $7.99 and the 25" bar for $9.99.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Working in the aircraft industry for over 38 years, we ran wheels in the test lab till tire or wheel failure. After which we would take breakaway torque to determine if there was any loosening of the bolts during the roll test. Of course we had to use a dial torque wrench, and believe this, it was done to FAA specs. I'm sure if we could use the torque whench to do that that it won't hurt your torque wrench.
Best advice is to use a ratchet wrench or air gun to remove these nuts anyhow! Also refrain from dropping the tr, that's not too good on them either. That will do more harm than removing a nut with it.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eagle Man

This thread goes with the one on torque wrenches.

I read somewhere that the torque wrench should not be use backwards, to remove a lug nut. Assuming that was correct, I am going to get a breaker bar, once again from Harbor Freight. Yesterday I received their flyer in the mail, the 1/2" drive breaker bars are on sale: 18" bar for $7.99 and the 25" bar for $9.99.
I would think they work both ways, I know mine does, and some trucks have left handed threds on the tires lug nuts. why would it have a switch to change the direction.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm with Don, if you're not supposed to use it to remove nuts why does it have a reverse.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
For the same reason you don't use a monkey wrench to drive a nail or a screw driver as a scraper or a pry bar. Tools are made for specific duties and loosening bolts is not the job of a torque wrench or any ratcheting type wrench. My torque wrench is reversable, but the manual still says not to loosen bolts with it. Use a breaker bar. Barney.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My manual says the same thing. Can't believe it can be hurt by that. So... no mfr has the gumption to go ahead and actually make a TW that DOES function both ways with messing up the mechanisms and/or accuracy??? That really TORQUES ME OFF!!! (Sorry couldn't resist... ).

I'm with TT2 - if it is that critical, make it a ONE WAY wrench ONLY... Remove the "idiot" factor.

Apparently, the mfr didn't realize the rough service it was going to get from me IN THE RECOMMENDED DIRECTION. That must have been OK?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The instructions that came with mine also say not to use it to remove nuts. I'm of the opinion that regardless of what we see it can do, we should follow the instructions.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
From what I have read on the Montana forums, the Torque Wrench is set up to be used on either right handed or left handed threads, and torque them to the specific specifications required.

The reason to use a breaker bar to loosen rather than the torque wrench is; for any number of reasons (rust, pressure from the wheel/hub angle of tire to the ground) the pressure can cause the nuts to be well above the torque set on the wrench.

How far beyond the click can you safely go before you rune the torgue wrench? Thats what you stand the chance of doing when you use the Torque Wrench to loosed the nuts.

But to each their own.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK! How about this senario.. I have a left handed nut that has to be torked to 225 lbs OK... now the bolts on my trailer are what ? 150 lbs or there about. so I just set the wrench to 250 and loosen my bolts on the trailer, now seeing that the wrench didnt reach 225 lbs and the nut turned at 160 lbs How in the world can that cause the tork wrench to become inacurate.
I've been using my 18" tork wrench for years that way, and it still works very well and is still accurate + or - a couple of pounds, which is acceptable for wheel nuts, if I was assembling a space shuttle I would have to throw it away. and get one made by Sterrett tools.