Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Rats in my ceiling

Hey
I haven't seen any sign of rats in my 2016 Montana 3661 RL but I hear them in the ceiling and walls !! We are full timers ! How do I get rid of them before they do damage !! Thanks so much for your help .. I have tried the soap and the dryer sheets but since they are in the ceiling and walls doesn't seem to help

traclbobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Best to consult an exterminator or an exorcist.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
My husbands a retired minister !!!! I'll get him started !!!
Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
You may already have problems caused by them. They seem to be very hard to get rid of them as I found out in my old Vangard. I used various types of traps and even resorted to poison. I would win for a while then they would be back. Be cautious in cleaning up after them and use bleach, gloves and possibly a dust mask. Your best option might be the professional exterminators.

Tom Marty
Old 12-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Thank you so much .. Realky appreciate your help !!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by traclbobl View Post
My husbands a retired minister !!!! I'll get him started !!!
Seriously though, you wouldn't want a bunch of dead mice or rats in the walls and ceiling. An exterminator may have a way of getting them out without killing them inside. No, I'm not referring to leading them out by the Pied Piper with his pipe.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just got mice in our Montana.We have eliminated two in the last two days. We use the sticky traps that work very well and do not leave dead mice in the walls or ceiling. Can not find how they got in yet. they are in the pantry W/D section of our 3402 and we suspect the dryer outlet.This is only the second time in 11 years we have had a mouse problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
If mice want in the RV they are getting in, virtually impossible to keep out as they can squeeze through an opening the size of the end of your little finger... traps and Warfarin are the defenses.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
We are trying everything I haven't seen any evidence of them anywhere I just hear them !! .. I hear them in the ceiling and walls every night ... really want to get this under control before they destroy our new Fifth wheel !! Thank you !! I'll keep trying !!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by traclbobl View Post
We are trying everything I haven't seen any evidence of them anywhere I just hear them !! .. I hear them in the ceiling and walls every night ... really want to get this under control before they destroy our new Fifth wheel !! Thank you !! I'll keep trying !!
I have read all the replies in this thread, and the way these trailers are constructed, I don't see how a mouse can possibly get into, much less travel through the outside walls. They are filled with Styrofoam and are a complete aluminum frame. The INTERIOR walls maybe?
The roof, I suppose they would have to go up the bathroom wall and follow a vent pipe up there. That should give you a good place to try and catch them as access to the attic is limited even for a mouse.

Mark
Old 12-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Hey Mark
Thank you for your reply !!! How do they get to the inside walls and how should I try to get them !! As you can tell we are rookies !! Thanks for your help !! And sorry to be so ignorant .. where is the bathroom pipe ?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
you would need to pull some panels out from the basement pass through area, and plug up where the pipes pass through the floor. Also put some sticky traps under there.

Mark
Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Thank you Mark !!!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We found the entry point for our Mece (see post #7) they got in via the side compartment. We removed the bottom air return under the steps in our 3402 and observed droppings in that mess back there.The WD drain pipe is right there and they went up the pipe into the pantry. Looks like mom and dad mouse got in and had little ones. We got mom and dad with the sticky traps over the last two nights. They appear to like ritz crackers so we spread then around the sticky traps under the steps and the pantry. The sticky traps work very well but do not kill the mouse so you have to dispatch them. One of our landscaping stones weighing about 10 lbs or so dropped from a height of about 4 feet on the stuck mouse flattened then out pretty good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Thank for he info ... we will start looking in all these places !! I've looked in the pantry .. haven't found anything yet but I will keep
Searching .. they are there !! What is your take on traps and fresh cab and sonic device used all at the same time ??? I have had some say not to use them together ? What do y'all think !!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Bait a couple old style traps with peanut butter and place them on the floor of the basement storage area. They will be drawn to the PB smell and WHAM! No more mouse problem.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We found the entry point for our Mece (see post #7) they got in via the side compartment. We removed the bottom air return under the steps in our 3402 and observed droppings in that mess back there.The WD drain pipe is right there and they went up the pipe into the pantry. Looks like mom and dad mouse got in and had little ones. We got mom and dad with the sticky traps over the last two nights. They appear to like ritz crackers so we spread then around the sticky traps under the steps and the pantry. The sticky traps work very well but do not kill the mouse so you have to dispatch them. One of our landscaping stones weighing about 10 lbs or so dropped from a height of about 4 feet on the stuck mouse flattened then out pretty good.
So Richard believes in the 'Death Penalty',lol.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
One thing I have noticed about mice is they tend to be drawn to where we dwell for two things, food and warmth. Do everything you can to eliminate them being able to smell or get at food stuffs. Then do everything you can to eliminate places where they can nest (they love messy closets where they can hide). If your full time look in all those dark creepy crevices very frequently. They don't seem to like a lot of attention on their nesting sites. After that all you can do is the traps. You have to be persistent as there are always more mice to replace the ones you trap and they breed like well......mice. If you keep the adult populations under control at least you won't suddenly be surprised by a whole army of them. We use old fashioned spring traps and sticky traps both baited with peanut butter.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Thank you all so very much !! This is very helpful !!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
We had one this past year who I can only assume came in through by climbing the water hose and into the service center. As any of you who own a 3790 or 91 know the door does not close tight to the service center wall when closed so my solution was to take a plunger(new of course)drill a hole large enough for the water hose to pass through and put the plunger inside the service center with a rock on it and voila a sealed water entry and no more mice. By the way he suffered a sudden painless exit form the grand place called earth
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote