Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2005, 02:44 AM   #21
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I replaced the brakes on my old TT a few years ago. When I really got looking, I noticed that the main wiring harness was only 14 gage wire. While that is enough to handle the amperage seen at the brakes, I wondered about voltage drop. So I re-wired the entire thing with some 10 gage I had. Totally over kill, but...

Problem was I had a short right off the bat.

Fortunately, I was able to borrow a clamp-on DC amp meter. Using that I was able to quickly locate the source of my problem.

If you don't have one, beware that they are many $$$. If you need to find out DC amperage in a single circuit (or locage a short) and can borrow one from somewhere, they are the bees knees.

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:41 PM   #22
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
Am I glad to hear that others have had this problem. We picked up a new 2955RL in Indiana in March. The first day on the road was fine. Starting late in the day on the second day the Ford (2005) brake controller started to intermittently repord a trlr disconnect error which means no brakes are available from the trlr. This fault would last only seconds and correct itself. We continued as no place to get it repaired. In New Orleans I was able to take the Ford in for a check, answer no problem on our end. I undid the connection box in the kingpin and found a just barely inserted white ground wire in a wirenut. Tightened that and thought that would fix the problem. No dice.

After returing to CA (by the way down Cajon pass) I redid the wire connections at the wheels on the drivers side. The wires are connected with the blue press lock wire connectors and I do not trust them. Put regular wirenuts and tape on the wires. Took it for a 30 mile test drive and I think I have solved the problem. I could not drive any day since this started for 30 miles and not have the problem appear. Also tied the wires to the supporst for the axles to limit movement.

Hope this will help someone.
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #23
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
UPDATE!

First of all, thanks to all of you that contributed to the thread.

I'll try to make a long story short by saying that after waiting 2 weeks and getting the run-around from the mobile RV repair guy (Advantage RV Repair) I fixed the brakes myself.
I called Team Montana Thursday and talked to Jerry about my dilemma. He told me that Montana would not warranty the axles and to call Dexter Axle for warranty issues. He gave me the number for Ron at Dexter. Ron was very helpful and was fairly certain that there was a wire in one of the hubs that was shorted. Sure enough, I found the same issue that Larry & LaVonne Hummel (CRUZIN 2) had. The clip holding the wire came loose allowing the wire to chafe against the brake arm. I pulled all 4 wheels apart and there were 2 clips that were off but only one had shorted.

Doug & Margee (D and M On The Road) Thanks for pointing me to the "Door lock" & "Broken compartment key" topics. As soon as possible, I'm going to change out my locks.

The sad part of this experience is that the Montana condones the Mike Thopmson’s of the RV world. As long as they are selling their coaches, the service, or lack of, isn’t and issue. The fact that some of you have had your trailers at dealer service centers for months only tells me that they are doing everything in their power to deter you from seeking any warranty service. How convenient.

Ken, (waiting for the next thing to go wrong)
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote