Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Montana_3230

M.O.C. #3230
Dining room slide out

Has anyone had a problem with their slide out. I have had my 2001 Montana in to find out why our slide out is sluggish and after it has sat for the winter, it will not open up unless you have one person pressing the out button while another one is pushing the slide out at the same time. The dealer couldn't understand why it acts this way and put on a second switch up under our bed section. It still acts the same, no improvement. Another dealer adjusted the slide out but still no improvement. I'm wondering if it could be the actural motor unit outside underneath the slide out that drives the slides. Curious if anyone has any ideas what could cause this??

Montana_3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I don't know to much about the slides but check to make sure you have enough fluid and that the valves are open in by you pump uf you have them. We have three slides and three little valves by the pump. I think if one is not all the way open the slide will move real slow. I'm sure that the man from lippert will get on here with some ideas.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Montana_3230

M.O.C. #3230
Thanks Ron, unfortunately my slide doesn't have a pump. It is a motor that is gear driven.
Montana_3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sounds like an electric slide. The lubrication in the motor drive and the worm gear probably needs to be washed out and changed. Does it use a rack and pinon to keep the slide straight??? If it does lube the pinion bushings.... oil them up good... let soak in and oil again... then give it a try. Let us know how it goes.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Good advice from Gruffy. I might add that these Elect. slide motors are DC motors. You should make sure your 12 Volt system is in good shape, that the converter and battery are operating correctly. Check the Voltage at the Motor. I'm also thinking the Elect. Motor has brushes which may need to be changed. They do wear out over time. If your mechanically inclined you should be able to replace them yourself, unless the Manufacturer has designed them so they can not be rebuilt. If this is the case you'd have to replace the Motor.

Wish you well and Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rwetzel, you didn't say whether the slide mechanism under the slide has been lubed. I don't recall the mechanism in the 2001 but remember our 2001 was different from our 2003. On ours there are two square bars with teeth along the bottom. I use a dry spray lube made for slides but other lubes would likely work. Just use something that won't attract dirt. I lubricate that entire bar, especially the teeth. Also in the gear itself, the gear at the end of those bars. I can tell when ours needs lubing. It gets a bit jumpy when retracting/extending.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote