Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Possible leak?

While unhooking after coming home today, I noticed there was a small wet spot in the bed of the truck, directly in front of the tailgate and where the hitch protrudes from the the front of the Montana. I felt inside of the pin box area and felt wet insulation and water there. We had not noticed any water around the bed, front closet, or drawer areas. The basement area is completely dry as well. The area to the right appears to be primarily the side wet.

Has anyone else encountered this or do you have any ideas. I do not believe there are any water pipes there either are there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
JD-
Have you been driving in rain?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Charlie, No, we have not been in the rain while pulling. Now, there was VERY hard, blowing rain last Friday and Saturday night, but not while pulling the Montana.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
You might look on top of the trailer at the seam where the cap is connected and make sure there is ample sealant on the seam and no obvious gaps.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
J.D: Charlie is probably right. We had the same sort of problem as you. Larry Fox in Middlebury, In. found the caulking needed a touch up on the top cap seam. Apparently when it rained the water was going down the inside front cap and laying on the bottom where the hitch is and running out from there. No problem since.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bill, I think both of you are probably correct. When the afternoon cooled down some, I went up on top and did not readily see anything except part of the rubber molding that dresses up the seams had worked its way loose, which I pushed back into place, but that does not mean that is not the problem. Honestly, though, I do not see what else it could be…