Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Health insurance

As I stated in another thread, we retired and hit the road 2/1/10. After having many conversation with an agent and before we hit the road, we thought we could get medical insurance for Leonard in Texas. (I am old enough for Medicare). He is 61, has high blood pressure. We wanted a high deductible Health Savings Account. We now are told by our agent that he can not get any insurance coverage because of the high pressure. We could keep his coverage from NJ but at almost $700 a month and it is an HMO. We can not in any way afford that.

What do the rest of you do for health coverage?

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We have lived in TX over 30 years, but went fulltime to the coast in 2007. DW had tried to keep insurance after she retired early in 2003 through an agency, but it wouldn't cover anything, and went up every month. So, we stayed put down here, and she went back to work and got insurance. I'm on SSDI, and had medicare, but elected to go with Humana. I either get my meds from Wally World on their generic list, or get them from Mexico. I have been very pleased with the Humana. I had surgery last July that totaled $54,000, and I had to pay around $600 of that. Insurance for the spouse is definitely a challenge if they don't work and have a group plan.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am not a full timer, but do live in Texas. Retired at 62. Rarely sick and never been hospitilized. When Cobra ran out, I had to look for individual insurance. Because of high blood pressure, high cholestrol, and occasional palpations (all fully controlled by meds and never a problem), I could not get a conventional policy. But Texas has their state insurance risk pool that must insure you, at a price. But that was all I could get in the way of a major medical type policy. Expensive, but considering what can happen financially without one, we pay the price.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
Just before we went full time we were declined coverage because of wife's blood pressure and cholesterol. The Texas high risk pool was too expensive so we elected to self insure. The wife sees a dr. in Md. and Co. each once a year. She gets her lab work done on her own and the Drs. give her scripts which are filled at Walmart. Our costs are a fraction of what the insurance premiums would be but... we are gambling that nothing major happens before medicare eligibility. We'll let you know in 6 years how we made out.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phyllen, I am assuming from your comments that you probably signed up with Escapees. If so, you might give them a call. I'm sure they've dealt with this situation before and perhaps could provide some good information or point you to an agent who knows what to do. Just a suggestion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote