Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Induction cooking hotplate.

Anybody know about induction cooking that uses an electromagnetic field to heat the pan. The claims are it is the fastest, most efficient way to cook. We use induction heaters at work to heatup bearings for installation but these things growl and in fact that is their nickname, "growlers" Will the hotplate make the same noise?

Reason I am asking is that Costco.ca has a cookware set with an induction heating plate for 250 CAD. Great deal if they are as good as they claim. Any body out there have one?
http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Pr...rodid=10295188

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have a stove with the induction heat in our stick house. Since I do most of the cooking, I have experience with both the induction type and plain ole gas. I prefer the gas for precision heat, althought the induction is a close second.

The only thing that I can say, other than the heating, is that they are hard to keep clean, even with the special cleaner for the glass, and they use high wattage. The electric bill gets up there when using the stove regularly.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We had an induction cooktop in our last stick home. We really liked it for quick cooking and quick cool-down. The only downside for us was that neither aluminum, glass, nor copper pots / pans will work with it. We were constantly on the lookout for cookware that would work. (Carry a magnet with you when you shop; if the magnet won't stick to the bottom of the pot then it won't work on an induction cooktop.)

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote