Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Recommendations for Monument Valley

Planning a trip to Monument Valley in late October 2014. Just started planning, looking for recommendations for rv parks, tours of the valley, etc. Like to take in Grand Canyon and other sites while there.
Thanks in advance for all first hand experiences.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Devildog,
I just left Monument Valley. I stayed at Goulding Campground . Price is up there and tour prices even more so. If you are into movie history the tour means more. John Wayne movies shot from inside the Reservation tour area.
I also recommend Gooseneck State Park about 30 miles north. Then Moab and Arches National Park.
Don't forget Page, AZ and Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon. Ok plan a second trip to see some of those.
My blog has pictures of the areas I mentioned.
Contact me if you have more questions.
Safe travels.
Semper Fidelis
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gouldings.

Price worth it, unless you want to go into the reservation and boondock, they allowed that when we were there a couple of years ago.

Take their tour, do not look at the price of the ticket, pull out the ca$h or credit card and pay and enjoy and don't fret the price. IT is SOOOOO worth it! They do take you places that you cannot drive, even your 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Just one of several posts I wrote on Reflections from our visit there.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When we were there several years ago we able to boondock near the visitors center and had gorgeous view out our window along with peace and quiet
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
All suggestions are sounding good. I am starting to research gouldings. Like most everyone that works and travels, two weeks sounds like a lot of time, but with travel out ther and back it shortens quite a bit.
John, I can see from what you said that this area is a multi trip exploration.
We were hoping to go back to Wyoming, simply because I am looking to transfer ther3 as I g3t my house sold. But that time of year, the weather could be a factor.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
www.blandingutah.org and http://www.bluemountainrvpark.com/. You most definitely need to do the Valley of the Gods drive. It will be dry that time of year so you will be ok. It wasn't marked to well the last time we were there. The Mex restaurant across from the motel in Mex Hat was a good place to eat if their still open. Enjoy but try not to drive that road late evening unless you go slow, deer... lots of deer
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
After retirement I would so love to haul my horses out there and ride around and see the sites! I have been a cowboy at heart all my life and can just imagine the scenery! Probably a pipedream!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Dont wait! Now is the time to do it!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #9
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Gouldings is nice. Went there 2yrs ago on our way to Moab.
We are going again end of this month on our way to Capital Reef.
Sunrise and sunsets are gorgeous.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
If you stay at Gouldings there is a pretty impressive arch just behind the campground and is on campground property. I didn't take the tour through Monument Valley cuz I thought our 4WD was good enough...well it was "good enough" but I can now recommend the tour because its pretty rough on your vehicle.
Trailer Village at the South Rim is nice and the North Rim campground is very nice, with the exception of the unlevel sites. Check out campgroundreviews.com. Have fun...great trip!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote