Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Slideout ripping vinyl floor

I purchased a new 3075 last December and have just returned from Palm Springs, a round trip of about 2800 miles. On our way home I noticed a tear in the vinyl floor in the kitchen. Feeling underneath the slide when it is in, I can feel 2 screws that seem to have come down and are tearing the floor. I stopped in at Foley's in Washington where I purchased the rig and they have ordered new floor and will replace it as well as pulling the slide out to fix the screws. I am waiting for them to contact me for an appointment time. When I got home I also noticed some black 'shredded gunk' on the bedroom floor. With the bedroom slide out I can see a deep groove in the underside of the slide on the black hardboard underneath the slide caused by another screw somewhere on the frame where the slide comes in. A couple more in & outs and it will be completely through the floor.
I believe this long trip has brought out these problems. If I had been doing just short trips the problem probably would not have happened for a while, possibly after warranty had run out.
I also had to replace a number of door catches as 4-5 doors kept coming open on the road (Lost all my wine glasses and dents in the dining table!) Replaced with a heavier duty catches and have not had any more problems. Any one else had these problems?

markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am sorry to hear of the problems you are encountering. I hope your dealership is able to get things fixed up right away...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the same groove on the underside black stuff on our 06 3400. It is screw that has worked its way up or more than likely, as in our case, is stripped and will not tighten down, see your dealer. As for doors opening that is a common camper problem, any brand. We use those velcro tie wraps you can get at C.w or most any Dealer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We didn't have any problems with our slide until we put down the laminate flooring. We put down the underlayment and that raised the floor by about 1/4 of an inch. Now we do get a slight rub on the very end of the kitchen slide. We replaced the kitchen table last summer and put the screws in too far so when we closed up for our annual southern trip, we put in large scratchs on the floor. Fortunately Home Depot had a sale on the type of laminate we had so we bought three boxes for replacement purposes.

As far as the catches on the doors go, we use the very small bungee cords and haven't had a problem yet.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a big gash in the kitchen vinyl as well, another repair for the dealer.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
My kitchen slide ripped my kitchen floor twice. The first time I was under warranty, and keystone covered the repair and vinyl replacement. The second time was 4 mo. after warranty expired, and keystone refused to cover. They supplied the piece of vinyl but I had to pay for labor. It's caused by screws coming loose. Tony in Customer service claimed it's not faulty workmanship, but that road vibrations cause things to work loose. DUH? It's a trailer with 5200 miles on it,all interstate and highway, no off road or back roads. The rear valence and a sliding door also vibrated off. Even though they put wheels on it, I guess we're supposed to permanently park it.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
eztraveler2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #1441
We own a 06 3400,we are in upstate N.Y.,just the other day we opened up the 5er and noticed that the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and laundry closet has come lose in places from the wood underneath.I wonder if they put enough glue down to hold the flooring down. At first I thought that it was from a leak. However I noticed that the lines for the kitchen and bath still have the anti-freeze in them, no water on floor. I wonder if this could be caused from going from cold to warmer weather. I've never heard of that happening before and I have had campers for twenty years and have winterized my units all the time. I have seen other posts here dealing with problems with the vinyl flooring and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening. I have not hooked up the water yet to check for leaks and I'm leery of doing so. I will be contacting Montana this week, my warranty is up but I have an extended warranty.
eztraveler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote