Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone has special sessions for "input") and they do rely on the Montana owners to "give them heck)

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #42
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am making a list.

Some I honestly think they will fix--no cost
Some I may just get a head nod.
And some they may think I am crazy, but will be too polite to say so.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdklein2 View Post
I full time & camp host regularly, been around both types of leveling systems.
I've found that when you extend the front jacks, don't pull the telescoping jack pins until your're almost to ground contact. Prior to setting the balance of the jacks, telescope each out to ground contact. Then press the auto level feature.
This will ensure the middle and rear end jacks have enough travel to complete the leveling sequence. Just remember, they build these units to sell......not to work!

"don't pull the telescoping jack pins until your're almost to ground contact."

This is referring to the electric system as on the HC unit as the hydraulic system on The Montana's do not have telescoping jack pins. It confuses the issue when we do not state which system we are posting about. We all seem to do it including myself.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #44
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
"don't pull the telescoping jack pins until your're almost to ground contact."

This is referring to the electric system as on the HC unit as the hydraulic system on The Montana's do not have telescoping jack pins. It confuses the issue when we do not state which system we are posting about. We all seem to do it including myself.

Well if it only refers to system and not the other does he really need to be that specific? I mean when folks start talking about hydraulic leaks I know they are not talking HC.

We are going to have fun in Goshen!! and yes I am laughing at this as I type.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #45
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I am making a list.

Some I honestly think they will fix--no cost
Some I may just get a head nod.
And some they may think I am crazy, but will be too polite to say so.
I’m sure it’s a lllloooooonnnnngggggg list. But considering how universal the issue of error messages are with Lippert electric auto level systems, you gotta think it’s going to be a very hot topic that deserves to be resolved.

My thoughts are:

Make the entry pad more user friendly. If they had a lit button for EACH jack that could be pushed to put that jack in manual mode (or any combination of jacks) with an associated up/down button it would help a lot!! Sometimes MORE buttons is simpler even if it costs more to make!! For certain having to refer to a multiple button pushing sequence is ludicrous.

Make it easier to clear errors!!! The manually drop all jacks then retract all requires you too back your truck back under the trailer!! That is simply unacceptable! How about having the jacks automatically “rehome” every time they are at EITHER maximum stroke OR minimum and or make it where you can rehome only the jack that errors by retracting it alone! Anything would better than current method!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Well if it only refers to system and not the other does he really need to be that specific? I mean when folks start talking about hydraulic leaks I know they are not talking HC.

We are going to have fun in Goshen!! and yes I am laughing at this as I type.

You may know and I know and some others know but it is obvious by the postings that many others do not know.. Yes you will have fun at the Fall rally.
It is fun and educational.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #47
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Jim I think what they are doing is trying to reduce the # of SKU they have. In other words make the electric and hydraulic controls as similar as possible. Not sure which came first.

To clear errors I have not have to re hook it up to the truck. I just retract every thing with the truck out of the way. I have had to use a ratchet the first time for an over extended jack. What ever changes that will be made will have to be firmware in nature. I am willing to bet they will not change the keypad.

I know Keystone is using the leveling systems to differentiate the HC from Montana, but the electric jacks are just too problematic. The service writer at Camper Clinic agrees they are more problems than their worth. This issue alone keeps me from recommending the HC brand to anyone. Next steps for me is if Warranty dept cannot find an issue, I'll call lippert. If no satisfaction there, well I will be at Goshen--provided I get my knee fixed by then.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #48
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Jim I think what they are doing is trying to reduce the # of SKU they have. In other words make the electric and hydraulic controls as similar as possible. Not sure which came first.

To clear errors I have not have to re hook it up to the truck. I just retract every thing with the truck out of the way. I have had to use a ratchet the first time for an over extended jack. What ever changes that will be made will have to be firmware in nature. I am willing to bet they will not change the keypad.

I know Keystone is using the leveling systems to differentiate the HC from Montana, but the electric jacks are just too problematic. The service writer at Camper Clinic agrees they are more problems than their worth. This issue alone keeps me from recommending the HC brand to anyone. Next steps for me is if Warranty dept cannot find an issue, I'll call lippert. If no satisfaction there, well I will be at Goshen--provided I get my knee fixed by then.

Get well soon and good luck with them at rally.

FYI, I have a background in industrial electronics. They need to make those keypads more user friendly!!! Even for hydraulic style

And I would love to see keystone drop the Montana vs High Country and just offer different trim levels on the same floor plans I would particularly like to see a HC 381 in higher trim/options package. Would trade tomorrow for it
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They tell us that they try to offer different price points and different trim levels.
The Montana is their best selling brand so they stick the name on as many brands they can. Remember the Mountaineer became the Montana a couple of years ago and the Montana became the Montana Legacy. Marketing....
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
They tell us that they try to offer different price points and different trim levels.
The Montana is their best selling brand so they stick the name on as many brands they can. Remember the Mountaineer became the Montana a couple of years ago and the Montana became the Montana Legacy. Marketing....
Yeah I get that. Sometimes confusing the customers is best way for them to go in sales. Ever try to buy a mattress lol

Then again having different brands allows them to have multiple dealers in the same area while claiming to the dealer that they have exclusive territory. Remember Chevy and GMC

But of course this is straying from the topic

I wish you well with Lippert. I get the feeling at least they will listen
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not ever had a problem with lippert. We do have the advantage of living within 3 hours of Goshen/ Elkhart and being able to go to all of the fall rallies. I remember lippert had a frame with the hydraulic system at the fall rally a few years ago doing a demonstration and I said "I have got to have one of those" We had the advantage of a in depth explanation and demonstration of how the system worked. We did get the system on our 2013 Big Sky.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #52
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
level up

If you can be at your unit and call Lippert tech service from there they will talk you through the sequence or whatever needed to operate your unit unless there is a faulty part that is the problem. I have done this 2 times on my 2014 HC. I love the 3.0 level up and the ease of setting up with it. By the way I think some HCs have hydraulics now.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #53
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
We have a 2015 Montana 3160 Legacy. Our hydraulic level up has worked well for two years. Now after sitting for four months, the Auto Level function leaves the nose and right side high. We went through the Reset Zero mode - manually level then turn off the touch pad. Touch the Front button 10x then the Rear button 10x, the touch pad is supposed to come back on. It doesn't. Re-try twice. Nothing.

Ideas?
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #54
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
We have a High Country and we need to manually drop the front jacks before auto levelling. When we bought the rig a mechanic told us to use the 5th hole or the 7th hole before auto levelling and we would have no problems. He has been right so far.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #55
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
hi,

I have the Lippert 3.0 system cutting power and die during leveling or putting jacks down.
Is this also to be solved with a bigger fuse?

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #56
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Are you getting any errors?
Does it happen just when using Auto Level?
Can you manually level it?
How do you get it working again, if you do?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #57
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
The fuse or circuit breaker should be sized for the wire, not the load. You may need to upsize the wire to the jacks. I suspect we all do. Or doesn't matter what I do if the ground is too unleavened the rear jacks trip the circuit breaker on my 2016 362RD. It just can't lift the unit very high in the rear without tripping.
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #58
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Thanks, so the bigger fuse only works for the hydraulic systems?

Its always when the system has work a little harder it is tripping.
No matter if on auto level function or manually

Seems we have o live with that.
Great

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote