Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Brake adjustment

In preparation for an upcoming trip, I decided to check the brake adjustment. I found that the rubber plugs for the adjustment hole were still painted shut. Even though I had only pulled the Monty 1000 miles since new I was suprised by the amount of adjustment that was necessary. It then dawned on me that the trailer had been towed from Elkhart to Phoenix, AZ before I got it. Since the plugs were still painted shut the dealer had not touched the brakes before delivery. I was stupid to think that the dealer would have done anything like checking the brakes. Might be something else to add to a PDI list.
Another thought is that when they are towing the trailers to the dealers there is no battery in them, which means that the breakaway switch is inoperable. I thought that most states required operable breakaway brakes, but then I have been wrong before.

ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The breakaway may not work but the brakes sure do. While at the factory service center last month there was a steady stream of new trailers leaving the factory and many of the haulers had their brake controllers set so aggressive that the tires were sliding and smoking when they stopped out front.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe I should follow mine all the way from the plant to my dealer??? Hate flat spots on my tires...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just read in my manual that the Dexter brakes are now self adjusting and maybe the plugs are still in the drums in case the self adjusters don't work or because they still use the old casting. On all my previous Fivers I adjusted the brakes every 10000 miles or so. I guess I don't have to any more.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
What's this about self adjusting brakes? Is it true? And how do I determine if my trailer has them?

I like goofing off a lot more than trying to adjust the brakes.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
I have a 2005 3500rl with the self adjusting brakes, but i will still check the adjustment every 5000 miles. Self adjusters have been known to fail. By checking brakes adjustment now and then, you will know that your brakes are working.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
If you are adjusting your brakes for the first time, remember that the front and rear axles adjust in different directions. I, not knowing that adjusted the front axle fine, then undid the brakes on the rear axle. Live and learn.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Now that's strange, mine are the same. I guess it doesn't really make much difference as long as you know which way to go.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
A thought to keep in mind is that not many of the commercial toters that I knew or know use the truck brakes when they're delivering trailers. The thought is 'the trailer is new, has brakes, why should I wear mine out. Let the next guy worry.' Lived in the South Bend/Elkhart area for 50+ years and talked to many of them.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I just spent two day under ours adjusting brakes and re-working the brake connectors. My dealer was suppose to have adjusted mine a while back because we were having controller shorts and error codes on our Ford. I found they needed a lot of adjustment as did most of the connections. I think I have solved my problems. I know my rig stops better and has a better feeling of control.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
how are the brakes adjusted? How much drag is proper??
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I adjusted mine just like you would any vehicle with drum brakes with a brake tool from the back side of the hubs. I adjusted them until they just begin to touch. You adjust them as you spin the wheel hub and when they just begin to touch, you gack off one round on the adjuster and call it good. This is the way they have adjusted brum breaks for as long as I cn remember. Hope this helps. Keep in mind, you have to have it jacked up and preferable on jack stands for safety.

quote]Originally posted by illapah

how are the brakes adjusted? How much drag is proper??
[/quote]
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #13
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Native Tex
Did you mean to say 1 click instead of 1 round to back off after they touch?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I adjusted the brakes by jacking one wheel at a time using a floor jack. I tightened the adjuster until it was too tight to move the tire. I then backed the adjustment off until I could grab the tire and spin the wheel and have the tire rotate just over one full rotation before it stopped. I was told that this was the best way to adjust brakes on another trailer that I purchased. I have gone over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado twice in the last week and the brakes have worked very well.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote