Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Montana_5968

M.O.C. #5968
clear coating

Hi, We own a 04 Montana 35' and we have a question. Has anyone had a problem with the clear coat peeling off? While cleaning ours we noticed the clear coat was peeling off the nose, we called keystone and they told us to take it in to our dealers so that pictures could be taken and sent to the company. We did this and received back work that this problem was not covered, we have now applied to the extended warranty to see if it is covered under it otherwise we were told it would cost about $1000.00 to redo it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Montana_5968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I wasn't aware that the nose was clearcoated. I don't believe mine is or it wouldn't oxidize. I'm really curious as to why yours is.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi gsilver,

First of all welcome to the MOC. I noticed this is your first post.

About two years ago I had a problem with mine. I started to remove all of the Clear coat with the hopes of getting it down to the paint and then coating it with "New Finish". I used a very fine polishing compound. It was working out but was very labor intensive.

I then showed it to my Dealer and they weren't happy that the Coating was coming off and they decided to send ours out to a RV colision shop, have it totaly striped, repainted, and new graphics. The new paint had the clearcoat in the paint. We just got lucky we had the Dealer we had. It was RV Traders in Mesa AZ.

After posting my problem here, there were at least two others that posted they had similar problems on their front caps. At that time I noticed that we all had 03's. I know yours is a 04 but I'm still suspicious that they had a run of coaches with bad clear coats.

Had I not had a Dealer step up and do what he did, I would have continued striping it myself. I believe It would have looked great..

I wish I had a better answer. Wish you well.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote